Flagpoling restrictions

Old May 7th 2018, 11:28 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flagpoling restrictions

"Canada clamps down on ‘flagpoling’ with immigration restrictions at some border crossings " https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2018/05/06/canada-clamps-down-on-flagpoling-with-immigration-restrictions-at-some-border-crossings.html

I've just read this in the Stat and thought I should share it here
Old May 7th 2018, 12:20 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flagpoling restrictions

Originally Posted by bats
"Canada clamps down on ‘flagpoling’ with immigration restrictions at some border crossings " https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...crossings.html

I've just read this in the Stat and thought I should share it here
Yes, it has been in effect since last year - they just added to it.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig.../#post12378721

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1, Here is what CBSA says

"
To alleviate pressure at land border crossings, the CBSA informally announced today that it will no longer be permitting flag-poling at certain high volume ports-of-entry in the Southern Ontario Region during peak periods (i.e. on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, or Mondays), effective immediately. The ports-of-entry affected by this initiative include:
– Queenston;
– Niagara Falls;
– Rainbow Bridge; and
– Fort Erie (Peace Bridge).
If a foreign national attempts to flag-pole at the above ports-of-entry between Friday and Monday, it is likely that their examination will be deferred and they will be directed to return to that port-of-entry on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday. "

Others not listed may turn you away as well and if it is busy on the Tue/Wed/Thur, you may also be turned away.
Old May 7th 2018, 2:10 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if it includes someone going to the USA for a day or an overnight stay?
Old May 7th 2018, 2:11 pm
limey party pooper

<div style="text-align:left;">I wonder if it includes someone going to the USA for a day or an overnight stay?</div>
Old May 7th 2018, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Ah the harmonious interaction between different Government Agencies carrying out legislation under one act. So flag poling comprises usually of a change in Immigration status be it from temporary resident to permanent resident or being issued with a new work permit as CBSA doesn't extend work permits. So all of this is covered under the Immigration & Refugee Protection Act and IRCC are the Agency who implements changes to the Act and how it is carried out. So a few years ago they had this bright idea to close all of their Inland CIC offices across Canada so no member of the public could have walk in service. You must make an appointment.
By doing this they then put extra work on CBSA at Ports Of Entry as they found it easier to get service at a POE for landings, new work permits and re-entering as visitors. It was poorly rolled out and many POE's were not ready for the extra work load.
So my advice is where possible make an appointment at an IRCC office rather than running the risk of being turned away of having very long waits at the POE's.
Old May 7th 2018, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I wonder if it includes someone going to the USA for a day or an overnight stay?
If you are going to be going to the USA for 1 hour or 5 days if you intend to come back and either do a landing or get a new work permit or change Immigration status in any other way then the answer is Yes.