Having a Baby in Canada

Old Mar 16th 2009, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

shieler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Having a Baby in Canada

Hi

We are in the process of moving to Canada, my fiance is starting a job there. We are not married yet and I am pregnant.

What is the process for visas etc if I give birth in Canada? I am not usre yet whether I should stay in Scotland and move across after the birth or have the baby in Vancouver (we will be in BC). Does anyone know my options for healthcare, visas etc?

Thank you
Old Mar 16th 2009, 4:01 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having a Baby in Canada

The paperwork is a lot simpler and faster if the kid is born in canada (as the kid is canadian and covered from birth), but of course in most provinces you need to be resident three months before provincial health coverage kicks in, and pregnancy is clearly a preexisting condition as far as private coverage is concerned. So without coverage you could be looking at thousands in costs, and ten times that if an emergency C section is required for example.

Also air travel at some point in the third trimester is likely to be a problem, most airlines have a cut of date for pregnant women to travel with them.

What exactly is your status, and if not a PR is that likely to happen soon?

Otherwise you might have no choice but to have the child outside canada and then have to apply to sponsor them and bring them to canada after the fact. You wouldnt be the first. Lots of old threads on that if you search for them.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 16th 2009 at 4:03 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 4:06 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shieler
Hi

We are in the process of moving to Canada, my fiance is starting a job there. We are not married yet and I am pregnant.

What is the process for visas etc if I give birth in Canada? I am not usre yet whether I should stay in Scotland and move across after the birth or have the baby in Vancouver (we will be in BC). Does anyone know my options for healthcare, visas etc?

Thank you
we moved to Ontario in 2006 on a TWP when my OH was pregnant. We're married, but I don't imagine the legal status of your relationship makes a difference if you can demonstrate a common law relationship.

A couple of things to note:
  • the baby will, in most circumstances, be eligible for provincial healthcare from birth. He or she will also, in most circumstances, be a Canadian citizen (there are exceptions to this, but I don't know enough about it to say what they are). You won't need a visa for the baby within Canada. Our daughter is the only one of the family whose eligibility to remain here was not dependent on my ability to hold down a job!
  • Depending on how far along you are when you arrive, you may not be covered by provincial health insurance for the birth. If BC has the same three-month wait as Ontario does, you should be prepared to cover the cost of ante-natal care for three months after arrival. Insurance companies like Blue Cross will provide cover, but may consider pregnancy an "existing condition" so check the policy documents carefully! If your OH's work provides additional health coverage, this may be a more cost-effective option.
  • If you're not covered by insurance, prepare for a significant hit on your credit card. A straightforward labour and delivery, with a one-night hospital stay, will likely set you back $2500 or so, with consultant ob/gyn and anaesthesiologist billing separately from the hospital. More complex procedures (eg Caesarian) will rack up the costs.
For what it's worth, and from the perspective of a mere man so not that personal an experience, I'd have thought the potential downsides of being in Canada would be easily outweighed by the benefits of being together with your OH in the run-up and immediately afterwards.
hope that helps, and good luck!
Old Mar 16th 2009, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

shieler is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Iain

I am currently 4 months pregnant and want to be where I will be living in the next 2 months as after that I cannot fly. It may take longer than this to get our visas organised. We have applied for our work visas but it can take a couple of months to get everything organised.

1- Is it possible to come to Canada without my work or permanent visa and receive my permanent visa while I am there or do I have to be outside of the country.

2- Can I have my baby in Canada without a permanent visa? I am not overly concerned by the cost.

Just trying to collate as much information as possible before making any decisions.

Thank you
Old Mar 16th 2009, 4:12 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shieler
Thanks Iain

I am currently 4 months pregnant and want to be where I will be living in the next 2 months as after that I cannot fly. It may take longer than this to get our visas organised. We have applied for our work visas but it can take a couple of months to get everything organised.

1- Is it possible to come to Canada without my work or permanent visa and receive my permanent visa while I am there or do I have to be outside of the country.

2- Can I have my baby in Canada without a permanent visa? I am not overly concerned by the cost.

Just trying to collate as much information as possible before making any decisions.

Thank you
1: Its possible, but it dodgy, its at the discression of the officer at the point of entry..pregnant woman with application in the works is likely to be seen as a risk of overstaying / being here just to get Canadian citizenship for the unborn child, and might very well be refused entry or approved for very short stay, especially given the airline restrictions on flying in the third trimester....

2. Yes, its just money...and the hassle of organising things outside the provincial coverage

Do you have positive LMOs for the jobs you have applied for "work visas"? One alternative if the paperwork is taking too long to process could be to come before the TWP is issued and apply for it at the point of entry if you have the necessary documentation to support it...its risky, but less risky than arriving as a visitor I would think?

Last edited by iaink; Mar 16th 2009 at 4:16 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 12:02 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
A couple of things to note:[LIST][*]the baby will, in most circumstances, be eligible for provincial healthcare from birth. He or she will also, in most circumstances, be a Canadian citizen (there are exceptions to this, but I don't know enough about it to say what they are).
Exceptions only concern diplomats and official guests.