Future inland spouse - Question

Old Nov 24th 2004, 3:42 am
Just Joined

sarahvan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Future inland spouse - Question

I am a US citizen and will be marrying my Canadian fiance on January 8. I will be crossing the border by car on December 15 to get married and apply for permanent residence from within Canada. I'm looking for any advice on how to make the border crossing go smoothly. My fiance will be with me when I cross so he can vouch for the fact that we are getting married and that he will support me since I will not be able to work during the process. I will have him bring pay stubs to prove his financial capacity to provide for me. I also plan on taking with me proof of our upcoming wedding (an invitation, receipts from wedding purchases, I'll even have my veil with me!!) as well as proof that I have started gathering information for my application (receipts from fingerprinting, immigration photos, proof that I mailed the criminal record request to the FBI). I will only be bringing a couple of suitcases with me, and will put the rest of my belongings in storage here in the states until I am landed and can bring them into Canada. Any advice? Is there anything I'm forgetting or am I completely missing what I should be doing?

Also, I should mention that my fiance and I were one of the many couples who applied for sponsorship through the conjugal category, not realizing that we did not meet the requirements. We were denied in May 2004. Will this raise any red flags when we reapply as spouses?

Thanks for your help!

Sarah
Old Nov 24th 2004, 3:59 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Future inland spouse - Question

Hi Sara

Originally Posted by sarahvan
I am a US citizen and will be marrying my Canadian fiance on January 8. I will be crossing the border by car on December 15 to get married and apply for permanent residence from within Canada. I'm looking for any advice on how to make the border crossing go smoothly. My fiance will be with me when I cross so he can vouch for the fact that we are getting married and that he will support me since I will not be able to work during the process. I will have him bring pay stubs to prove his financial capacity to provide for me. I also plan on taking with me proof of our upcoming wedding (an invitation, receipts from wedding purchases, I'll even have my veil with me!!) as well as proof that I have started gathering information for my application (receipts from fingerprinting, immigration photos, proof that I mailed the criminal record request to the FBI). I will only be bringing a couple of suitcases with me, and will put the rest of my belongings in storage here in the states until I am landed and can bring them into Canada. Any advice? Is there anything I'm forgetting or am I completely missing what I should be doing?

Also, I should mention that my fiance and I were one of the many couples who applied for sponsorship through the conjugal category, not realizing that we did not meet the requirements. We were denied in May 2004. Will this raise any red flags when we reapply as spouses?

Thanks for your help!

Sarah
You should not have any problems most likely, but if your asked, be honest, say you were refused, on the basis of that you weren't conjugal. Make sure you mention the refusal in the application as well.

PMM