flag polling

Old Jun 27th 2008, 2:43 pm
Banned

sarah_uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default flag polling

Hi;

I'm new here, and I wanted to know when people talk about flag polling US/Canada, what does this mean?

Can someone provide me with a typical scenario please?

thanks
Old Jun 27th 2008, 2:56 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: flag polling

This refers to persons who are in Canada when they receive their PR visas and must exit and re-enter Canada for landing. There is a procedure worked out with US Border Service whereby they issue a document to someone seeking to "out and back" at the US border for landing. The document shows that they actually left Canada and so may be landed.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 2:58 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, Sarah, and welcome to the BE forum.

A trip around the flagpole means driving from a starting point in Canada to the Canada-USA border, turning around, and re-entering Canada so that you can have a visa issued and/or activated. This may be a permanent residence (PR) visa, a temporary work permit (TWP), or whatever.

It's the procedure you would go through if you flew to Canada, landed at an airport, and went through the immigration procedure there. However, if you're already in Canada as a visitor when you receive approval for a PR visa or TWP, you have to create an artificial situation in which you enter Canada in order to get the necessary stamps, etc.

I've never done it myself, but both Canadian and American border officials apparently are familiar with the procedure. I've seen reports here that the American officials even let you turn around without actually entering the USA (although you could enter the USA if you wanted to do so).

In all other respects, the same thing happens at the land border as would happen if you landed at an airport.
x
Old Jun 27th 2008, 3:02 pm
Banned

sarah_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Hello, Sarah, and welcome to the BE forum.

A trip around the flagpole means driving from a starting point in Canada to the Canada-USA border, turning around, and re-entering Canada so that you can have a visa issued and/or activated. This may be a permanent residence (PR) visa, a temporary work permit (TWP), or whatever.

It's the procedure you would go through if you flew to Canada, landed at an airport, and went through the immigration procedure there. However, if you're already in Canada as a visitor when you receive approval for a PR visa or TWP, you have to create an artificial situation in which you enter Canada in order to get the necessary stamps, etc.

I've never done it myself, but both Canadian and American border officials apparently are familiar with the procedure. I've seen reports here that the American officials even let you turn around without actually entering the USA (although you could enter the USA if you wanted to do so).

In all other respects, the same thing happens at the land border as would happen if you landed at an airport.
x
I see got ya!

thanks
Old Jun 27th 2008, 3:16 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

I have combined Jim's and my responses into a Wiki article.
x
Old Jun 27th 2008, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

drwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nice

Just as an additional note to this our experience at the Peace Arch was that US Immigration are familiar with the process and you do not officially have to enter the US. We actually got a white form that had the words "Flagpolling" written on it!
Old Jun 27th 2008, 5:28 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

In actuality you did enter the US because the border is at the Peace Arch, but you were not admitted officially.