Help with forms please

Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

Tarik is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Help with forms please

Hello,
I am putting together my PR application and some of the forms are confusing. I would appreciate your help.

IMM0008 PR Application:
Questions 9: I was in a common-law relationship with Canadian for 5 years until fall 2007, than we just broke up. What is my status now? Single? Legally Separated? I am not sure.
Question 10: So I answer Yes, give details of the partner? Why is it even important?

IMM5406E Additional Family info:
Section A: Spouse of Common-Law, I say N/A. However in Note 1 it says sign here if you "do not have a spouse or a common-law partner, ex-spouse, or former common-law partner." Well, am I being an idiot? How can I sign there if I do have a former CL partner.

Also, do I need to include some sort of an affidavit indicating that I am currently not in Common-law relationship?

Schedule 1:
Question 9: "had any serious disease or physical or mental disorder?"
I have had TB treatment in Canada, successfully completed it, had been discharged and cleared. So, is that a YES here? Should I ask my case Manager to write me some sort of a letter? My DMP already has all the records and films, I suspect Ottawa will request those later on in the process.

TRANSLATED DOCUMENTS:
Can I translate my Birth Certificate and Police Clearance myself? I am fluent in both English and the source languages. I can attach affidavits and certify them with the notary. Would that be Okay?

Thanks, your feedback will be much appreciated.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Tarik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help with forms please

Are you guys for real? 42 hits and no one has anything to say???
Old Jul 9th 2008, 3:41 pm
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tarik
Hello,
I am putting together my PR application and some of the forms are confusing. I would appreciate your help.

IMM0008 PR Application:
Questions 9: I was in a common-law relationship with Canadian for 5 years until fall 2007, than we just broke up. What is my status now? Single? Legally Separated? I am not sure.
Question 10: So I answer Yes, give details of the partner? Why is it even important?

Yes to what?? you being single or legally separated???

Section A: Spouse of Common-Law, I say N/A. However in Note 1 it says sign here if you "do not have a spouse or a common-law partner, ex-spouse, or former common-law partner." Well, am I being an idiot? How can I sign there if I do have a former CL partner.
can't really understand whats going on here without seeing the forms as it doesnt make much sense

Also, do I need to include some sort of an affidavit indicating that I am currently not in Common-law relationship?
i wouldnt think so

Schedule 1:
I have had TB treatment in Canada, successfully completed it, had been discharged and cleared. So, is that a YES here? well TB is classed as this so YES would be the right answer Should I ask my case Manager to write me some sort of a letter? My DMP already has all the records and films, I suspect Ottawa will request those later on in the process. No need to write letter i wouldnt think seeing as the DMP will provide all the details

TRANSLATED DOCUMENTS:
Can I translate my Birth Certificate and Police Clearance myself? I am fluent in both English and the source languages. I can attach affidavits and certify them with the notary. Would that be Okay?
I have no idea but I wouldnt think so
Thanks, your feedback will be much appreciated.

Your post is rather scetchy and hard to understand without seeing the forms themselves. As I dont just happen to have a copy to hand that i can whip out to refer to its been quite difficult to answer your post correctly.

If no-one has replied it's likely ( like myself) they dont feel able to answer it suffieciently and dont want to give wrong info - you coul always try asking ina different way or adding more info rather than getting stroppy!!!!!!!
Old Jul 9th 2008, 3:54 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

IMM0008 PR Application:
Sorry, I don't know what your status is.
I suppose this gives them information they can use during the background check process. For example, this may sound ridiculous, but they want to know if a parent, sibling, former spouse, etc., is a criminal.

Sorry, I don't know.

Sorry, I don't know.

Schedule 1:
I have had TB treatment in Canada, successfully completed it, had been discharged and cleared. So, is that a YES here? Should I ask my case Manager to write me some sort of a letter? My DMP already has all the records and films, I suspect Ottawa will request those later on in the process.
It would be good to get a letter from your doctor when the time comes for you to have an immigration medical exam. There are dozens of posts on the forum that state that, if you have a medical condition or have had one in the past, it's prudent to take documentation from your own doctor when you go for an immigration medical exam. Whether or not you need a letter now, I don't know.

TRANSLATED DOCUMENTS:
I don't know if CIC would accept self-translated documents.

Sorry, I have been unable to help you, a conclusion to which I came when I glanced through your post the first time and showed up as one of the 42 people who seemingly had ignored you. I have even done a couple of searches to get answers. For example, I found a Checklist on which I looked up the criteria for translated documents. They say that the translator must provide a declaration in which he/she provides his/her name, the language in which the original document was written and an undertaking that the translation is accurate. They do not specifically state that the PR applicant may not be the translator.

But it seems intuitively obvious to me that the PR applicant cannot be the translator. For example, I know siSwati. I could provide a document that really says three blind mice ran after the farmer's wife who cut off their tails with a carving knife, I could translate the document, and I could claim that it provides details of my birth, marriage, education or whatever.

Just put yourself in the other person's position, in this case the CIC employee who looks at your file. If another person presented you with documents that he/she had translated him/herself, woud you have any confidence in the translation? If I was in the place of the CIC employee, I would have no confidence in such a translation.
x
Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

This is the only bit I can answer. In addition to the criminal/background reasons Judy gave you, I think CIC want to know your former connections so that you can't use a separation/divorce as a bypass to the medical requirement. Take this scenario: your partner would not be medically admissible, you split up/divorce and you go ahead and get PR as a single person. You then get back with your partner and you sponsor them, and now they are excessive demand exempt (as the spouse of a citizen/PR). I expect CIC would have something to say about that, and that's another reason why they need to know your former relationships.