independent immigrant visa

Old Sep 5th 2001, 11:07 am
Kerry Wright

Hi My boyfriend is living in Canada permanently and has a landed immigrant's status -
he was head hunted there by an engineering firm. I am now applying for an independent
visa (we don't want to get married yet!) and I have sufficient points etc, and am
nearly ready to send it in. Is there a particular time of year that is best to apply?
Also, once I arrive in Canada do I have to work immediately in order to keep my visa
or could I take 3-6 months off to travel the country? Thanks for your help, Kerry

Old Sep 5th 2001, 11:58 am
James Metcalfe

Kerry:

Any time is a good time as the systems is very slow right now. The sooner the better.

Once you become a permanent resident you do not have to work , your can travel , fish
or do whatever pleases you

Jim metcalfe, Consultant and former visa officer.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 6th 2001, 8:51 am
Kerry Wright

Thanks for that James. One more question - once I receive my visa (fingers crossed!!)
is there a time limit on when I need to make the move?

Kerry

"James Metcalfe" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Hi My boyfriend is living in Canada permanently and has a landed immigrant's[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > status - he was head hunted there by an engineering firm. I am now applying for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > an independent visa (we don't want to get married yet!) and I have sufficient[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > points etc, and am nearly ready to send it in. Is there a particular time of year[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > that is best to apply? Also, once I arrive in Canada do I have to work[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > immediately in order to keep my visa or could I take 3-6 months off to travel the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > country? Thanks for your help, Kerry[/usenetquote2]

Old Sep 6th 2001, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

CN Tower is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kerry,
Before your visa is issued, you have to have your medical. The visa is then valid for a year from the date you had the medical and you must 'land' within that timeframe...

Regards CN.
Old Sep 8th 2001, 4:27 pm
Matthew East

Hi Kerry, where you're applying from has more bearing on processing time than the
time of year. Try to find out what your local CHC time line is and then try to post
your application so you can land in the spring. The amount of money your bringing is
more important than whether your going to work straight away or take time out.
You're supposed to be able to support yourself for 3 months from your own resources
anyway. If your UK/Eire based try visiting the yahoo club Britain to Canada
immigration. Matt.

Kerry Wright <[email protected]> wrote in article

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >