Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Guardianship of Nieces and Nephews

Guardianship of Nieces and Nephews

Old Jul 18th 2016, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Guardianship of Nieces and Nephews

My sister has sole custody of her 11 year old twins. She still lives in the UK.She is just drawing up new arrangements for life assurances, guardianship etc.
She would like us to be guardians of the kids if anything was to happen to her. What would be the immigration implications?
We have PR but plan to go for citizenship when we have met the requirements.

Your thoughts and advice would be appreciated.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 7:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guardianship of Nieces and Nephews

Gosh, that's a really good question! My initial thought is that I think you'd have to formally adopt the children to be able to bring them to Canada, as your dependent children, but perhaps others know of another route.

As an aside, we've just redone our wills too, and have made two sets of couples joint guardians. The ones they would probably end up living with are in Bristol and if (God forbid) the worst happened to hubby and I, I didn't want the children being immediately uprooted and taken away from their schools, friends, home, everything else that is familiar. So although they'd probably end up living with them in Bristol in time, we've made local friends joint guardians so that they could look after them initially at least and keep their routine. Maybe your sister could do the same? I can't imagine how awful it would be for the children to have to move countries in such circumstances, and it would give you time to sort out the legal and visa side of things too.

Hope that PMM or somebody more knowledgeable than I will be able to help on the visa issues.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 10:36 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle
My sister has sole custody of her 11 year old twins. She still lives in the UK.She is just drawing up new arrangements for life assurances, guardianship etc.
She would like us to be guardians of the kids if anything was to happen to her. What would be the immigration implications?
We have PR but plan to go for citizenship when we have met the requirements.

Your thoughts and advice would be appreciated.
1. If they were orphaned and under the age of 18 (present law) they could be sponsored as PRs.
Old Jul 19th 2016, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Gosh, that's a really good question! My initial thought is that I think you'd have to formally adopt the children to be able to bring them to Canada, as your dependent children, but perhaps others know of another route.

As an aside, we've just redone our wills too, and have made two sets of couples joint guardians. The ones they would probably end up living with are in Bristol and if (God forbid) the worst happened to hubby and I, I didn't want the children being immediately uprooted and taken away from their schools, friends, home, everything else that is familiar. So although they'd probably end up living with them in Bristol in time, we've made local friends joint guardians so that they could look after them initially at least and keep their routine. Maybe your sister could do the same? I can't imagine how awful it would be for the children to have to move countries in such circumstances, and it would give you time to sort out the legal and visa side of things too.

Hope that PMM or somebody more knowledgeable than I will be able to help on the visa issues.
She will choose some doc al friends, but wanted someone in the family included as well. Its certainly made us think about what we would do here! Thanks!
Old Jul 19th 2016, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. If they were orphaned and under the age of 18 (present law) they could be sponsored as PRs.
Good to know, thank you