Hello - where to start?

Old Jul 1st 2020, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

Canadaberyl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello - where to start?

Hello all

after much discussion me and my husband have decided we would like to immigrate to Canada - BC.

we are both in our early 30’s, we have a 1 year old baby. We are both British citizens

I work IT as a team manager and my husband is in construction. I have a degree (in a totally different field) but I’ve never used it.

he has over 10 years construction experience.

I understand we will need to do Ielets, these are valid for two years.

we have savings and will continue to save as much as we can.

ive been on the website but when I try to find the job classification the website directs me to beginning again!

one of us has an immediate family member (sister) in Canada and the other has extended family.

so where do I start? What’s my first step? I’ll have a read of the wiki but just wanted to know if we had a chance.

Last edited by Canadaberyl; Jul 1st 2020 at 8:24 pm. Reason: ......
Old Jul 1st 2020, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello - where to start?

Everybody has a chance but a lot more details are required. OK we have established BC. Look at Express Entry categories in this link then start looking at the BC PNP website for routes.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ess-entry.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-nominees.html

https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...ominee-Program
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much. I didn’t realise there was a tech pilot.

I’ll have a further look into this. The Wiki is very informative too
Old Aug 5th 2020, 8:45 am
Just Joined

freyasmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya

We are a small family too with a similar background to you guys. How have you got on with the process so far? Jenna
Old Aug 5th 2020, 8:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by freyasmum
Hiya

We are a small family too with a similar background to you guys. How have you got on with the process so far? Jenna
we’ve had to put a pin in it for now. Our scores aren’t high enough for express entry, we only got 394.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 9:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canadaberyl
we’ve had to put a pin in it for now. Our scores aren’t high enough for express entry, we only got 394.
That's only one way in though, there are over 50 routes to PR. So don't give up, if you can give lots more info (including a score breakdown of your CRS and which province you wish to move to), then we can try and help and see if there is another route you can take.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That's only one way in though, there are over 50 routes to PR. So don't give up, if you can give lots more info (including a score breakdown of your CRS and which province you wish to move to), then we can try and help and see if there is another route you can take.
interesting as my sister in law who lives in Canada consulted a solicitor there (without asking us) and the solicitor said no real options for us other than an LMO.

we could look at a PNP but I’m not sure how successful that could be? We were looking at BC - Vancouver side but I imagine the demand is very high and competitive.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 12:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

interesting as my sister in law who lives in Canada consulted a solicitor there (without asking us) and the solicitor said no real options for us other than an LMO.

we could look at a PNP but I’m not sure how successful that could be? We were looking at BC - Vancouver side but I imagine the demand is very high and competitive.
I hope the solicitor didn't say LMO, no such thing anymore.

PNP's are a good option, some don't require a job offer or similar. There are tons of options, just explore them all and see what may work. does your sister-in-law have any contacts in your industries that may help with securing a job offer by any chance?
Old Aug 5th 2020, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I hope the solicitor didn't say LMO, no such thing anymore.

PNP's are a good option, some don't require a job offer or similar. There are tons of options, just explore them all and see what may work. does your sister-in-law have any contacts in your industries that may help with securing a job offer by any chance?
i thought she said LMO but maybe I was wrong - a foreign worker visa?

nope she doesn’t. I guess the issue that we currently work in industry’s that are quite common and very competitive.

I’ll have a look into the PNP
Old Aug 5th 2020, 4:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

i thought she said LMO but maybe I was wrong - a foreign worker visa?

nope she doesn’t. I guess the issue that we currently work in industry’s that are quite common and very competitive.

I’ll have a look into the PNP
LMO's were replaced with LMIA's quite a few years ago now - hence why I said I hoped the immi consultant didn't say LMO, as that would indicate her immigration knowledge isn't exactly up to date!

Both of your occupations would be reasonably in demand I'd have thought? What are your NOC codes?
Old Aug 5th 2020, 5:49 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

If your husband is in construction - does he have a trade i.e. carpenter / electrician / plumber / gas fitter / scaffolder / brickie / concrete finisher / foreman of a trade or anything similar? The points requirement for Express Entry FSW - Trades - is much lower.. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ed-trades.html
He would need to get a job offer OR his Provincial Certificate of Qualification - which with 10 years experience he may be able to challege to get it, as an experienced worker, instead of having to take an apprenticeship

#128 – October 16, 2019

Federal skilled trades

Date and time of round: October 16, 2019 at 12:56:58 UTC

CRS score of lowest-ranked candidate invited: 357

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 5th 2020 at 5:56 pm.