Help with a few questions please

Old Jul 11th 2009, 5:24 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold
Default Help with a few questions please

Hi all....we just returned from Calgary having spent 2 weeks with friends, and the intention to see the city first hand . Whilst there, we did the rounds with resume's etc. My other half is a salon manager/owner with some 15 years experience and as many City & Guilds and awards / certificates you could shake a stick at. I am the owner of a retail music shop and have a HNC (Level 5) in Musical Instrument Technology (basically it's Luthiery, which is the manufacture and repair of guitars). Anyway, I managed to score a series of job interviews which culminated in one chain of music stores stating that they would do everything and anything they could to get me over to work for them.....great news.....however, I have a few questions which I could do with some help on, if possible:

1. Which consultant is recommended...I'd rather get it right first time than save money.

2. Do my OH and I need to be married (have been common law for 5 years with joint account etc...we just never worried about marrying as we both have a failed on behind us (no kids in either case).

3. I understand that an LMO and job offer is very helpful, both of which they are prepared to go with (I hope this momentum is maintained on their part..!).

4. I believe PR and the aplication for a Work Permit (by utilising the job offer and the LMO) have to be applied for as separate things.

5. Is it worth attending an expo in case the LMO/Job Offer fizzles out due to our not being in Calgary....? When is the next one...we're based in the Midlands.

cheers, Rich
Old Jul 11th 2009, 8:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with a few questions please

Originally Posted by theguitardoctor
Hi all....we just returned from Calgary having spent 2 weeks with friends, and the intention to see the city first hand . Whilst there, we did the rounds with resume's etc. My other half is a salon manager/owner with some 15 years experience and as many City & Guilds and awards / certificates you could shake a stick at. I am the owner of a retail music shop and have a HNC (Level 5) in Musical Instrument Technology (basically it's Luthiery, which is the manufacture and repair of guitars). Anyway, I managed to score a series of job interviews which culminated in one chain of music stores stating that they would do everything and anything they could to get me over to work for them.....great news.....however, I have a few questions which I could do with some help on, if possible:

1. Which consultant is recommended...I'd rather get it right first time than save money.

2. Do my OH and I need to be married (have been common law for 5 years with joint account etc...we just never worried about marrying as we both have a failed on behind us (no kids in either case).

3. I understand that an LMO and job offer is very helpful, both of which they are prepared to go with (I hope this momentum is maintained on their part..!).

4. I believe PR and the aplication for a Work Permit (by utilising the job offer and the LMO) have to be applied for as separate things.

5. Is it worth attending an expo in case the LMO/Job Offer fizzles out due to our not being in Calgary....? When is the next one...we're based in the Midlands.

cheers, Rich

Hi. I will do my best to answer your questions..........................

1. Why do you feel you need to use a consultant? If you've got a job offer then all you have to do is fill in a 2 page form, so not point paying somebody else to do that! The rest of the paperwork has to be done and submitted by your potential employer anyway - so let them hire someone if really necessary.

2. No, if she's your common-law partner then she can accompany you on your visa - you will just need to do a Statutory Declaration of Common-Law and possibly provide proof as well (i.e. the joint bank account, bills in both names, wills naming each other as beneficiaries, etc).

3. It's more than 'very helpful' - it's essential! To get a TWP, you need both a written job offer and the LMO. I'm assuming that it's a TWP that you are planning on going over on?

4. Yes. You can apply for PR either as a Skilled Worker (if you qualify), or via PNP.

5. Not a clue! Unless you're in specific occupations though (i.e. nursing) then you're unlikely to get a job offer at an Expo.

Hope that helps.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 10:28 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the help....one last question is that my occupation is a bit multi skilled, which means that, although the company that I have the potential job offer from is a sound one, it is open ended as they are not sure whether to utilise my guitar repair skills or my management skills...it all depends on their future plans with their new store.

Is there a minimum salary that the Canadian Govt expect a potential job offer to accompany?

