Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Hi i am about to apply for PR...am currently on reinstated visitor status.HELP NEEDED

Hi i am about to apply for PR...am currently on reinstated visitor status.HELP NEEDED

Old May 25th 2009, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

may_bettesworth is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Hi i am about to apply for PR...am currently on reinstated visitor status.HELP NEEDED

As i said i just got restored status as a visitor which is valid until may 2010.
I have all my paperwork filled out for my PR and now just need to send it off.
I was told it can take 6-7 mths for them to even look at it.

My query is this....can i take a trip home to uk on this visitor visa?I haven't been home in 2 years and would love my family to meet my 8mth old son.Am i going to get trouble re entering canada?

HELP!!!
Old May 25th 2009, 8:38 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi i am about to apply for PR...am currently on reinstated visitor status.HELP NE

Are you going the Sponsorship route?
Old May 25th 2009, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Hi i am about to apply for PR...am currently on reinstated visitor status.HELP NE

Originally Posted by geo4
Are you going the Sponsorship route?
Hi yes i am.my fiance is canadian and he is sponsering me as common law
Old May 25th 2009, 8:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by may_bettesworth
Hi yes i am.my fiance is canadian and he is sponsering me as common law
Is your application inland or outland? In any event, I think you can leave Canada for a holiday - but hopefully an expert will be along shortly to confirm whether I'm right or wrong.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Old May 25th 2009, 8:52 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

My PR was processed through London (whilst I was working in Canada)

It took six months from start to finish. Be sure to choose this route too as it is by far the quickest.

Good luck.
Old May 25th 2009, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Is your application inland or outland? In any event, I think you can leave Canada for a holiday - but hopefully an expert will be along shortly to confirm whether I'm right or wrong.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
inland i'm currently in calgary.have been for over 2 years.
it would be great to visit my family,i miss them alot.
thanks for replying...and for the welcome!!
Old May 25th 2009, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

My PR was processed through London (whilst I was working in Canada)

It took six months from start to finish. Be sure to choose this route too as it is by far the quickest.

Good luck.
london uk???
how are you able to do that whilst in canada
Old May 25th 2009, 8:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

That's a shame, would have been quicker for you to do it outland. Never mind!

Old May 25th 2009, 8:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

london uk???
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...sorship-Canada

Hope it helps.
Old May 25th 2009, 9:02 pm
Swollen Member

london uk???
As you've been here for more than one year you have the right to get your PR processed by the Canadian Embassy of your native country.

Doing it this way is ALOT quicker than inland as it gets expedited somewhat.
Old May 25th 2009, 9:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

As you've been here for more than one year you have the right to get your PR processed by the Canadian Embassy of your native country.
Anybody can have it processed outland can't they? Don't think there is a minimum time you have to have been in Canada.
Old May 25th 2009, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

You can. I did it several times while waiting for my lengthy inland spousal application to be finalised - BUT you have no guaranteed right to re-entry, regardless of how long your current visitor's status is valid... Leaving Canada means that you're basically at the mercy of whatever immigration official you see when you pass through Calgary airport on your way back in.

Like I said, I did it - but your are definitely taking a (very small) risk...
Old May 25th 2009, 9:22 pm
Swollen Member

Anybody can have it processed outland can't they? Don't think there is a minimum time you have to have been in Canada.
I thought not.

Old May 25th 2009, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

That's a shame, would have been quicker for you to do it outland. Never mind!

ok so i just spoke to a lady at CIC and she said i can leave and come back but it is at the discretion of the immigration officer as to whether they let me back in.
How common is it to be refused entry?Am i taking an unnecessary risk in going home?
Old May 25th 2009, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
You can. I did it several times while waiting for my lengthy inland spousal application to be finalised - BUT you have no guaranteed right to re-entry, regardless of how long your current visitor's status is valid... Leaving Canada means that you're basically at the mercy of whatever immigration official you see when you pass through Calgary airport on your way back in.

Like I said, I did it - but your are definitely taking a (very small) risk...
ok in your opinion(as you did leave several times)what is the best thing to say when re entering?That you are applying for PR or visitng?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.