To flagpole or not?

Old Mar 26th 2015, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

biggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the rough
Default To flagpole or not?

To cut to the chase.

My TWP runs out June 15th because that was the date of my British passport expiry.

My partner has a TWP until February 2016

I need to renew. I'm concerned if I go through CIC website that it might not get done before my current one expires, even though we are in PR process.

Should I just flagpole at Point Roberts or Peace Arch (we are in Vancouver)?
Anyone done this recently?

My MSP has been cut due to not having a significantly long enough TWP (over six months), so extra keen to get this sorted.

Any and all advice welcome.

Cheers

Last edited by biggayowl; Mar 26th 2015 at 12:49 am.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 2:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To flagpole or not?

Are you on the spousal open work permit? If so then you could flagpole providing you take a copy of the other work permit showing the 2016 expiry date and your new passport and explain that you were only given until 2015 as your old passport expired. Under the new rules don't be surprised if CBSA ask you to pay $155 for the new work permit and $100 for the new open work permit fee.
If you apply via CPC Vegreville you would be on Implied Status until they make a decision. CIC might look at it as an extension and only charge you the $155.
Im not sure what the CIC misinformation line at 1 888 242 2100 will say.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

biggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: To flagpole or not?

Thanks for the info, especially about the potential extra fee. Yes I'm on a spousal permit.

My main concern is getting the MSP back up and running. If CIC take 3 months or so (which they did on our last renewals) I may struggle to get accepted on MSP again. I'm not planning a trip to the doctor any time soon, but always good to have some cover.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Are you on the spousal open work permit? If so then you could flagpole providing you take a copy of the other work permit showing the 2016 expiry date and your new passport and explain that you were only given until 2015 as your old passport expired. Under the new rules don't be surprised if CBSA ask you to pay $155 for the new work permit and $100 for the new open work permit fee.
If you apply via CPC Vegreville you would be on Implied Status until they make a decision. CIC might look at it as an extension and only charge you the $155.
Im not sure what the CIC misinformation line at 1 888 242 2100 will say.