Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How long do I get to ship my goods?

How long do I get to ship my goods?

Old Jul 16th 2016, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

Ling_Noi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long do I get to ship my goods?

I arrived in Canada last May and submitted my list of goods to follow. They provided me with a stamped form which I need to attach to my shipment when bringing it in.

Fast-forward to today and I still haven't gotten around to doing this (stuff wasn't urgent) however it's clear things are working out and we aren't going back permanently. Whilst the pound is weak against the dollar I'd like to bring stuff over this August as I'm back home then.

The question is then: how long do I have to ship these goods. I was told at the airport but I forgot. Was it 12 months? 24...?

If I'm too late I'll just sell a bunch of it back home. Not much point paying a load of tax for something that didn't end up being necessary.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 5:42 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long do I get to ship my goods?

Hi

Originally Posted by Ling_Noi
I arrived in Canada last May and submitted my list of goods to follow. They provided me with a stamped form which I need to attach to my shipment when bringing it in.

Fast-forward to today and I still haven't gotten around to doing this (stuff wasn't urgent) however it's clear things are working out and we aren't going back permanently. Whilst the pound is weak against the dollar I'd like to bring stuff over this August as I'm back home then.

The question is then: how long do I have to ship these goods. I was told at the airport but I forgot. Was it 12 months? 24...?

If I'm too late I'll just sell a bunch of it back home. Not much point paying a load of tax for something that didn't end up being necessary.

Thanks in advance.
1. Persons who had previously established a residence in Canada for a period of 12 months or more and become permanent residents under IRPA, are not considered as settlers under the Customs Act. The goods accompanying those persons may not be classified under tariff item No. 9807.00.00. For the purpose of the Customs Tariff, these individuals are considered former residents and the goods classified under tariff item No. 9805.00.00 of the Schedule to the Customs Tariff. For more information on tariff item No. 9805.00.00, refer to Memorandum D2-3-2, Former Residents of Canada – Tariff Item No. 9805.00.00.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 7:13 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ling_Noi

Thanks in advance.
As you already submitted a B4 at the time of landing, I believe your goods would be classed as 'settlers effects' regardless. There is no time limit on 'goods to follow' provided a B4 was submitted at the time of landing.

D2-2-1 Memorandum - Settlers' Effects - Tariff Item No. 9807.00.00

11. A Form B4, Personal Effects Accounting Document, will be completed to list all the personal effects being imported, as well as those that will follow at a later date. Even if there are no goods being imported, a Form B4 must be completed at the first point of entry in Canada, listing any or all goods that will be arriving at a later date. (see also 17>28)

Goods to Follow

29. Only goods that were declared and listed as "goods to follow" on the settler's original Form B4 are eligible for duty- and tax-free importation at a later time under tariff item No. 9807.00.00. There is no time limit for importing goods to follow that were listed on the settler's Form B4. Any discrepancy between what was declared on the B4 and the goods to follow should be questioned. Goods that were not declared on the initial entry as "goods to follow" are subject to regular import assessments.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 16th 2016 at 7:18 am.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Ling_Noi is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys.