Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Where to apply - UK citizen but not resident in UK

Where to apply - UK citizen but not resident in UK

Old Dec 15th 2009, 3:06 am
Just Joined

exoticices is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to apply - UK citizen but not resident in UK

Hello everybody,

Aren't immigration agents wonderful?

We're UK citizens but are currently non-resident in the UK, living and working abroad. I've done a couple of 'free assessments' and of course got contradictory advice! One of them (a CSIC consultant) said that, despite being non-resident, we can still apply through London because of our citizenship. The other (an immigration services company) said that we have to apply to the embassy of our country of residence.

I've had a read of the CIC application form instruction guide EG7 (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/EG7.pdf) and on page 24 it says, "Visa Office requested for the processing of your application: You must select and write the name of the Visa Office which serves: - your country of nationality; or - the country in which you are residing"

I understand this as meaning that we can apply through London because of our citizenship, even though we're not actually UK resident at the moment, so the CSIC consultant's advice is correct.

Could someone clarify this for me.

Thanks,
John
Old Dec 15th 2009, 4:41 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to apply - UK citizen but not resident in UK

Hi

Originally Posted by exoticices
Hello everybody,

We're UK citizens but are currently non-resident in the UK, living and working abroad. I've done a couple of 'free assessments' and of course got contradictory advice! One of them (a CSIC consultant) said that, despite being non-resident, we can still apply through London because of our citizenship. The other (an immigration services company) said that we have to apply to the embassy of our country of residence.

I've had a read of the CIC application form instruction guide EG7 (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/EG7.pdf) and on page 24 it says, "Visa Office requested for the processing of your application: You must select and write the name of the Visa Office which serves: - your country of nationality; or - the country in which you are residing"

I understand this as meaning that we can apply through London because of our citizenship, even though we're not actually UK resident at the moment, so the CSIC consultant's advice is correct.

Thanks,
John
You can select the office of your citizenship or where you reside, if you have been ADMITTED for 1 year as the visa office for the processing.

PMM
Old Dec 15th 2009, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

Originally Posted by exoticices
Hello everybody,

Thanks,
John
John

Where are you residing at the moment? Have you checked to see if the time on the CIC website is quicker than UK?

Yelkcub
Old Dec 15th 2009, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

exoticices is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks PMM. That confirms how I understood it.

Hi Yelkcub. We've been in China for a couple of years. I'd be very surprised if it was quicker here than the UK. I didn't realise the times were on the CIC website, but I've just had a look and it says, "Current processing times for Federal Skilled Worker applications received after February 26, 2008 will be available with the next update, in January/February 2010." So I'll have to wait, although it seems the non-FSW PR applications are quicker in Beijing than London. Hmmm, I'll ask a couple of friends here and see what they think.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

johngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nice

Work load in London is greater..
Old Dec 15th 2009, 4:33 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by johngrimes
Work load in London is greater..
\\

Not by a long shot, PRC 29000 Immigrants processed, London 9000 in 2008