Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Frustrated by government ineptitude

Frustrated by government ineptitude

Old Sep 22nd 2011, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

carrin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Frustrated by government ineptitude

I'm not even sure this is the right forum considering we're not even at the PR application stage. I apologize, I don't think I'm really looking for advice. Although if someone has a bright idea or anything helpful to contribute I've LOVE to hear it.

My British husband is visiting me in Canada until Nov 13. We got married in June, applied for the marriage cert at the first of July, dutifully and patiently waited our 10 weeks. Only to find out that the city never signed our license and so it was sent back to the city clerk 7 weeks earlier. They claimed to never get it back. To sum up a long story of buck passing, after going back and forth a few times, it was finally mailed from the city on Sept 12. It's now Sept 22 and the Ontario Registrar General has seen no sign of it. Canada Post has lost it? It's buried under paperwork on someone's desk? Someone who doesn't care if we ever have a normal life or not?

Clearly I'm frustrated. We've just this week submitted his application for extension for the visitor's visa. Hopefully there's no glitches there.

Is there anything I can do? I'm guessing sending the PR app without all required paperwork is a waste of time. Feels like we've already waited an age and we haven't even really begun waiting yet!

Looking for a pat on the head and a little "there there.. will be alright"... similar tales of angst welcomed also.

Sorry for the rant, but I do feel a bit better now
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 6:25 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Frustrated by government ineptitude

there there.., it will be alright.

In with the bees.............out with the butterflies...

Old Sep 23rd 2011, 4:07 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

When I submitted my application I included the marriage certificate that was issued at the time of marriage - not the official Ontario Certificate of Marriage. I stated that I would forward the official one on request but I was never asked for it by CIC.

I would suggest submitting your application together with the "unofficial" marriage certificate (stating that you will forward the official one once received) and then applying online https://www.orgforms.gov.on.ca/eForm...WelcomePage.do to get the official one and submit that later.

No need to wait
Old Sep 25th 2011, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

We got married in a small church in England. They do not do so many weddings. Once they have filled up the whole marriage registry book, which can sometimes take several years, at that point they apparently forward the whole thing off to the UK's GRO. Until that point, I suspect a rogue fire in the church would wipe out all central record of our marriage.

So we paid for a couple of extra copies of the certificate. But the vicar's wife has to write them out by hand, so it took a long time.

Everywhere has their own crazy schemes.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

monkfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carrin
I'm not even sure this is the right forum considering we're not even at the PR application stage. I apologize, I don't think I'm really looking for advice. Although if someone has a bright idea or anything helpful to contribute I've LOVE to hear it.

My British husband is visiting me in Canada until Nov 13. We got married in June, applied for the marriage cert at the first of July, dutifully and patiently waited our 10 weeks. Only to find out that the city never signed our license and so it was sent back to the city clerk 7 weeks earlier. They claimed to never get it back. To sum up a long story of buck passing, after going back and forth a few times, it was finally mailed from the city on Sept 12. It's now Sept 22 and the Ontario Registrar General has seen no sign of it. Canada Post has lost it? It's buried under paperwork on someone's desk? Someone who doesn't care if we ever have a normal life or not?

Clearly I'm frustrated. We've just this week submitted his application for extension for the visitor's visa. Hopefully there's no glitches there.

Is there anything I can do? I'm guessing sending the PR app without all required paperwork is a waste of time. Feels like we've already waited an age and we haven't even really begun waiting yet!

Looking for a pat on the head and a little "there there.. will be alright"... similar tales of angst welcomed also.

Sorry for the rant, but I do feel a bit better now
Sounds familiar!! I'm English and married my Canadian wife in April and just as we were about to send off the temporary marriage certificate to be replaced with the "real" one i noticed the JP had forgotten to sign it. We finally got it signed and sent away which took 6 weeks to come back after a few phone calls and being told it had dissapeared.We then sent everything for my PR application and it now seems like everytime i check the timeline for the first stage approval it increases.1st stage has been over 2 months allready!! Luckily im now here in Canada on a 6 month visa with my wife and waiting "patiently" for the powers that be to decide my future.
Good luck and i hope all works out.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Is your application being processed "in Canada" or "out of Canada"
Old Sep 27th 2011, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bewillow
Is your application being processed "in Canada" or "out of Canada"
Not sure if you meant me but i have applied the outland route.Came over 40 days after applying thinking i'd get a dual intent visa,that just complicated things at immigration as now its up to 66 days i wasn't in the system.This seemed to make the official more suspicious than normal.In the end i was given a 6 month visitor visa and the waiting continues. Im confident all will be good in the end though.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

If your visa is being processed outside of Canada (e.g. London) then it is an "out of Canada"
Old Sep 27th 2011, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monkfish
.... Im confident all will be good in the end though.
Yes...we all die eventually.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Yes...we all die eventually.
At least I wont have to wait around for my death cetificate though. That's all on somebody else
Old Sep 29th 2011, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

I love your attitude Monkfish and I must try to be more patient and trusting in fate and good fortune. We have been waiting for 14 weeks now for just the certificate, but thanks to everyone's advice here, we're going to push through on the PR app and go with the short form we got on the wedding day.

By the way, HOW do you apply outland? Is it where the box asking "Where do you want the app processed?" Do we just write London?
Old Sep 29th 2011, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

BrennaBoo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by carrin
I love your attitude Monkfish and I must try to be more patient and trusting in fate and good fortune. We have been waiting for 14 weeks now for just the certificate, but thanks to everyone's advice here, we're going to push through on the PR app and go with the short form we got on the wedding day.

By the way, HOW do you apply outland? Is it where the box asking "Where do you want the app processed?" Do we just write London?
Hm, ok wel, when you go to apply - and look up your forms - it asks...where will you be applying from....here...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...-immigrate.asp

Then you either choose...one...or the other.

In regards to the marriage certificate thing. My husband and I managed to contact the registrars office and we got our certificate processed and returned 2 weeks after we got married....they are wonderful at that office, they approved us before we even put in the application for the certificate. We were given a real person to speak to as well! We spoke with our minister about the urgency of getting our application together and she helped us by writing a letter to them to go along with our letter of request. IT doesn't always have to be a long wait...sometimes you just need to explain your situation ....they were more then willing to help.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

Thanks again for the info!

As for the Registrar General's office, we have easily gotten to speak to sympathetic people in the office itself. Our forms are currently in the mailroom they think. With thousands of pieces of mail arriving daily, they will not be able to speed anything up without a letter from Immigration or similar stating that the certificate is needed for an interview or some such thing. So we call back in a few days. In the meantime, the app is going out.

I bet it will arrive at my house the day AFTER we send the app.... darn you Murphy!!