Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Goods to Follow list (BSF186) after an inland landing

Goods to Follow list (BSF186) after an inland landing

Old Jul 15th 2016, 6:17 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Goods to Follow list (BSF186) after an inland landing

I know that I have already asked this question and I know Snowy has given me an answer on this as per her experiences.

So I've landed as a PR (at a CIC office inland) but I have a goods to follow list. I did go to CBSA to check with them (the lady at the reception desk) before I landed and was told I DID NOT need to present my BSF 186/A forms after my landing and that I would get these forms and documentation/manifest from the shipping company when I ship the stuff across and I then present that when I land back in Canada to show I have stuff following me.

My concern is that I thought all this needed to be done at the time of landing and my worry is if I don't get the forms stamped now. CBSA will tell me I should have done it when I landed and that I need to pay duty on everything when it arrives.

I'm sorry to ask this again but I am not finding a lot of concrete information on this for people that are already living in Canada before they become PR.

Thanks
Old Jul 15th 2016, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods to Follow list (BSF186) after an inland landing

I probably can't say anything much more to reassure you but I think you will be okay. To be honest, if you are just bringing essentially very little of quite obviously second hand personal stuff of little commercial value, I don't think you'll have a problem.

The woman at CBSA appears to have told you pretty much what I did: that the shipping company provides you with the B4, you get the stuff shipped, then jump on a plane, arriving back before your stuff, getting your B4 stamped at the airport when you arrive and then waiting for the receiving shipping company to contact you to say the stuff is here and just needs clearing by CBSA which in my experience was extremely straightforward (just involves a quick trip down to the CBSA office then the shippers will deliver your stuff). The only thing CBSA asked me after the stuff had arrived was did I have anything new. I said Yes two duvets worth about GBP20 (they were value ones).

I used Anglo Pacific (twice) and it all worked fine. They use Bekins worldwide as the receiving company in Vancouver and both companies were very efficient.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Jul 15th 2016 at 10:54 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Was this lady wearing a CBSA uniform?
Those who do a landing and are or have a residence in Canada are supposed to supply CBSA with a list of goods to follow when they land which is normally done at a POE. Those who do a landing at a CIC office within Canada should then go to a CBSA office and present a list of goods to follow.
Those who are NOT establishing a residence do not need to do anything until they actually come back and establish a residence and then they would supply the list of goods to follow.
CBSA normally fill out the BSF 186 for the person who is doing the landing and establishing a residence or have already been living in Canada on a TWP/Study Permit Dual Intent etc. The list of goods to follow can either be on the BSF 186A or itemized shipping list or home made itemized list.

CBSA would stamp this list and then when the goods arrive and you go to clear them you produce your copy of the stamped goods to follow list and your copy of the BSF 186 and copy of shippers manifest.

Me thinks you were given bad info by this lady. You are already in Canada and have done the landing and living here and thats when the BSF 186 should have been filled out and your list of goods to follow stamped.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but as you said on an earlier thread on this topic, CIC aren't likely to do that at an inland landing (are they?) as it would be a CBSA area.

So maybe Becki needs to call CBSA or go back down to the office.

S
Old Jul 15th 2016, 11:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Yes, but as you said on an earlier thread on this topic, CIC aren't likely to do that at an inland landing (are they?) as it would be a CBSA area.

S
Correct so Im wondering why she was given different info when she went to the CBSA office from that lady. Id be going back and speaking to an officer in uniform and tell them that you have done a landing at a CIC office and that you have goods to follow and didn't fill out a B4/BSF 186 on landing.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm not doing too well today with trying to answer stuff so think I am going to shut up.

I know Becki wants certainty. I think she may not get it (but she can try).

S
Old Jul 16th 2016, 12:38 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Correct so Im wondering why she was given different info when she went to the CBSA office from that lady. Id be going back and speaking to an officer in uniform and tell them that you have done a landing at a CIC office and that you have goods to follow and didn't fill out a B4/BSF 186 on landing.
Ok so I landed on Wednesday can I do this on Monday as now I am really worried they are going to refuse to stamp this.

I have my forms and COPR available for them to look at
Old Jul 16th 2016, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Ok so I landed on Wednesday can I do this on Monday as now I am really worried they are going to refuse to stamp this.

I have my forms and COPR available for them to look at
Sure just go back and see if you get a different answer this time and explain what happened.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 7:39 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560

S
Actually, FL did explain that you would need to attend a CBSA office after having the 'landing' interview at an Inland CIC office to have the 'goods to follow' documentation stamped.

Was this lady wearing a CBSA uniform?
Those who do a landing and are or have a residence in Canada are supposed to supply CBSA with a list of goods to follow when they land which is normally done at a POE. Those who do a landing at a CIC office within Canada should then go to a CBSA office and present a list of goods to follow.
Those who are NOT establishing a residence do not need to do anything until they actually come back and establish a residence and then they would supply the list of goods to follow.
CBSA normally fill out the BSF 186 for the person who is doing the landing and establishing a residence or have already been living in Canada on a TWP/Study Permit Dual Intent etc. The list of goods to follow can either be on the BSF 186A or itemized shipping list or home made itemized list.

