FSW payment failure

Old Jul 13th 2017, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

El Supremo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default FSW payment failure

Hi,

Tonight I have finally submitted my FSW application having previously been invited to apply.

I proceeded to the payment stage and submitted my card payment details - unfortunately, I received a message saying that the payment was declined. Has anyone had this happen to them before? What should I do next?

Thanks!
Old Jul 13th 2017, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

MegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to all
Default Re: FSW payment failure

It's quite the cost, and if your bank wasn't expecting such an out the blue purchase in foreign currency, or your account with them does not allow foreign currency purchases that might explain it.

I would try contacting the bank and find the reason for rejection.

Halifax do a credit card with no currency conversion fee that I use for all my foreign money purchasing and paid my fee with that no problem.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MegaJamie
It's quite the cost, and if your bank wasn't expecting such an out the blue purchase in foreign currency, or your account with them does not allow foreign currency purchases that might explain it.

I would try contacting the bank and find the reason for rejection.

Halifax do a credit card with no currency conversion fee that I use for all my foreign money purchasing and paid my fee with that no problem.
Thanks for replying.

I'm actually living in Canada at the moment and so used my Scotiabank Visa debit card.

I do have a Halifax Clarity card too so I might just use that instead as it's usually accepted whereas the debit card is often hit and miss.

Hopefully it eon't be too long before I can try payment again.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Shenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond repute

It's not the same as it is in UK, you cannot pay online using your debit card. It has to be credit card. I tried paying using my debit card and i was declined. For payments using Scotia credit card, do you know if have a spending limit for one off purchase?
I am with Scotia, and my visa credit card has a limit on how much I can spend online in one off purchase 'big ticket item'. They put a limit to combat fraud transactions. If you speak to your bank or branch finance advisor they could increase your spending limit for short period, so you can do your business.
If you are going to pay using a UK card make sure you inform your bank first before using your card, unless you have card registered for payment overseas with your bank, they will block any transaction suspecting fraud.
All the best with your application!

Last edited by Shenkor; Jul 13th 2017 at 7:48 am.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

It's all ok now - I used my Halifax card and it was processed without issue.

I frequently have issues with the debit card - thry don't seem to like debit cards here very much at all.

Anyway, I've now submitted my application and I guess it's time to play the waiting game.

Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Debit cards seem to be good for personal use, but I've noticed that a large number of on-line sources say "debit cards not accepted".

In the last couple of years, there have been quite a few cases of frauds using debit cards even at point-of-sale machines and at bank machines.

I guess some companies, especially on-line, have got "camera-shy"

However, I would never have even contemplated using a debit card to pay a government fee on-line. I even have a feeling that a debit card was not accepted for payment for a new Canadian passport.