Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

help please - immigration of elderlies

help please - immigration of elderlies

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 11:26 am
Just Joined

Scalley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default help please - immigration of elderlies

Hi all,

Apologies for asking again, but i really need help with this.

I’ve just got my PR through the common-law sponsorship route, so I’m happy.

However, when my canadian girlfriend and I move over to Canada in July, we will be leaving her 85yr old grandmother behind. And no we’re not a couple of meanies who like to be cruel to grannies. She’s always lived on her own and been self sufficient, but I’d like to find out about how we might get her into Canada quickly. Her closest family (daughter and grandchildren) live in Canada, and so she could be sponsored by the normal family class route. However, at 85years old, it’s not really practical to wait around for the 5yrs or so it would take to process the application. Are there any other ways we might go about this, perhaps on compassionate grounds that she wants to spend her remaining days with her family. Failing this, could we bring her in on a tourist/visitors visa and then ask to have it extended at a later date.

My girlfriends father would bear the brunt of the costs of all this, and will probably use a consultant if we think it's at all possible. I didn't use a consultant for my own case but i don't think this would be so straight-forward.

Any help would be appreciated.

If anyone wants to hear my experiences of common-law sponsorship I am more than happy to share.

Many thanks in advance

Matt
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:46 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help please - immigration of elderlies

Originally Posted by Scalley
Failing this, could we bring her in on a tourist/visitors visa and then ask to have it extended at a later date.

Matt
Yes I would say do just that.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

kki6 is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

Apologies for asking again, but i really need help with this.

I’ve just got my PR through the common-law sponsorship route, so I’m happy.

However, when my canadian girlfriend and I move over to Canada in July, we will be leaving her 85yr old grandmother behind. And no we’re not a couple of meanies who like to be cruel to grannies. She’s always lived on her own and been self sufficient, but I’d like to find out about how we might get her into Canada quickly. Her closest family (daughter and grandchildren) live in Canada, and so she could be sponsored by the normal family class route. However, at 85years old, it’s not really practical to wait around for the 5yrs or so it would take to process the application. Are there any other ways we might go about this, perhaps on compassionate grounds that she wants to spend her remaining days with her family. Failing this, could we bring her in on a tourist/visitors visa and then ask to have it extended at a later date.

My girlfriends father would bear the brunt of the costs of all this, and will probably use a consultant if we think it's at all possible. I didn't use a consultant for my own case but i don't think this would be so straight-forward.

Any help would be appreciated.

If anyone wants to hear my experiences of common-law sponsorship I am more than happy to share.

Many thanks in advance

Matt
I am not expert in this area but I think you guys will have to apply for her under family class probably with an accompanying letter stating your case and the need for an urgent consideration.

You could also arrange for her to go with you to Canada with a TRV but the CIC website is not clear on applications for other mombers of the family class from within Canada apart from Spouses etc and kids. Maybe this is an area the experts can help with.

Can you share you experience of your Common law application with us please? Where did you apply from? Timeline? etc

Goodluck with the arrangements for your girlfirend's Nan.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kki6
I am not expert in this area but I think you guys will have to apply for her under family class probably with an accompanying letter stating your case and the need for an urgent consideration.

You could also arrange for her to go with you to Canada with a TRV but the CIC website is not clear on applications for other mombers of the family class from within Canada apart from Spouses etc and kids. Maybe this is an area the experts can help with.

Can you share you experience of your Common law application with us please? Where did you apply from? Timeline? etc

Goodluck with the arrangements for your girlfirend's Nan.
Sounds like we have pretty similar applications.
My background & timeline:
I applied under the family class. My canadian girlfriend lives with me in the UK.
23rd August 2004: Applied to CIC mississauga
7th December 2004: CIC confirm sponsor eligibility
21st December 2004: CHC London AOR
23rd January 2005: passport request
10th February 2005: passport returned with visa

I did not use a consultant. If your case is straight forward, then why pay someone to fill in forms?
I paid fees up front and got the medical done before i applied. This probably sped things up a bit, but it means that i don't have long to land.

