Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Filing for husbands status from US?

Filing for husbands status from US?

Old Nov 19th 2004, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Susie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Filing for husbands status from US?

Hi... this is my first time to these boards (I usually read and post on the US immigration forum).

I am a Canadian citizen living in the U.S. with my husband (U.S. citizen) and daughter (11 mos - dual citizen).

I was wondering, if we wanted to move to Canada, obviously my daughter and I could just move, but my husband would need to file for immigration. From what I've read from the CIC website, it seems I would have to be living in Canada and file the sponsorship papers with an income to support us... but the problem is, we live off his income here in the US as I am a stay at home mom. Can we use his income since we have a daughter together? And is it possible to file from the US? I've read that it's ok if I can prove intent to move? But was does that mean?

Thanks!
Old Nov 19th 2004, 2:16 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Filing for husbands status from US?

Hi Susie

Originally Posted by Susie
Hi... this is my first time to these boards (I usually read and post on the US immigration forum).

I am a Canadian citizen living in the U.S. with my husband (U.S. citizen) and daughter (11 mos - dual citizen).

I was wondering, if we wanted to move to Canada, obviously my daughter and I could just move, but my husband would need to file for immigration. From what I've read from the CIC website, it seems I would have to be living in Canada and file the sponsorship papers with an income to support us... but the problem is, we live off his income here in the US as I am a stay at home mom. Can we use his income since we have a daughter together? And is it possible to file from the US? I've read that it's ok if I can prove intent to move? But was does that mean?

Thanks!
You can file an application from the US. You will have to include a statement that "once your spouse is issued a PR visa, you intend to accompany him to Canada." You should include what your plans are, where you intend to live. You don't have to meet the low income cutoff figure when you are applying for a spouse, although you have to submit the financial evaluation, even if you have 0 income.

PMM
Old Nov 19th 2004, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi Susie

You can file an application from the US. You will have to include a statement that "once your spouse is issued a PR visa, you intend to accompany him to Canada." You should include what your plans are, where you intend to live. You don't have to meet the low income cutoff figure when you are applying for a spouse, although you have to submit the financial evaluation, even if you have 0 income.

PMM
Thank you PMM... after posting I kept reading more and more posts and seem to have found some good info... looks like others are in very similar situations.... specifically post "Sponsoring Husband". It pretty much answered most of my questions. The only question left is how much does it typically cost? I've heard around $1500? Is this true?

Thanks for the reply!
Old Nov 19th 2004, 6:01 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Susie

Thank you PMM... after posting I kept reading more and more posts and seem to have found some good info... looks like others are in very similar situations.... specifically post "Sponsoring Husband". It pretty much answered most of my questions. The only question left is how much does it typically cost? I've heard around $1500? Is this true?

Thanks for the reply!
It appears that you may not have read the offical web site www.cic.gc.ca which can answer pretty well most questions.

Fees:

Application $450
RPRF $975
Medical Exam $250/400 you should check the costs with the DMPs in your area
FBI Cert $18US
X-Ray, Blood tests ?

PMM
Old Nov 20th 2004, 12:55 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you've just a green card, you'll likely lose this once you move back to Canada. Are you eligible for US citizenship? If so, you should consider naturalising before you leave the US.

Although this will carry an obligation to continue to file US tax returns once you're back in Canada, you keep for life (by taking US citizenship) the right to live in the US which may be very useful when you're older. EG you want to spend the winter in the US and not be bound by the visit restrictions on Canadians, or your daughter lives there in later life and you may want to join her.

Jeremy
Old Nov 21st 2004, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you've just a green card, you'll likely lose this once you move back to Canada. Are you eligible for US citizenship? If so, you should consider naturalising before you leave the US.

Although this will carry an obligation to continue to file US tax returns once you're back in Canada, you keep for life (by taking US citizenship) the right to live in the US which may be very useful when you're older. EG you want to spend the winter in the US and not be bound by the visit restrictions on Canadians, or your daughter lives there in later life and you may want to join her.

Jeremy
Thank you! I will look into that and naturalize in the U.S. before we move (if we do) to Canada.

Thanks again!