Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Help regarding Visa needed please. Youth Mobility?

Help regarding Visa needed please. Youth Mobility?

Old Jan 27th 2012, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

omega4040 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help regarding Visa needed please. Youth Mobility?

Hi,

I'm maybe getting a little ahead of myself, but I've been asked to research this so here goes.

Basically I haven't yet got a job offer. I have a job interview over the phone on Tuesday - I have been asked to look in to a Youth Mobility Visa, as I have been told this is probably the way the company would 'sponsor' me. To be honest I am getting a little confused over what I would need and how long it would last for.

Basically I am 29, I am going for a job in the Environmental sector - I am degree qualified to Masters level and have around 6 and a half years experience.

It seems the Youth Mobility Scheme (YMS) would only be valid until my 31st birthday. My question I guess is, is the YMS the best way to get a permit/visa? I am concerned that I would simply be 'booted' out of the country once the year is up. Is there a better way in? Does YMS pave the way for getting a different Visa in subsequent years, or even citizenship??

Would there be another route in as a professional person?

Many thanks in advance for any help!
Mark
Old Jan 27th 2012, 5:13 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help regarding Visa needed please. Youth Mobility?

Hi

Originally Posted by omega4040
Hi,

I'm maybe getting a little ahead of myself, but I've been asked to research this so here goes.

Basically I haven't yet got a job offer. I have a job interview over the phone on Tuesday - I have been asked to look in to a Youth Mobility Visa, as I have been told this is probably the way the company would 'sponsor' me. To be honest I am getting a little confused over what I would need and how long it would last for.

Basically I am 29, I am going for a job in the Environmental sector - I am degree qualified to Masters level and have around 6 and a half years experience.

It seems the Youth Mobility Scheme (YMS) would only be valid until my 31st birthday. My question I guess is, is the YMS the best way to get a permit/visa? I am concerned that I would simply be 'booted' out of the country once the year is up. Is there a better way in? Does YMS pave the way for getting a different Visa in subsequent years, or even citizenship??

Would there be another route in as a professional person?

Many thanks in advance for any help!
Mark
1. The IEC (Working Holiday Visa) is a 2 shot deal if you are a UK citizen under the age of 30. You can apply for 1 and you can apply for a second year, if you still meet the criteria.
2. It can't be extended.
3. The reason the employer wants you to go this route, is so that they don't have to get an approved Labour Market Opinion from HRSDC. They have to advertise the position for 2 weeks on the job bank, and demonstrate why no Canadians or PRs are available for the position. To get an approved LMO these days is about 12 weeks, plus advertising time, and interviewing candidates.
4. It makes it easier for the employer, but the employee at the end of the year, they can just wave goodbye.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. The IEC (Working Holiday Visa) is a 2 shot deal if you are a UK citizen under the age of 30. You can apply for 1 and you can apply for a second year, if you still meet the criteria.
2. It can't be extended.
3. The reason the employer wants you to go this route, is so that they don't have to get an approved Labour Market Opinion from HRSDC. They have to advertise the position for 2 weeks on the job bank, and demonstrate why no Canadians or PRs are available for the position. To get an approved LMO these days is about 12 weeks, plus advertising time, and interviewing candidates.
4. It makes it easier for the employer, but the employee at the end of the year, they can just wave goodbye.

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. I can understand why they want to take that route now.

I guess I could just apply early next year before my 31st birthday for the second year of the YMS/IEC (I assume these are the same thing). But hypothetically, time constraints aside, how easy once in Canada would it then be to gain authority to work for a further period of time, outside the IEC?

Thanks
Old Jan 28th 2012, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

Which province are you planing to go? This might make the big difference as to what are your chances of staying permanent ..as it seems that is what you are asking for? Check out the different Provincial Nominee Programs, some allow as soon as 6 month into the job to apply for Provincial Nomination, as long as you stay with the same employer. With nomination comes the right to apply for PR.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by manitobain
Which province are you planing to go? This might make the big difference as to what are your chances of staying permanent ..as it seems that is what you are asking for? Check out the different Provincial Nominee Programs, some allow as soon as 6 month into the job to apply for Provincial Nomination, as long as you stay with the same employer. With nomination comes the right to apply for PR.
It'll be Alberta, Edmonton to be specific. I will have a look it to the Provincial Nomination.

I may be being a little premature, I'm just trying to get a glimpse of how the future may pan out I guess!

Thanks for your reply.