CBSA would stamp this list and then when the goods arrive and you go to clear them you produce your copy of the stamped goods to follow list and your copy of the BSF 186 and copy of shippers manifest.

Me thinks you were given bad info by this lady. You are already in Canada and have done the landing and living here and thats when the BSF 186 should have been filled out and your list of goods to follow stamped.

My personal experience was a little different as I hadn't actually landed when my goods arrived - I had an application for PR pending and was residing in Canada at the time (and had been for 3 years).

My shipping agent in Canada took my B4 together with the shipping manifest and other documentation and we both went to the bonded warehouse. After his meeting with CBSA there, I was called in to fill out a form, pay a fee and was asked a few questions (status in Canada, proof of PR application etc.) then was asked if I had any further goods coming in after this shipment. When I answered no, the CBSA officer stamped my B4 and signed off, then gave me a document which explained that I couldn't sell anything for 12 months and should my PR status not be approved I would have to ship the items back out and that was it.

My shipping agent then took the stamped documents to the bonded area, where they released my goods to him.

Anyway...

If it's not a great deal out of your way to get your B4 stamped at a CBSA office, I would recommend doing so as soon as is convenient. Better to err on the side of caution that to find yourself on the wrong side of a grouchy CBSA officer who sticks to the letter of the law, rather than being easy going and affable about it.

Old Jul 16th 2016, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes we (FL, me Becki) discussed all this plus seeking advice from an inland CBSA office on an earlier thread and Becki tried to do this. One other thing she could try is to call them. I called them about this topic and when I actually managed to get through to someone they were very helpful. Then we didn't ship anything more at that time. But then last year my husband went to the office as Becki did before we went to the UK. Again they were very helpful. But the difference is he actually got to speak to an officer but it sounds as if maybe it's not that easy to do so now.

S
Old Jul 16th 2016, 6:09 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Siouxie
If it's not a great deal out of your way to get your B4 stamped at a CBSA office, I would recommend doing so as soon as is convenient. Better to err on the side of caution that to find yourself on the wrong side of a grouchy CBSA officer who sticks to the letter of the law, rather than being easy going and affable about it.

I will go on Monday but as I said on a different post, when I went there last Monday (before landing). The front desk clerk/receptionist told me I didn't need to do anything until I have shipped my stuff.

I didn't get to speak to an officer but the fact that someone at a Government office where I was told to go told me I didnt need to get this sign is very concerning!

it will probably be the same woman again so should I just say I'd like to hear this from an officer first?
Old Jul 16th 2016, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I will go on Monday but as I said on a different post, when I went there last Monday (before landing). The front desk clerk/receptionist told me I didn't need to do anything until I have shipped my stuff.

I didn't get to speak to an officer but the fact that someone at a Government office where I was told to go told me I didnt need to get this sign is very concerning!

it will probably be the same woman again so should I just say I'd like to hear this from an officer first?
OMG you really don't know Government employees Ask to speak to a CBSA officer and tell them you have just done a landing at a CIC office and not a POE and that you have goods to follow.
If they know anything about their job they will complete a BSF 186 or the old B4 and then stamp both copies of your goods to follow list. They will give you one back and a copy of the BSF 186/B4. Read paragraphs 17, 18 & 19 of this link
D2-2-1 Memorandum - Settlers' Effects - Tariff Item No. 9807.00.00
Old Jul 16th 2016, 6:38 pm
Bex in the city

OMG you really don't know Government employees Ask to speak to a CBSA officer and tell them you have just done a landing at a CIC office and not a POE and that you have goods to follow.
If they know anything about their job they will complete a BSF 186 or the old B4 and then stamp both copies of your goods to follow list. They will give you one back and a copy of the BSF 186/B4. Read paragraphs 17, 18 & 19 of this link
D2-2-1 Memorandum - Settlers' Effects - Tariff Item No. 9807.00.00
so you don't think it will be a problem if they 'why didn't you do this directly after being at the cic office?'

I wonder how many other people she has turned away with her lack of knowledge and understanding - maybe she was a temp and I picked a bad day
Old Jul 16th 2016, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

so you don't think it will be a problem if they 'why didn't you do this directly after being at the cic office?'

I wonder how many other people she has turned away with her lack of knowledge and understanding - maybe she was a temp and I picked a bad day
Most choose to do landings at a POE where very few if any non uniformed employees work. If they say how come you didn't do this after landing at the CIC office then point her out and say She told me I didn't need to.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 7:08 pm
Bex in the city

Most choose to do landings at a POE where very few if any non uniformed employees work. If they say how come you didn't do this after landing at the CIC office then point her out and say She told me I didn't need to.
ok thanks. I will report back on Monday

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.