Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Have you previously been married or in a common-law relationship?

Have you previously been married or in a common-law relationship?

Old May 8th 2009, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of
Default Have you previously been married or in a common-law relationship?

Another question about filling out my wife’s PR application. My wife and her daughter are applying and we all live in the UK.

Q10 of IMM0008 is “Have you previously been married or in a common-law relationship?”

She was living with a man in the UK for 12 years, and they had a daughter together (who is also on the PR application). There are not really “common law” relationships under UK law.

Should we answer “no” since the relationship was not a “common law” one under UK law where they lived? Or should we answer “yes”, as it would have been under Canadian law if they had been living in Canada?

What have other people done?
Old May 8th 2009, 1:45 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have you previously been married or in a common-law relationship?

The honest answer is yes.
Old May 8th 2009, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Thanks for the quick answer, though it makes me wonder. The answer is definitely yes if the question is asking about common-man understanding. And clearly no in a UK legal sense.

Any idea what the intent of the question is? In what form is a previous common-law or married relationship relevant to a PR decision?

Last edited by bewillow; May 8th 2009 at 1:59 pm.
Old May 8th 2009, 3:23 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I guess the UK version would be similar to -> Cohabitation in a conjugal relationship. Something daft like that.

I'd definitely put a big fat YES in the box