Health insurance for new IEC

Old Apr 6th 2015, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

pilky01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health insurance for new IEC

Hi learned people,

I've been in Canada almost a year, and Im waiting for my LOI that allows me to extend my stay. A question about insurance: ive been working in Toronto full time for around 3 months, and from what I've heard, I'll be eligible for OHIP once I've worked for 6 months. That being the case, would I get away with only having a few months of bought insurance to cover those months when I activate my new work permit? When I landed last year I came with just 4 months insurance (because I honestly didn't think I'd be in Canada any longer than that) and the woman at customs hardly even gave it a glance. This time, with more at stake, I'm concerned that I'll get some over zealous customs official.

Also on that subject, does anyone know the best way to get cover whilst still in canada?
Old Apr 6th 2015, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health insurance for new IEC

Why are CBSA officers in your eyes over zealous when a MANDATORY provision of the IEC is that you have medical coverage to cover you for the duration of your stay. No Provincial coverage includes repatriation which is the main part of your coverage unless you fancy paying thousands for your own medivac flight.
just because one officer glances at a policy doesn't mean another won't ensure it meets the IEC requirements.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

While I get what you're saying, obviously the requirements are written with newcomers in mind primarily. If ive lived here for a year, if I already had my OHIP card, then why would I buy 24 months health insurance?
Old Apr 6th 2015, 6:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pilky01
While I get what you're saying, obviously the requirements are written with newcomers in mind primarily. If ive lived here for a year, if I already had my OHIP card, then why would I buy 24 months health insurance?
Because OHIP doesn't cover many things that travel insurance does, including repatriation. That's why it's a requirement of the IEC and a CBSA officer would hardly be being 'over zealous' if they were ensuring you actually met the requirement of the program before issuing your visa.

You were very lucky you weren't refused entry last time around, as FL said it's mandatory and you could have wasted an airfare which would have cost far more than an extra 8 months of insurance.

Bottom line, don't try and get away with it and that way you can be sure you'll be issued your visa and won't be hit with a huge bill should you (God forbid, but you never know) need to be repatriated to the UK.

HTH.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Cool, thanks for the advice.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Any suggestions on where's best to buy that kind of cover without having to be in the UK?
Old Apr 6th 2015, 6:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Any suggestions on where's best to buy that kind of cover without having to be in the UK?
Have a search of the IEC thread, loads of suggestions in there.

HTH.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Divvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have used alpha longstay insurance for the last two years.