As for the PR....and if the job offer fizzles due to the amount of paperwork at the employer side of things....I can go in as an (0621..owner, retail store) classification among other things, as can my OH (0651..hair salon manager/owner) if we followed her skill route. Are these classed differently to the non 0 groups, i.e is this group more desirable than non 0 pre-fixed skill classes?

thanks again, Rich
Old Jul 12th 2009, 5:07 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks for the help....one last question is that my occupation is a bit multi skilled, which means that, although the company that I have the potential job offer from is a sound one, it is open ended as they are not sure whether to utilise my guitar repair skills or my management skills...it all depends on their future plans with their new store.

Is there a minimum salary that the Canadian Govt expect a potential job offer to accompany?

As for the PR....and if the job offer fizzles due to the amount of paperwork at the employer side of things....I can go in as an (0621..owner, retail store) classification among other things, as can my OH (0651..hair salon manager/owner) if we followed her skill route. Are these classed differently to the non 0 groups, i.e is this group more desirable than non 0 pre-fixed skill classes?

thanks again, Rich
1. Yes the salary has to be competitive for the market to attract CCs/PRs.
2. You realize that NOC 0621 is not on the list of 38? If it is not on the list you will not qualify unless you have worked/studied in Canada or have an approved AEO.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 6:04 pm
Life's next chapter is?

Ok I'm a bit confused now....

So we can receive a job offer with a competitive salary, that can't be filled by a Canadian, but we won't get a Temp Work Permit because the job title is not on the list...??

Also, I'm not sure what AEO stands for...

regards, Rich
Old Jul 12th 2009, 6:20 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

HI

Ok I'm a bit confused now....

So we can receive a job offer with a competitive salary, that can't be filled by a Canadian, but we won't get a Temp Work Permit because the job title is not on the list...??

Also, I'm not sure what AEO stands for...

regards, Rich

You have been talking apples and oranges. For a work permit, you would require a Labour Market Opinion (the employer obtains it from HRSDC) The employer has to advertise the position on the Canadian Job Bank for 2 weeks in the past 3 months. Then has to demonstrate to HRSDC why no CC/PRs applying qualified for the position and that the salary is sufficient for local conditions. With an approved LMO you then could apply for a work permit.

You also talked about immigration, without an AEO (Approved Employment Offer from HRSDC) from an a Canadian employer, where they will employ you once you are a PR, you have to have 1 years experience in an occupation on the "list of 38". Neither of the NOCs you listed are on that list.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 6:44 pm
Life's next chapter is?

OK I think I get the process a little more now...but it still seems that you are saying that anyone in Canada on a Work Permit in a job/career that is not on the list of 38 that you speak of (is that not the Provincial Nominee Programme?) can then not gain Permanent Residence...?

I was under the impression that anyone on a Temp Work Permit that had 12 months work history in Canada (or less in some cases) can then apply for residence, and if the job offer was accompanied by an LMO in order to gain the TWP in the first place, then PR is possible.....??

maybe I'm all confused about this....

Rich
Old Jul 12th 2009, 7:53 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi

OK I think I get the process a little more now...but it still seems that you are saying that anyone in Canada on a Work Permit in a job/career that is not on the list of 38 that you speak of (is that not the Provincial Nominee Programme?) can then not gain Permanent Residence...?

I was under the impression that anyone on a Temp Work Permit that had 12 months work history in Canada (or less in some cases) can then apply for residence, and if the job offer was accompanied by an LMO in order to gain the TWP in the first place, then PR is possible.....??

maybe I'm all confused about this....

Rich
1. A person in Canada on a work permit can apply for FSW after 1 year of authorized work in Canada (ignoring PNP) and it must be in NOC level A,B or O.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 9:46 pm
Life's next chapter is?

So I'm deducing as we're both "0" prefixed career categories that we can then attain PR after working for 1 year....or am I incorrect?

Cheers, Rich