FSW confusion

Old Sep 9th 2013, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

cornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nice
Default FSW confusion

Sorry I had to open another thread, I tried the Skilled Worker wiki but it seems it hasn't been updated since the revision of the FSW programme.
I am basically trying to get my head around the whole FSW thing at the moment. My partner qualifies under the Eligible Occupations stream as a Geoscientist, has 3-4 years work experience and is currently studying towards a PhD (he has completed 2 years of it, and received an MPhil in the process. Does anyone know if the MPhil will get us the Masters level points, or is that only for MA/MSc/MRes?). He does not hold a job offer yet as we're not planning to move until late next year/early 2015.

Is it really as easy as just filling out the FSW application form and submitting it? It seems that IELTS needs to be arranged before the application submission, but are there other steps I'm missing out? Do we need to get his qualifications recognised/assessed (I'm more familiar with the Oz immigration process where you need to get a skills assessment from your industry specific assessing authority before you can do anything else) before he can submit his application?

Also, I have asked this in a separate thread but have since found a link on the CIC website and just wanted some clarification if possible. What are the current processing times for FSW applications? This link (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...killed-fed.asp) suggests processing times of around 2 years for the London visa office? Is that right? Again, I'm comparing this info with processing times for Australian PR visas (I know I shouldn't compare but can't help it) and it seems awfully slow?

Looking forward to your replies!

Many thanks!
Old Sep 10th 2013, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

cornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nice
Default Re: FSW confusion

I think I've found out what to do with regards to the skills assessment, it looks like we need to do this before we submit the application. Could anyone confirm that's right?

Also, if anyone has any info on whether a MPhil from a British university is enough to claim the Masters qualification points that'd be amazing!

Thaaank you!
Old Sep 10th 2013, 6:36 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

First you will need to get your partners educational credentials recognised.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...-education.asp and http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...assessment.asp

Then he will need to do the IELTS test.

Once he has done those, he can apply for FSW - and yes, as his profession is on 'the list' it is relatively simple.

Be aware that 'the list' may change at the end of the year; you should put in your application as soon as possible!

Unfortunately, processing times are lengthy at present.

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 10th 2013 at 6:39 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Siouxie! Does lengthy still mean around 2 years? I'm sure I read somewhere when the new list/FSW programme was introduced that they were trying to reduce processing times?

I guess we could always get a TWP or even Working Holiday visa (not sure of the correct name for the visa?) first and wait for PR to come through in Canada, righh?
Old Sep 10th 2013, 8:52 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cornwall9
Thank you Siouxie! Does lengthy still mean around 2 years? I'm sure I read somewhere when the new list/FSW programme was introduced that they were trying to reduce processing times?

I guess we could always get a TWP or even Working Holiday visa (not sure of the correct name for the visa?) first and wait for PR to come through in Canada, righh?
You are very welcome

Unfortunately (at present anyway) the processing times for FSW is 23 months - though that could change. That is the 'average' processing time, some may be shorter. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...killed-fed.asp

I have read that the process for selecting FSW's may change next year so I would strongly suggest you apply as soon as you can if this is the route you choose to take.

There are other options:

If you can find a company willing to give you a contract for a full time permanent job (and can get approval for an LMO) then you could apply for a TWP; this would enable you after 1 year to apply through the Canadian Experience Class. Your partner (or yourself) could also apply for an Spousal Open Work Permit at the port of entry provided the job is classed as skilled.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/index.asp

Depending on the Province you are considering going to, having a job offer could also open the doors to you for Provincial Nomination which would also enable you to get a TWP without needing an LMO - and Provincial Nomination is a lot quicker than FSW. The first step would be to get a job offer, followed by applying for Provincial Nomination through your potential employers - then upon acceptance you would get a letter of support and get a TWP. This would allow you to have your application for PR processed in Canada, which is taking about 12 months.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp

If you are under 31 then you could apply for an IEC working holiday permit - the application process for the 2014 scheme should be open either in December or January. Be aware that competition for the limited number of places is strong and you need to be ready to submit the day it opens. It will give you a 1 year open work permit; you can apply for a 2nd year if you wish to. If both of you wish to work, you will both need to apply separately.

http://www.international.gc.ca/exper...ang=eng&view=d

With an open work permit, provided you could find a skilled position you could apply after 1 year for the CEC scheme, apply immediately for FSW (with job offer) or see if the company would be willing to nominate you for PNP.

Hopefully that gives you some ideas!

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 10th 2013 at 8:54 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

That's great, thank you so much for all that information. We still haven't quite made up our mind if we want to go back to Australia or give Canada a try. As I'm quite familiar with the Oz system by now I'm trying to get my head around the Canadian side of things at the moment. As we're not ready to leave until the end of next year arranging a job offer now seems impossible, hence why I thought of applying for PR, seeing as we're still eligible at the moment and like you said things change quite frequently.

