Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Holiday in Canada - Rehabilitation vs ACRO Cert

Holiday in Canada - Rehabilitation vs ACRO Cert

Old Apr 6th 2019, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Holiday in Canada - Rehabilitation vs ACRO Cert

Hi Guys

I used to post a lot on here before I moved across and right after.

My sister and her family are coming over next year for the first time and I have a question.

Over 20 years ago my BIL was done for a DUI. No sentence - a caution (he was just over the limit) and lost his license for 12 months. Only conviction he's ever had. She's gotten an ACRO and it says "No Live Trace" is this enough or does he still need to do the whole rehabilitation thing?

How does this work? are people with serious offences flagged on the Canadian system? it's not like they ask everyone getting on a plane "Do you have a criminal record?"

Any help is appreciated.
Old Apr 6th 2019, 4:28 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday in Canada - Rehabilitation vs ACRO Cert

HI

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Hi Guys

I used to post a lot on here before I moved across and right after.

My sister and her family are coming over next year for the first time and I have a question.

Over 20 years ago my BIL was done for a DUI. No sentence - a caution (he was just over the limit) and lost his license for 12 months. Only conviction he's ever had. She's gotten an ACRO and it says "No Live Trace" is this enough or does he still need to do the whole rehabilitation thing?

How does this work? are people with serious offences flagged on the Canadian system? it's not like they ask everyone getting on a plane "Do you have a criminal record?"

Any help is appreciated.
1. Except that he would have to apply for an ETA and one of the questions is whether you have a criminal record. The "no live trace" shows that he has a record in the system. He should know that DUI is now considered serious criminality in Canada (as of dec) and he may require rehabilitaiton.

Old Apr 6th 2019, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
HI

1. Except that he would have to apply for an ETA and one of the questions is whether you have a criminal record. The "no live trace" shows that he has a record in the system. He should know that DUI is now considered serious criminality in Canada (as of dec) and he may require rehabilitaiton.
Thank you. So he now applies for an ETA and then if it gets approved he's good to go? Or would it get rejected? Do you fill out on the form the offense you did? I need this to be right as we are paying for all their flights! If you get the ETA and it's approved that means you won't get refused to get on the flight? is that right?
Old Apr 7th 2019, 1:37 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I was convicted of driving while impaired by alcohol or drugs. Can I enter Canada?

If you committed an impaired driving offence before December 18, 2018

Tougher penalties for impaired driving came into effect on December 18, 2018. If you committed an impaired driving offence before this date, we’ll determine if you’re inadmissible based on the penalties in force at the time.

This means you may be inadmissible for criminality, and not serious criminality, unless you received a prison sentence in Canada longer than 6 months.
If you’re inadmissible for criminality, you may be eligible for deemed rehabilitation if at least 10 years has passed since you completed your sentence.
Find out more about overcoming your criminal inadmissibility.

and... https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...eta/apply.html for the eTA

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 7th 2019 at 1:40 am.
Old Apr 7th 2019, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Thank you. So he now applies for an ETA and then if it gets approved he's good to go? Or would it get rejected? Do you fill out on the form the offense you did? I need this to be right as we are paying for all their flights! If you get the ETA and it's approved that means you won't get refused to get on the flight? is that right?
If he applies for an ETA
AND truthfully discloses his record (one of the questions specifically asks about this)
AND is ultimately issued an ETA

Then yes, he can most certainly get on the flight.