Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Getting married so that we can apply for sponsorship faster...

Getting married so that we can apply for sponsorship faster...

Old Mar 19th 2015, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

tomsteetley is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Getting married so that we can apply for sponsorship faster...

Hello,

I've created a new thread on the subject because i'd really appreciate some advice from people with relevant experiences.

We really appreciate anybody taking the time to read and to help us with our dilemma.

I'm a 29 years old British citizen currently living in Whistler with my Canadian girlfriend.
I've been here about 8 months and my IEC visa is due to expire on April 20th 2015.

My girlfriend and I have been living together for about 6 months now and we want to do whatever it takes to stay together.

Originally we were planning on doing everything we can to meet the requirements after 12 months for common-law sponsorship. But on closer inspection it just seems too difficult. For example, we live together but i'm not on the lease agreement. Also, it just seems far too risky being here that long as a tourist.

So we're committed to the idea of getting married so we can stay together, in Canada.

We already have flights booked flights back to England for my dads wedding on May 22nd and will be returning to Whistler 2 weeks later. But i'm now thinking this trip back to England would make for a great "honeymoon" after our wedding?

If we were to arrange a small ceremony in Vancouver would it not matter that we didn't have any family attending and just friends? As although we'd be getting married. We'd still love to have a ceremony on a much larger scale in a year or twos time.

If anyone has any experience on the matter we'd love to hear from you.

Again, many thanks for taking the time to read all this!

Tom
Old Mar 19th 2015, 5:19 am
A taffy in Ontario

snuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Getting married so that we can apply for sponsorship faster...

When being sponsored via common-law or married the process is pretty much the same, you complete all the correct forms and you have to provide information to show your relationship is genuine.

When married - you provide details of your wedding, family attending, honeymoon plans etc and of course the official documents.

Common-law - you have to show a detailed time-line and show proof of your relationship.. ( joint lease..bank accounts etc etc)

In my opinion, I would apply for a visitor visa, then after 12 months of living together you will able to apply for Common-law sponsorship.
If you want to get married in the future, it will improve your chances for approval.

The only problem I will mention is that you will be unable to work the rest of this year and then while the application is processing you wont be able to work unless you apply INLAND and then apply for pilot temporary work permit which can take around 4 months, so its a considerable amount of time without work.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 5:59 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomsteetley
Hello,

I've created a new thread on the subject because i'd really appreciate some advice from people with relevant experiences.

We really appreciate anybody taking the time to read and to help us with our dilemma.

I'm a 29 years old British citizen currently living in Whistler with my Canadian girlfriend.
I've been here about 8 months and my IEC visa is due to expire on April 20th 2015.

My girlfriend and I have been living together for about 6 months now and we want to do whatever it takes to stay together.

Originally we were planning on doing everything we can to meet the requirements after 12 months for common-law sponsorship. But on closer inspection it just seems too difficult. For example, we live together but i'm not on the lease agreement. Also, it just seems far too risky being here that long as a tourist.

So we're committed to the idea of getting married so we can stay together, in Canada.

We already have flights booked flights back to England for my dads wedding on May 22nd and will be returning to Whistler 2 weeks later. But i'm now thinking this trip back to England would make for a great "honeymoon" after our wedding?

If we were to arrange a small ceremony in Vancouver would it not matter that we didn't have any family attending and just friends? As although we'd be getting married. We'd still love to have a ceremony on a much larger scale in a year or twos time.

Tom
You can do it as you describe but you'd do well to explain why, briefly, when you apply. It can look a bit odd if family aren't present at the wedding but if you explain you're planning a reception at a later time for family I doubt it'll be an issue.

Regardless of getting married I'd investigate ways you can combine your affairs. Like getting your name on the lease, having some sort of joint bank accounts and expenses. Can be simple stuff like a "family" cell phone plan with two lines on it. One person having the hydro bill in their name and the other having the gas bill etc.

Looked into getting a 2nd IEC visa provided you qualify? UK ones are now 24 months.

