Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Help with being self-employed while immigrating to Canada?

Help with being self-employed while immigrating to Canada?

Old Aug 28th 2010, 10:20 am
Just Joined

Rockhound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with being self-employed while immigrating to Canada?

Hope someone can help me out here - I'm planning on immigrating from Ireland to Canada, and because I have to go through the London embassy, I'm sure the procedure is more or less the same. I'm hoping to go on the Working Holiday for one year, and apply for permanent residency while I'm there.

This is what the Irish USIT office who operate the Working Holiday program tell me people usually do. Whether this is true or not, I don't really know.

Anyway. The problem is I have an offer to become full time self-employed. I'm working two jobs right now, and one of them is part time for a US company - the work is online only. They're been impressed enough that they want me to quit my other job and go full time with them, which would make me a full time self-employed contractor.

I love the work, and it means I don't need to job hunt when I arrive - I can do it anywhere I have an internet connection. I'm really tempted to take them up on this, even if it means a paycut. I really hate my other job.

So - what I need to know is whether I can actually do this. Can I go to Canada on a Working Holiday as a self-employed contractor, then apply to stay? Would I be allowed to as long as I pay taxes?

My husband is coming as well on the same program, and he's planning on getting a regular job. I'm not sure how that will impact us. I have the skills to apply under the FSW scheme, but I've heard that that takes years to process, and we don't have the minimum funds.

Any advice you could give me would be really appreciated. We don't want to stay in Ireland for a day longer than necessary - don't know if you've noticed, but the country's going headfirst into a depression.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 3:10 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with being self-employed while immigrating to Canada?

Should not be a problem from this end if you are working for a US company and have a residency permit. It won't help you directly for immigration if you only have one client. Additionally Canada Revenue Agency will be unlikely to see you as self employed with one client. You may want to look through this http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/rc4110/rc4110-08e.pdf
Old Aug 28th 2010, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

Ok, according to that I'd be an employee, I think. I would file taxes as an independent contractor though.

Would that pose a greater barrier to getting permanent residency?
Old Aug 28th 2010, 7:51 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rockhound
Ok, according to that I'd be an employee, I think. I would file taxes as an independent contractor though.

Would that pose a greater barrier to getting permanent residency?
You don't have a choice how you file taxes, you have to follow the CRA rules. If you use a tax preparer they should be able to advise you. If you get a black mark with CRA I would imagine it could be detrimental to PR. Unless CRA audit you you may get away with it, however there is no way to know if or when they would audit you.

Also depending on what route you go for PR, you would have to divulge some financial information.

Working for a US company won't help for PR at all. If you had a business plan, you may be able to get a TWP as self employed, however again I doubt working for a US company would help that at all. What route had you considered following for PR? You would have to show proof of available funds at time of application. I doubt what you are proposing would help get you residency in Canada and may possibly hinder it. Paying taxes is not enough.

Personally, if applying for PR, I'd do everything by the book.

Last edited by Aviator; Aug 28th 2010 at 7:56 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for this advice, I really appreciate it. I was hoping to get residency as a skilled worker before this came up, but this seemed like a better option because it's a job I can do anywhere.
'll file taxes however they say I should. Will they deny me PR because I work for a US company though? The other option is to have my husband get residency, and me get a permit as his spouse.

I'm trying to work out the best options for us. Any info is good.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Rockhound
Will they deny me PR because I work for a US company though? The other option is to have my husband get residency, and me get a permit as his spouse.
You won't get PR (or at least extremely unlikely to) based on working for a US company. If you set up a business as a contractor with clients in the US and Canada i.e. more than one client and you meet the CRA definition of self employed that might help, but again doubtful other than for CEC.

If your husband meets the criteria it may be worth considering him applying as the principle applicant. Jobs have to be on the list of 29 or have an approved job offer.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 11:57 am
Just Joined

Right then. Thanks very much - hopefully I'll be able to sort something out.