Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Help on Paramedic....which province??

Help on Paramedic....which province??

Old Sep 8th 2013, 5:55 am
Just Joined

skymaia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help on Paramedic....which province??

Hi seriously considering coming to Canada to train to become a paramedic with the hope at the end to getting to stay and work for my citizenship. Im stuck on what province will have the better opportunities for full time work. Its either British Columbia, Alberta or Ottawa. BC is only 1 year study where as the others are two years for becoming a Primary Care Paramedic. Why is this such a huge difference. People say in BC you'll only get part time work. is this true? I will be spending my life savings so this is a HUGE decision to make. I've thought about the whole doing two years uni course in the U.K. but I don't want this opportunity to move to Canada to pass me by. Im a 38 year old female already.

Any tips and advise would be really appreciated.

Sky
Old Sep 8th 2013, 7:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help on Paramedic....which province??

This article from 2009, pretty much sums it up, not much has changed from what I have seen and been told.

http://thetyee.ca/News/2009/06/05/BeAParamedic/

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 8th 2013 at 7:41 am.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 11:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
This article from 2009, pretty much sums it up, not much has changed from what I have seen and been told.

http://thetyee.ca/News/2009/06/05/BeAParamedic/
Thank you for that. Jsmth. Emmmm doesn't sound to promising hey. I hope that is just BC and maybe Alberta province would be different. Or Ontario.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 5:00 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skymaia
Hi seriously considering coming to Canada to train to become a paramedic with the hope at the end to getting to stay and work for my citizenship. Im stuck on what province will have the better opportunities for full time work. Its either British Columbia, Alberta or Ottawa. BC is only 1 year study where as the others are two years for becoming a Primary Care Paramedic. Why is this such a huge difference. People say in BC you'll only get part time work. is this true? I will be spending my life savings so this is a HUGE decision to make. I've thought about the whole doing two years uni course in the U.K. but I don't want this opportunity to move to Canada to pass me by. Im a 38 year old female already.

Any tips and advise would be really appreciated.

Sky
Training is one thing, but unless you have legal residency you cannot work in Canada.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Aviator
Training is one thing, but unless you have legal residency you cannot work in Canada.
I know it's a risk but I was going out on a wim. Train in Canada and then apply for residency or get sponsorship "hopefully". I know its a risk but I thought if I had a Canadian qualification rather than an U.K. paramedic qualification, that this would work in my favour. I'm really stuck as to which is the best route.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 6:35 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I know it's a risk but I was going out on a wim. Train in Canada and then apply for residency or get sponsorship "hopefully". I know its a risk but I thought if I had a Canadian qualification rather than an U.K. paramedic qualification, that this would work in my favour. I'm really stuck as to which is the best route.
If you are going to spend every penny you have, I would not risk this on a wim. What would you do if it did not work? I would look at another way to try and get into Canada on existing experience and qualifications.

You would not get sponsorship as an inexperienced paramedic either with Canadian or UK qualifications.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

If you are going to spend every penny you have, I would not risk this on a wim. What would you do if it did not work? I would look at another way to try and get into Canada on existing experience and qualifications.

You would not get sponsorship as an inexperienced paramedic either with Canadian or UK qualifications.
Trouble is i don't really have university level qualifications. I work as Nurse Auxilliary (Nurse Assistant) and Phlebotomist (taking blood) for the NHS at the moment. I don't think these are high enough skills to get into Canada. Maybe I should try. They can only say no. Thank you though for your answers Aviator anyway. You might have saved me a fortune.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 4:07 pm

Trouble is i don't really have university level qualifications. I work as Nurse Auxilliary (Nurse Assistant) and Phlebotomist (taking blood) for the NHS at the moment. I don't think these are high enough skills to get into Canada. Maybe I should try. They can only say no. Thank you though for your answers Aviator anyway. You might have saved me a fortune.
It is not impossible, have a plan and do lots of research and networking.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

It is not impossible, have a plan and do lots of research and networking.
After reading your last thread. I was straight on the case with immigration. I have a lot of work experience in health care industry and transferable skills, so its worth a shot. And thanks again