British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Hi i am about to apply for PR...am currently on reinstated visitor status.HELP NEEDED (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/hi-i-am-about-apply-pr-am-currently-reinstated-visitor-status-help-needed-611182/)

may_bettesworth May 25th 2009 8:11 pm

Hi i am about to apply for PR...am currently on reinstated visitor status.HELP NEEDED

As i said i just got restored status as a visitor which is valid until may 2010.
I have all my paperwork filled out for my PR and now just need to send it off.
I was told it can take 6-7 mths for them to even look at it.

My query is this....can i take a trip home to uk on this visitor visa?I haven't been home in 2 years and would love my family to meet my 8mth old son.Am i going to get trouble re entering canada?

HELP!!!

geo4 May 25th 2009 8:38 pm

Re: Hi i am about to apply for PR...am currently on reinstated visitor status.HELP NE

Are you going the Sponsorship route?

may_bettesworth May 25th 2009 8:46 pm

Re: Hi i am about to apply for PR...am currently on reinstated visitor status.HELP NE

Originally Posted by geo4 (Post 7603151)
Are you going the Sponsorship route?

Hi yes i am.my fiance is canadian and he is sponsering me as common law

christmasoompa May 25th 2009 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by may_bettesworth (Post 7603177)
Hi yes i am.my fiance is canadian and he is sponsering me as common law

Is your application inland or outland? In any event, I think you can leave Canada for a holiday - but hopefully an expert will be along shortly to confirm whether I'm right or wrong.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :)

geo4 May 25th 2009 8:52 pm

My PR was processed through London (whilst I was working in Canada)

It took six months from start to finish. Be sure to choose this route too as it is by far the quickest.

Good luck. :fingerscrossed:

may_bettesworth May 25th 2009 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 7603194)
Is your application inland or outland? In any event, I think you can leave Canada for a holiday - but hopefully an expert will be along shortly to confirm whether I'm right or wrong.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :)

inland i'm currently in calgary.have been for over 2 years.
it would be great to visit my family,i miss them alot.
thanks for replying...and for the welcome!!

may_bettesworth May 25th 2009 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by geo4 (Post 7603205)
My PR was processed through London (whilst I was working in Canada)

It took six months from start to finish. Be sure to choose this route too as it is by far the quickest.

Good luck. :fingerscrossed:

london uk???
how are you able to do that whilst in canada

christmasoompa May 25th 2009 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by may_bettesworth (Post 7603210)

That's a shame, would have been quicker for you to do it outland. Never mind!

:)

christmasoompa May 25th 2009 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by may_bettesworth (Post 7603213)
london uk???

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...sorship-Canada

Hope it helps. :)

geo4 May 25th 2009 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by may_bettesworth (Post 7603213)
london uk???

As you've been here for more than one year you have the right to get your PR processed by the Canadian Embassy of your native country.

Doing it this way is ALOT quicker than inland as it gets expedited somewhat.

christmasoompa May 25th 2009 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by geo4 (Post 7603236)
As you've been here for more than one year you have the right to get your PR processed by the Canadian Embassy of your native country.

Anybody can have it processed outland can't they? Don't think there is a minimum time you have to have been in Canada. :confused:

AlexInBC May 25th 2009 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by may_bettesworth (Post 7603210)

You can. I did it several times while waiting for my lengthy inland spousal application to be finalised - BUT you have no guaranteed right to re-entry, regardless of how long your current visitor's status is valid... Leaving Canada means that you're basically at the mercy of whatever immigration official you see when you pass through Calgary airport on your way back in.

Like I said, I did it - but your are definitely taking a (very small) risk...

geo4 May 25th 2009 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 7603247)
Anybody can have it processed outland can't they? Don't think there is a minimum time you have to have been in Canada. :confused:

I thought not.

:ohmy:

may_bettesworth May 25th 2009 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 7603217)
That's a shame, would have been quicker for you to do it outland. Never mind!

:)

ok so i just spoke to a lady at CIC and she said i can leave and come back but it is at the discretion of the immigration officer as to whether they let me back in.
How common is it to be refused entry?Am i taking an unnecessary risk in going home?

may_bettesworth May 25th 2009 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by AlexInBC (Post 7603279)
You can. I did it several times while waiting for my lengthy inland spousal application to be finalised - BUT you have no guaranteed right to re-entry, regardless of how long your current visitor's status is valid... Leaving Canada means that you're basically at the mercy of whatever immigration official you see when you pass through Calgary airport on your way back in.

Like I said, I did it - but your are definitely taking a (very small) risk...

ok in your opinion(as you did leave several times)what is the best thing to say when re entering?That you are applying for PR or visitng?