Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Has anyone managed to pay for EE with debit card?

Has anyone managed to pay for EE with debit card?

Old Apr 5th 2015, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Jones89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has anyone managed to pay for EE with debit card?

I need to pay 1040$, my credit card has only 1k limit. Can I use TD debit card? If not what do I do?
Old Apr 5th 2015, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

DYOUNG77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has anyone managed to pay for EE with debit card?

Someone else will probably have the right answer in regards to the debit card question but have you tried calling your credit card provider to ask them to temporarily extend your limit.
Old Apr 5th 2015, 7:15 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Jones89
I need to pay 1040$, my credit card has only 1k limit. Can I use TD debit card? If not what do I do?
1. From CIC Note:

Online payment tools do not currently accept credit cards that are also used as debit cards (e.g. Visa Debit).

2. Pay the Application fee first, then pay the RPRF at a later time.
Old Apr 5th 2015, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Jones89 is an unknown quantity at this point

"2. Pay the Application fee first, then pay the RPRF at a later time."

That's what I wanted to do but I have originally selected that I'd pay for both and now thats my application is already completed there is no way to undo it.

This is extremely frustrating and really stupid.
Old Apr 5th 2015, 8:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Put the money on the credit card so you have sufficient funds on the card?

Capital One lets me do that, my limit is small, so if I need to pay say a 500 payment, I put on a 200 payment which puts on a 200 credit in my favor and they will then let me charge 500. 300 credit limit + 200 payment I made = 500.

Of course only works if you have a 0 balance to the bank and 100% of your credit is available.

I have no clue if all banks let you do this though.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 1:50 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Call your credit card company and say you are trying to make a transaction for more than your limit. They'll either just raise your limit (likely if you've had the card awhile), or they can clear that transaction as a one-off. Get on the phone to them, though, there are ways around this sort of thing!

The method jsmth posted as well may also work.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Put the money on the credit card so you have sufficient funds on the card?

Capital One lets me do that, my limit is small, so if I need to pay say a 500 payment, I put on a 200 payment which puts on a 200 credit in my favor and they will then let me charge 500. 300 credit limit + 200 payment I made = 500.

Of course only works if you have a 0 balance to the bank and 100% of your credit is available.

I have no clue if all banks let you do this though.
Yeah TD let me do this, would accidentally pay off more than what was outstanding on CC so allowed me to spend more than my $1000 limit as was in credit.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

This what we do to book most of our holidays. We bank with RBC who have no problem with is being in credit for several thousand dollars for a little while.