We are both still under 31, so IEC would definitely be an option until PR arrived through the FSW route, probably easier than TWP, too. Is there a restriction of only being able to work for one employer for 6 months as with the Australian Working Holiday visa?
Oh and if we applied for IEC for 2014, would that mean we have to enter Canada in 2014? If so, it might be better to wait until 2015 for us as we're probably not quite ready to leave until late December or early January (2015).

Thanks again!

Last edited by cornwall9; Sep 10th 2013 at 9:01 pm. Reason: addition
Old Sep 10th 2013, 9:11 pm
Banned

That's great, thank you so much for all that information. We still haven't quite made up our mind if we want to go back to Australia or give Canada a try. As I'm quite familiar with the Oz system by now I'm trying to get my head around the Canadian side of things at the moment. As we're not ready to leave until the end of next year arranging a job offer now seems impossible, hence why I thought of applying for PR, seeing as we're still eligible at the moment and like you said things change quite frequently.

We are both still under 31, so IEC would definitely be an option until PR arrived through the FSW route, probably easier than TWP, too. Is there a restriction of only being able to work for one employer for 6 months as with the Australian Working Holiday visa?
Oh and if we applied for IEC for 2014, would that mean we have to enter Canada in 2014? If so, it might be better to wait until 2015 for us as we're probably not quite ready to leave until late December or early January (2015).

Thanks again!
In that case, yes, FSW would be the easier route for you.

The IEC gives you an open work permit for 12 months, meaning there are no restrictions (other than if you wish to work in childcare or healthcare, in which case you would need to do an up front medical before you came).

If you applied for the 2014 IEC you would have 12 months from the time the visa is issued to activate it, then the work permit is valid for 12 months from the time it is activated. It takes between 6-10 weeks for the visa to be issued so you would have until probably the end of February 2015 to activate it. IEC visa's are presently done in '3 rounds' - with limited places. To ensure you can get one, I would suggest applying in 2014 regardless, that way if you don't manage to you could still apply in 2015.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...nce/index.aspx
Old Sep 10th 2013, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

That's perfect, thanks so much for your help!
Old Sep 10th 2013, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Without wanting to sound cheeky, you don't happen to know the answer to my MPhil question from my original post too?
Old Sep 10th 2013, 11:02 pm
Banned

Without wanting to sound cheeky, you don't happen to know the answer to my MPhil question from my original post too?
As far as I could see, it wouldn't be treated any different than any other Masters, but you would need to get the qualification equivalencey assessment done I believe.

You can read more on page 41 of this Manual: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../op06c-eng.pdf

"... In order to obtain maximum points for education, applicants may submit evidence of more than one completed educational credential. However, any completed foreign educational credential submitted must be accompanied by an ECA report. For example, an applicant may have completed a Canadian post-secondary program and the equivalent of a Canadian post-secondary program of three years or longer at an educational institution outside of Canada. In this case, the applicant would submit proof of the completed Canadian educational credential, the completed foreign educational credential, and the ECA report demonstrating its equivalency to a completed Canadian post-secondary program credential... "

Cheeky!
Old Sep 11th 2013, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Be aware that 'the list' may change at the end of the year; you should put in your application as soon as possible!

Can I just ask where you got the information from that the list may change again this year? I thought they only did it once a year so assumed we'd be fine until next May? Argh, I hate waiting for a new list to come out.. so nerve wrecking! My partner is off on a research trip to Spain this week, then stuck in a lab in Denmark for two months so don't think we'd be able to get the IELTS test done until December, meaning we won't be able to apply until then anyways.. bugger!
Old Sep 11th 2013, 3:46 pm
Banned

Can I just ask where you got the information from that the list may change again this year? I thought they only did it once a year so assumed we'd be fine until next May? Argh, I hate waiting for a new list to come out.. so nerve wrecking! My partner is off on a research trip to Spain this week, then stuck in a lab in Denmark for two months so don't think we'd be able to get the IELTS test done until December, meaning we won't be able to apply until then anyways.. bugger!
Hi again,

There are discussions in place to change the FSW stream to one incorporating "Expression of Interest" pools, similar to NZ.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2/interest.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...ations/eis.asp

I doubt anything will change before April, but I would suggest getting your application in sooner rather than later.

Old Sep 11th 2013, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Oh yes I've heard about the EOI idea, quite like it to be honest, especially as it means that those with a higher point score get processed quicker than others (at least that's how it works in Oz).
Will try to get stuff sorted asap, but to be honest we haven't even decided what we want to do yet. Going back to Oz is still an option for us. It all very much depends on my partner's job opportunities after he's finished his PhD too, not looking to promising down under at the moment. So may just give Canada a go, plus PR for Canada is a lot cheaper than for Oz which is always a bonus (not saying we'd be making a decision based on that but it certainly helps given the uncertainty of where we're actually going to end up, if that makes sense).

Again, thanks for your help!
Old Sep 11th 2013, 5:42 pm
Banned

You could get his qualifications and certifications assessed in the meantime.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...assessment.asp

Old Sep 12th 2013, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

That's the idea, hopefully we should have everything ready to send to CIC by January time.