Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Goods to follow list query if landing only to activate PR

Goods to follow list query if landing only to activate PR

Old Jun 1st 2011, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Lyndsay13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Goods to follow list query if landing only to activate PR

Hi,
We will be landing in under 2 weeks to activate our PR status and so am currently sorting out our goods to follow and goods accompanying lists.
However, we will be returning to the UK again straight away as we are waiting for our house to sell.
The problem we have is that some of the items on our goods to follow list currently will actually accompany us when we fly back to Canada to move there permanently such as for example some of my baby's items which for the purpose of this trip in a fortnight, will not be with us.
Therefore I'm confused as to what I should do with items that will be coming over with us next time as luggage on the plane. Do I put them on the GTF list now or will this cause problems when the container arrives in Canada as they will be missing certain items then??? Also would we be subject to paying tax on any items if we weren't to list them now??
So my questions are:-
1) How do I list items now that are not accompanying us at this time but will be when we eventually move to Canada i.e. not on the container but in our possession?
2) Will we have to pay tax on any items that we accrue after landing e.g. if we are still in the UK by Christmas - what happens to the gifts we receive?
Thanks.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

justie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to all
Default Re: Goods to follow list query if landing only to activate PR

You are probably being a bit too specific with your list, have you read the wiki section on immigration and goods to follow? I found it useful.
You can take less than what is on your goods to follow list but you can't take more.

Justie
Old Jun 1st 2011, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
yes I've read the bit on Wiki but I can't see where it answers what I need to know. That is unless anything on the goods to follow list, when we finally move to Canada, does it all have to come on the container or can some of it come over in the hold of the plane with us? I know it states that anything on the list can come over at any time. I'm not sure if I'm obsessing that customs will check the container with the GTF list and if there's any indiscrepancies due to us bringing items on the plane with us then this will cause a problem.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 6:29 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

hI

Originally Posted by Lyndsay13
Hi,
yes I've read the bit on Wiki but I can't see where it answers what I need to know. That is unless anything on the goods to follow list, when we finally move to Canada, does it all have to come on the container or can some of it come over in the hold of the plane with us? I know it states that anything on the list can come over at any time. I'm not sure if I'm obsessing that customs will check the container with the GTF list and if there's any indiscrepancies due to us bringing items on the plane with us then this will cause a problem.
As long as it on the GTF list, it doesn't matter how it gets to Canada, Container, Airline accompanying, or Donkey cart, as long as it arrives after you become a PR.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PMM
hI

As long as it on the GTF list, it doesn't matter how it gets to Canada, Container, Airline accompanying, or Donkey cart, as long as it arrives after you become a PR.
That's great. Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 8:57 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

I would prepare your GTF as best you can, I would use different sheets of paper for container/shipped, air shipped/accompanied later etc. If makes it a bit more flexiable. We did two GTF lists, one stating items shipped and the other stating items coming by air (a day after us). They were happy with multiple lists and just totalled them up and stampled them to the B4 form (which they completed).

You might find a switched on Customs Officer will ask if you are taking up residency now...in which you say "no" and then they might tell you to declare GTF when you return permamently.