Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Has anybody used the Niagara Border Crossing - What to expect ?

Has anybody used the Niagara Border Crossing - What to expect ?

Old Dec 14th 2009, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Pudseytwo is on a distinguished road
Default Has anybody used the Niagara Border Crossing - What to expect ?

Hi there,

We are driving up from New York up to Niagara and onto Toronto next week and was wondering how the whole border crossing thing works ?

I'm hoping that you can get a form/visa at the border, if not I think I may have left it a little late

Has anyone out there gone this way and if so could you please tell me what is the procedure ?

Cheers !
Old Dec 14th 2009, 11:52 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has anybody used the Niagara Border Crossing - What to expect ?

Hi

I have done that trip in reverse a few times. When I got to the border I gave my passport to the guy in the booth, he asks some questions, where you going/coming from, purpose of your trip ect ect. He then send you off to the get your card to cross over (cant remember what it is called) they ask you loads more questions and then if they are happy you will get your card to come over. You pay $6 for the pleasure.

We have a UK passport, which they seem to be OK with but some others really get a grilling.

Good luck
Old Dec 14th 2009, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply

So I don't need to get any kind of visa form in advance, I started reading some postings on Google and they were all conflicting (maybe they were out of date).
Old Dec 15th 2009, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Are you travelling on a British passport and just going for a short visit?

If so, then in general you just need to drive to the border and smile. You do not normally need a visa.

Last edited by bewillow; Dec 15th 2009 at 2:24 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, we have UK passports and are flying into New York and driving up to Canada for a bit of skiing and then back down to New York again.

I wasn't sure if you needed something like the USA equivalent of 'Esta' Visa Waiver form ?