FBI fingerprinting Horrors!!

Old Jun 13th 2001, 3:50 pm
SB2001

I had to send my spouse’s finger prints three times to get a positive result.
First time, the prints came back because of bad prints. Second time I sent it, the
FBI never got it.. seems like it got lost in the mail. The third time, i send two
prints from a different police station via priority mail, and included a self
addressed return priority mail cover with postage with it. I got the results back
in a week.

My advice is, while sending finger prints to FBI, send at least two copies (the
police station will charge only fixed rate). Send it via certified or registered
mail, and add correct fee (18$). Call them one week after sending at 304 625 3878 to
find out if they have received it. The lady who picks up the phone is quite helpful.
She even asked me to send the third print directly to her, so she made sure it went
into the system.

Old Jun 15th 2001, 7:12 pm
Matthew Wells

I'd also advise being patient and plan ahead. Michigan state police fingerprints for
my wife took only a couple of weeks to get back, whereas the FBI ones took the full
eight weeks that they say it could take. Keep this in mind if you have a timetable to
work with.

Incidentally, the only place more difficult than the FBI to deal with is probably the
Ontario Ministry of Transport. But that's another story...

Matt