Moving to Canada

Old Apr 19th 2015, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

mac9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Canada

Hey guys I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.

I'm looking for as much information as I can get in regards to personal experience from people who have already moved or are in the successful process of doing so. I've researched a lot and I have a good idea of what I need to do in hopes of this becoming a reality but like I said personal accounts and advice from folk who are in the same boat means a lot more than bullet points on a website.

I'm from Scotland and my girlfriend is Canadian this is the reason for the move among other things, Canada in my opinion is a better way of life. I'm 21 and I will be finished my apprenticeship in February of next year as a Plumber which in total I have worked as for 6/7 years (Since I left school). I've known my misses since last July and things hit off instantly, we've been dating for 6 months and I regularly pay her a visit as she comes here; I've recently just returned from a 2 week trip. I've known her a year in July and can only see good things to be made of this, she still lives with her parents but the goal is to move out and get on with our lives which wouldn't be a problem.

My questions in regards to you guys is, what are my options? and how good a chance do I have in moving to Canada, the province I want to move to is Alberta. I'd preferably like to hear from other tradesman but the process of preparing for a move is still a blur to me so if someone could explain it slightly better than some of these websites I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
mac.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 8:30 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada

Originally Posted by mac9
Hey guys I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.

I'm looking for as much information as I can get in regards to personal experience from people who have already moved or are in the successful process of doing so. I've researched a lot and I have a good idea of what I need to do in hopes of this becoming a reality but like I said personal accounts and advice from folk who are in the same boat means a lot more than bullet points on a website.

I'm from Scotland and my girlfriend is Canadian this is the reason for the move among other things, Canada in my opinion is a better way of life. I'm 21 and I will be finished my apprenticeship in February of next year as a Plumber which in total I have worked as for 6/7 years (Since I left school). I've known my misses since last July and things hit off instantly, we've been dating for 6 months and I regularly pay her a visit as she comes here; I've recently just returned from a 2 week trip. I've known her a year in July and can only see good things to be made of this, she still lives with her parents but the goal is to move out and get on with our lives which wouldn't be a problem.

My questions in regards to you guys is, what are my options? and how good a chance do I have in moving to Canada, the province I want to move to is Alberta. I'd preferably like to hear from other tradesman but the process of preparing for a move is still a blur to me so if someone could explain it slightly better than some of these websites I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
mac.
Hi and welcome to BE. Start by giving a good read to the Wiki section. It's the fourth tab from the left on the blue bar above. It contains a wealth of information and should answer most, if not all, of your questions. When you have done that you can come back with more specific questions. Good luck on your journey.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Hi and welcome to BE. Start by giving a good read to the Wiki section. It's the fourth tab from the left on the blue bar above. It contains a wealth of information and should answer most, if not all, of your questions. When you have done that you can come back with more specific questions. Good luck on your journey.
Hey Simon thanks for the reply, I've read a good bit of the wiki but I'm still wondering what is the best option for me in my current position to gain entry to Canada.

By what I've said what would be the most efficient way? I was looking at the 2 year work permit, but how hard is it to achieve this in my profession and what would be the steps into obtaining this?

Sorry if I have missed this information somewhere but it's nice to talk to someone about it, do you have any experience through the immigration process?
Old Apr 20th 2015, 4:32 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Simon thanks for the reply, I've read a good bit of the wiki but I'm still wondering what is the best option for me in my current position to gain entry to Canada.

By what I've said what would be the most efficient way? I was looking at the 2 year work permit, but how hard is it to achieve this in my profession and what would be the steps into obtaining this?

Sorry if I have missed this information somewhere but it's nice to talk to someone about it, do you have any experience through the immigration process?
Hello and welcome to BE!

I would suggest looking at the IEC working holiday work permit. Unfortunately you are too late for this year, but if you apply when they come out again in January 2016 it would give you a 2 year work permit. Be aware they go VERY quickly (a couple of hours this year I believe!). You would have a year to activate it, so should give you plenty of time to get things sorted out for the trip. There are financial and insurance requirements but you have more than 8 months to start saving for it!

You can read more here: International Experience Canada - travel and work in Canada

As your post is mostly about immigration, I'll move it to that section of the forum.

Old Apr 20th 2015, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of hours!!! Ha.

The first batch went in 11 minutes.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 7:05 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kswoosh
Couple of hours!!! Ha.

The first batch went in 11 minutes.
Wait list is still available isnt it?

Looking at website it is 2,800 into the 5000.

There is a small chance OP could get in...
Old Apr 20th 2015, 7:27 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Wait list is still available isnt it?

Looking at website it is 2,800 into the 5000.

There is a small chance OP could get in...
True, but the likelihood of all 5,000 original applicants from the two rounds not qualifying (which is basically where the waiting list comes in) is not very likely.

The OP isn't planning on coming to Canada until after February next year when his apprenticeship ends, so he has plenty of time.

Old Apr 20th 2015, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
True, but the likelihood of all 5,000 original applicants from the two rounds not qualifying (which is basically where the waiting list comes in) is not very likely.

The OP isn't planning on coming to Canada until after February next year when his apprenticeship ends, so he has plenty of time.

Yeah next year is the time I want to come over so when would be a good time to apply?

Would I go through the 2year work permit and if so is it ok to apply before I'm fully qualified or do I need to wait for my certificates?

Thanks for all your responses it really encourages me.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 10:47 pm
Banned

Yeah next year is the time I want to come over so when would be a good time to apply?

Would I go through the 2year work permit and if so is it ok to apply before I'm fully qualified or do I need to wait for my certificates?

Thanks for all your responses it really encourages me.
The IEC is a working holiday work permit, currently valid for 2 years at a time (from this year). They are only available for a very limited period of time - normally January - and in limited quantities (5,000 this year). It's open to anyone between the ages of 18 and 30 on a first come, first served basis.

So what you would do is apply as soon as they are available (you will literally have minutes to get your application in), complete the application and etc., per the directions on the link I gave you earlier, then you would have up to a year to activate it in Canada. That would give you time to complete your apprenticeship, get yourself organised and then head over when you are ready.

Old Apr 20th 2015, 10:53 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

When we say you'll have to be quick with the IEC visa... we really aren't kidding. This year, the program opened in two rounds, end of March and beginning of April. Each round had 2500 spots available. Round 1 was full in 11 minutes. Round 2 was full in 2 minutes. So you literally have MINUTES to get your application in. You should have your letter 6-8 weeks after paying your fees, which is roughly a week ish after you get your application in when it initially opens. In previous years there have been 3 rounds with a total of 5300ish spots available, but given there's already been 5000 spots this year gone, a third round is not expected.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
The IEC is a working holiday work permit, currently valid for 2 years at a time (from this year). They are only available for a very limited period of time - normally January - and in limited quantities (5,000 this year). It's open to anyone between the ages of 18 and 30 on a first come, first served basis.

So what you would do is apply as soon as they are available (you will literally have minutes to get your application in), complete the application and etc., per the directions on the link I gave you earlier, then you would have up to a year to activate it in Canada. That would give you time to complete your apprenticeship, get yourself organised and then head over when you are ready.

I think the OP is also asking if he could work as a plumber in Alberta. Isn't plumbing a protected trade in Alberta?