Flying out through the US

Old Jul 17th 2006, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

bigad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flying out through the US

Hi all,

well, now the passport has been sent off, I'm starting to think about flights to Toronto. One of the cheaper options seems to be a flight through the US (changing in Chicago or Newwark). Does this have any implications on my landing experience? Am I required to land directly from the UK? Also, are there any issues on the US side, bearing in mind how aggressive US immigration are at the best of times?

Does anyone have anty experience of this?

Thanks as always

Adam
Old Jul 17th 2006, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

dozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying out through the US

Originally Posted by bigad
Hi all,

well, now the passport has been sent off, I'm starting to think about flights to Toronto. One of the cheaper options seems to be a flight through the US (changing in Chicago or Newwark). Does this have any implications on my landing experience? Am I required to land directly from the UK? Also, are there any issues on the US side, bearing in mind how aggressive US immigration are at the best of times?

Does anyone have anty experience of this?

Thanks as always

Adam
I can only offer the experience of my brother who tried to fly from London to Saskatoon via Minneapolis/St Paul's, with wife and 2 kids, on a one way ticket with BA, if I recall correctly. He was not allowed to board the plane in London because he did not have a visa to enter the US even thought he was only transiting and not stopping. The americans have some very dodgy rules about what you can and can't do, and apparently to transit the country on a one way ticket you need a visa even if you are from a country that would normally travel on the visa waiver program.

This was a few years ago and just after 911 so YMMV, but you could ring the US embassy and ask.

Dozzzzy

Applied Skilled Worker (London)
Application submitted - 05th July 2004
AOR Dated - 21st July 2004 (18 Months)
Delay Letter - Arrived Jan 2006 (Delayed till June 2006)
Medical Request - 26 May 2006 (NO Interview or Updated Docs Required)
Medical Submitted - 4 June 2006
Info Request - 17 July - Update Available Funds
Old Jul 17th 2006, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds exactly right. I think they permit "onward" travel under the waiver scheme but *not* when that travel is to a country that borders the US.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/vwp/vwp.xml

Originally Posted by dozzzzy
I can only offer the experience of my brother who tried to fly from London to Saskatoon via Minneapolis/St Paul's, with wife and 2 kids, on a one way ticket with BA, if I recall correctly. He was not allowed to board the plane in London because he did not have a visa to enter the US even thought he was only transiting and not stopping. The americans have some very dodgy rules about what you can and can't do, and apparently to transit the country on a one way ticket you need a visa even if you are from a country that would normally travel on the visa waiver program.

This was a few years ago and just after 911 so YMMV, but you could ring the US embassy and ask.

Dozzzzy

Applied Skilled Worker (London)
Application submitted - 05th July 2004
AOR Dated - 21st July 2004 (18 Months)
Delay Letter - Arrived Jan 2006 (Delayed till June 2006)
Medical Request - 26 May 2006 (NO Interview or Updated Docs Required)
Medical Submitted - 4 June 2006
Info Request - 17 July - Update Available Funds
Old Jul 18th 2006, 7:52 am
Just Joined

bigad is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys, that is REALLY helpful...looks like it could be more trouble than it's worth...will fork out and go direct!
Old Jul 18th 2006, 9:28 am
Account Closed

woofwoof is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys, that is REALLY helpful...looks like it could be more trouble than it's worth...will fork out and go direct!

Here is the link (I hope) to a thread that asked the same question last year. Don't know the outcome though:-

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...anding+america
Old Jul 18th 2006, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Or if he's eligible and inclined, he could get a US visa, and not use the waiver scheme? I have no idea what the cost of that is though, might cut massively into any saving he's making on the flight...
Old Jul 18th 2006, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Or if he's eligible and inclined, he could get a US visa, and not use the waiver scheme? I have no idea what the cost of that is though, might cut massively into any saving he's making on the flight...
I think it is $100 with a 3 month lead time.