I only have until July to land, but we're going to go in May for a short stop to land, before returning to UK to sell house, quit jobs etc. Still not sure about what to take with me for landing procedures. What do you have to do about taking things with you. I've heard about forms b4 and b4a? Any ideas?

Cheers

Matt
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

kki6 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like we have pretty similar applications.
My background & timeline:
I applied under the family class. My canadian girlfriend lives with me in the UK.
23rd August 2004: Applied to CIC mississauga
7th December 2004: CIC confirm sponsor eligibility
21st December 2004: CHC London AOR
23rd January 2005: passport request
10th February 2005: passport returned with visa

I did not use a consultant. If your case is straight forward, then why pay someone to fill in forms?
I paid fees up front and got the medical done before i applied. This probably sped things up a bit, but it means that i don't have long to land.

I only have until July to land, but we're going to go in May for a short stop to land, before returning to UK to sell house, quit jobs etc. Still not sure about what to take with me for landing procedures. What do you have to do about taking things with you. I've heard about forms b4 and b4a? Any ideas?

Cheers

Matt
We definitely have very similar application timelines and as it turns out, similar landing and settling arrangements. I will be landing at the end of April/beginning of May and settling finally at the beginning of August.

For ease of reference, please find below the advice from Canada Border Service Agency:

Before coming to Canada

Before you arrive, you should prepare two copies of a list (preferably typewritten) of all the goods you intend to bring into Canada as settler's effects, showing the value, make, model, and serial number (when applicable). Divide the list into two sections: the goods you are bringing with you, and the goods to follow.

You have to present this list to the customs officer on your arrival in Canada, even if you are not bringing in any goods at that time.

Since jewelry is difficult to describe accurately, it is best to use the wording from your insurance policy or jeweler's appraisal and to include photographs. You should describe each item of jewelry on the list of goods you submit. This information makes it easier to identify your jewelry at customs when you first enter Canada, and later on if you take it with you on a trip abroad.

At the border, the customs officer will prepare Form B4, Personal Effects Accounting Document, on your behalf, based on the list of goods you provided. The officer will assign your B4 form a file number and give you a receipt. You will need to present your receipt to claim duty- and tax-free entry of your "goods to follow" when they arrive later.

You can make the process easier by completing a B4 form in advance and presenting it to the officer when you arrive. You can order this form from the CBSA Distribution Centre listed at the end of this pamphlet.

I trust you find this helpful.

Do check up the website for further information www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca

Let me know if you r require any further information.

Best Regards
Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kki6
We definitely have very similar application timelines and as it turns out, similar landing and settling arrangements. I will be landing at the end of April/beginning of May and settling finally at the beginning of August.

For ease of reference, please find below the advice from Canada Border Service Agency:

Before coming to Canada

Before you arrive, you should prepare two copies of a list (preferably typewritten) of all the goods you intend to bring into Canada as settler's effects, showing the value, make, model, and serial number (when applicable). Divide the list into two sections: the goods you are bringing with you, and the goods to follow.

You have to present this list to the customs officer on your arrival in Canada, even if you are not bringing in any goods at that time.

Since jewelry is difficult to describe accurately, it is best to use the wording from your insurance policy or jeweler's appraisal and to include photographs. You should describe each item of jewelry on the list of goods you submit. This information makes it easier to identify your jewelry at customs when you first enter Canada, and later on if you take it with you on a trip abroad.

At the border, the customs officer will prepare Form B4, Personal Effects Accounting Document, on your behalf, based on the list of goods you provided. The officer will assign your B4 form a file number and give you a receipt. You will need to present your receipt to claim duty- and tax-free entry of your "goods to follow" when they arrive later.

You can make the process easier by completing a B4 form in advance and presenting it to the officer when you arrive. You can order this form from the CBSA Distribution Centre listed at the end of this pamphlet.

I trust you find this helpful.

Do check up the website for further information www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca

Let me know if you r require any further information.

Best Regards
Nice One,

Cheers Mate. Very useful.
Good luck out there. Let me know if you need any advice on anything to do with Calgary.

Matt