My senses are tingling a bit with your plan to leave Canada after your IEC expires and then returning a few weeks later to continue living here. What status will you have?
Old Mar 19th 2015, 1:46 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

FYI here is the other thread where OP is discussing the same thing, of which I've given him quite extensive answers as well: http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...n-help-854642/ Just for reference.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

8 months and getting married?
I've been with my Fiance for 14 years now,been engaged for 13.
No offense intended at all but don't you feel that you are rushing things for maybe the wrong reasons?
I've gone with girls for 2 years and found that those relationships had simply run their course.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 9:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scootb
No offense intended at all but don't you feel that you are rushing things for maybe the wrong reasons?
I've gone with girls for 2 years and found that those relationships had simply run their course.
Then there are those of us that think that if you still haven't got married after 14 years, then perhaps there's a reason for that.

I don't see the point of waiting if it's the right person, and the only people I know who are divorced are those that spent years and years together before marrying.

I should perhaps caveat this by saying that I moved in with hubby after only a few weeks of dating, and we were married well within your '2 year' point. We've now been married for 13 years, with 2 kids and it was still the best decision I ever made.

But my parents were married within 5 months (no not for that reason!), and they're still happily married 41 years later, so I never had any rules when it came to timelines for marriage.

Different strokes for different folks and all that, what works for you isn't the case for everybody.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 10:18 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Different strokes for different folks and all that
I thought this was a family forum!
Old Mar 19th 2015, 10:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
I thought this was a family forum!
Old Mar 19th 2015, 10:27 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scootb
My husbands parents were married within one year of meeting. They've been married 41 years.

Sometimes you just know, and you do what you have to do to stay with someone.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 11:03 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomsteetley
Hello,

Tom
If you want to get married, you get married. Whether it will help you stay in the Country legally and be allowed to work, I have no idea. My motives for getting married weren't quite as Machiavellian. I think it was more guilt and duty.

Still, after 20 something years it seems to have worked!

Last edited by rivingtonpike; Mar 19th 2015 at 11:04 pm. Reason: Can't type properly.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 12:13 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
My husbands parents were married within one year of meeting. They've been married 41 years.

Sometimes you just know, and you do what you have to do to stay with someone.
My sister was 22 when she married her 21 year old boyfriend after a year of knowing him - they celebrate their 50th Wedding anniversary next year!

A couple I know in the UK met when she was 14, married when she was 16 and celebrate 40 years together this year.

If it's right, it's right, regardless of time.

Old Mar 20th 2015, 12:17 am
Concierge

Yep! Sometimes you just know!

I knew only a few months in that I was with my now-husband for the long haul. We did wait before getting married etc, we weren't in a rush... just more said we wanted to hold off, but it was just our decision. We decided to move in together after we'd been together for only 10 months (the actual move-in was just after that) and got married after being together 3.5 years. Next month will be 3 years and counting!

Other friends of ours just got married last summer. They've been together for 11 years. The reaction was "holy crap, finally". Actually, another set of friends are getting married in June nad have also been together 11 years, though they joke they have an "accountant's marriage" - they own a place together, are listed on each other's insurance and wills, etc, just aren't actually married. They are FINALLY sorting that out, though!
Old Mar 20th 2015, 12:39 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Ben and I got married so I could get a grant to pay for my teacher training!
It was means tested. If we were married it was based on his (zero) income rather than my parents.

We've been married since 98.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get me wrong,we do plan on getting married possibly next year,it's down to timing,and finances.
I'd rather save a mortgage deposit than spend thousands to get my dad and brother over on top of the actual wedding costs.
We have 3 daughters,we never argue anymore and just haven't felt that a marriage certificate would change our lives,obviously our daughters want us to get married though.

Sometimes a relationship can feel right,but it just isn't I've seen a lot of couples split up because they just stopped getting along after that 'loved up' period has passed.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 1:13 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

While I appreciate that people have lots of different reasons and motivations, one thing I've never understood is the desire to blow 10s of thousands of pounds on a wedding.

We were still students and did ours on the cheap. I refused to spend money on stuff just because others expected it.

If you want to get married it doesn't have to cost a fortune.