Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How long does it take to immigrate to canada

How long does it take to immigrate to canada

Old Oct 25th 2004, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

taniakellybaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long does it take to immigrate to canada

Hi
My husband and I have just started looking into immigrating to Canada. We wanted to get an idea of how long it takes roughly from the initial application to actually being allowed to move there.
Thanks
Old Oct 25th 2004, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

charlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How long does it take to immigrate to canada

Originally Posted by taniakellybaker
Hi
My husband and I have just started looking into immigrating to Canada. We wanted to get an idea of how long it takes roughly from the initial application to actually being allowed to move there.
Thanks
HELLO,

I spoke the Canadian High Commission a couple of weeks back at the 'Emigrate Show' at Sandown race course. I was told as a guideline, once your application form has been received initially checked and accepted you should receive your AOR (File Number) within 3 months. 18 months later you will receive a letter asking you to attend an interview, or that your interview has been waived and to go for your medicals, (we were also told in the group seminar that around 80% of UK applicants are waived, so DO NOT have to have an interview) Then after the medical stage apparently the last stage is staight forward and quite quick, so on the whole it should take between 20-24 months, providing there are no problems with your application. Before you submit your application CHECK, CHECK and CHECK again.

Please note this information is based on the Skilled Worker Visa. There is another show coming up in March 2005, where you can speak to the high commission direct and attend the seminar, which is very informative.

Good Luck
Old Oct 25th 2004, 10:11 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

CIC update roughly every three months processing times and average times can be found on their main site:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...2-skilled.html

These are for applications put in between June 2003 and June 2004.
And times for London are between 16 and 33 months start to finish.

They was updated August 2004, so maybe soon they may update.

Hi
Thanks
Old Oct 25th 2004, 10:17 pm
Moved from Chester UK

IckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really nice

Originally Posted by charlie1
There is another show coming up in March 2005, where you can speak to the high commission direct and attend the seminar, which is very informative.
Hi Charlie,

Could you tell me were I can find out about these Seminars?

Thanks
Helen
Old Oct 25th 2004, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

charlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gooding
CIC update roughly every three months processing times and average times can be found on their main site:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...2-skilled.html

These are for applications put in between June 2003 and June 2004.
And times for London are between 16 and 33 months start to finish.

They was updated August 2004, so maybe soon they may update.
Hi,

The London High Commission deal with the a lot of the Gulf States, which are the applicants which are taking up to 33months to process, as a high percentage of these applicantions need interviews. As around 80% of Uk applicants are waived for interview, 33 months is highly unlikely.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by IckleHelen
Hi Charlie,

Could you tell me were I can find out about these Seminars?

Thanks
Helen
Hello Helen,

I will find out the dates and get back to you, another great source of information is the 'Canada News' which is a monthly paper which is packed full of informative information, and extremely useful, it is published by 'outbound publishing' who are the sponsers of the 'Emigrate Show'

As soon as I found the info I get back to you

Regards
Ann
Old Oct 25th 2004, 10:37 pm
Moved from Chester UK

IckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really nice

Originally Posted by charlie1
Hello Helen,

I will find out the dates and get back to you, another great source of information is the 'Canada News' which is a monthly paper which is packed full of informative information, and extremely useful, it is published by 'outbound publishing' who are the sponsers of the 'Emigrate Show'

As soon as I found the info I get back to you

Regards
Ann
Thanks for this and your reply to my other thread. Also sorry, I note you are called Ann not Charlie.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by IckleHelen
Thanks for this and your reply to my other thread. Also sorry, I note you are called Ann not Charlie.
Hi Helen,

I know the show is in March 05, but I'm not to sure of the dates, I think the best thing to do is try this website: www.canadanews.co.uk , I'm sure you'll find the exact dates of the show here.

If I can help in any other way please let me know, myself and my husband have been in your shoes, and it can all seem a bit daunting at the beginning of the application process.

Kindest Regards

Ann
Old Oct 25th 2004, 11:26 pm
Moved from Chester UK

Ann,

Thanks again.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

majb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Thanks

Have a look at www.yogi.com for examples of exisiting timelines. The entries in the tracker will become more indictive of the application processing trends as the sample size increases. Also refer to http://www.britishexpats.com/forum/s...d.php?t=257866 for the most recent discussions about the tracker.

majb
Old Oct 26th 2004, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

ChicagoJer is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: How long does it take to immigrate to canada

Originally Posted by majb
Have a look at www.yogi.com for examples of exisiting timelines. The entries in the tracker will become more indictive of the application processing trends as the sample size increases. Also refer to http://www.britishexpats.com/forum/s...d.php?t=257866 for the most recent discussions about the tracker.

majb
The correct web address is http://www.yogi799.com . Good luck !
Old Oct 26th 2004, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

majb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ChicagoJer
The correct web address is http://www.yogi799.com . Good luck !
You are right and thanks for the correction.

majb