Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Go on a temp visa or wait for perm res visa

Go on a temp visa or wait for perm res visa

Old Apr 20th 2015, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

callysykes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Go on a temp visa or wait for perm res visa

Any thoughts- we are trying to work out what's the best approach. My husband has a job offer and we are about to apply through the express entry visa. Our issue is do we apply for a temp working visa get over there and then apply for a perm visa once we are in Canada. We are a bit worried as this will mean selling my husbands business without knowing we can stay and secondly our eldest is due to start school in the uk in sep if we stay so want to try to minimise disruption to him. Does anyone know once you've been picked from the pool how long a permanent visa usually takes to process?
Many thanks for your help
Old Apr 20th 2015, 8:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Go on a temp visa or wait for perm res visa

It really will depend on how long the employer is prepared to wait for your husband, and if they're happy to wait whether that works with your timescales. PR via EE should take approx 6 months according to CIC.

Has the employer got the LMIA already?
Old Apr 20th 2015, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

callysykes is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply.
No not yet!
Old Apr 20th 2015, 8:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

P.S. Just thought I should add that CIC say 6 months but of course that from when you apply, and it could take a few months to get picked.

Personally I'd do both if you don't want to wait that long i.e. apply under EE but move on a TWP whilst you wait for PR.

HTH.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 8:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by callysykes
Thanks for your reply.
No not yet!
Ah, ok. That can take several months, so if you want to move before Sept for your eldest, that might make the decision for you!