Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Questions about immigrating to Canada

Questions about immigrating to Canada

Old Jul 18th 2006, 9:38 pm
Banned

asdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant future
Default Questions about immigrating to Canada

I posted this on the wrong forum earlier. I have looked at the Canadian website and I have some immigration questions but dont know who to ask so I will pst them here. I took the assessment test for a skilled worker and score the passmark. However, I also have $829,000 CDN in assets which I think could qualify me as an investor or one of those other categories. Which category would get me permanent residency quickest? Also, is it possible that I could travel to Canada before I get residency and apply while I am in Canada, while possibly working on a temporary visa or something?
Old Jul 18th 2006, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about immigrating to Canada

Originally Posted by asdasd12345
I posted this on the wrong forum earlier. I have looked at the Canadian website and I have some immigration questions but dont know who to ask so I will pst them here. I took the assessment test for a skilled worker and score the passmark. However, I also have $829,000 CDN in assets which I think could qualify me as an investor or one of those other categories. Which category would get me permanent residency quickest? Also, is it possible that I could travel to Canada before I get residency and apply while I am in Canada, while possibly working on a temporary visa or something?
Hi, can't answer your queries in much detail but here is a link to the CIC website which will give you details of your options outwith 'skilled worker' application.
I think you are thinking of the 'Investor' category which requires you to invest $400,000 with the Province you reside and they give you it back (plus I assume some interest) 5 years 2 months later. Have a look at the other categories you might fit the bill better with them. It is worthy of note the some of these Business categories don't guarantee earlier immigration than skilled worker class(although you would have to think that giving them $4000000 would speed things along but it doesn't appear to).
The CIC website will explain the various Visas and Permits which allow you to work/visit in Canada but irrespective of them I believe you will have to apply to London(or other country of residence) for PR
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/business/index.html
Good luck
Stuarty
Old Jul 18th 2006, 10:21 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Questions about immigrating to Canada

Business class under federal program is not any faster nowadays than federal skilled workers class, often it is even slower in some visa posts.

The fastest way to get through immigration process now are Provincial Nominee Programs - but the problem with them is that number of available PNP selection certificates is so miniscule (less than 2% of annual immigration quota in all economic classes) that their annual allocation in skilled workers category is in most Provinces gone within first few months of each year as number of applicants with strictly required guaranteed employment in nominating Province always exceeds several times the annual quota of certificates.

Little bit different story is in the Investor category of PNP's where applicants with solid assets like yours have good chance to fit into annual quota almost all year round.

As for coming to Canada earlier - it all depends from many factors, including your nationality and country of residence, destination in Canada and category applied under as well as your intentions of pursuing business opportunities in Canada.

Please note that having assets alone will not qualify you for any business (entrepreneur or investor) category under any program. You will also need to have few years of qualifying business or high level management experience within past 5 years to have any chance to be considered under any business program.

But all of the above is just very general and without knowing more about your case it is impossible to tell you what in your specific circumstances would be the most prudent and fastest route to take.

You cannot make that determination on your own and for sure not on the basis of posts from others who went through their process and with good intentions may want to give you some advice. Each case is unique and what worked for one person, or even many, may not work at all for you.

You should contact experienced authorized immigration practitioner in Canada to at least have your case evaluated. Some practitioners (including myself) provide free evaluation of applicant's chances and options.

To contact me directly simply click on my name and select "Send email to...".

Originally Posted by asdasd12345