Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

fast track/expedite PR/SW application

fast track/expedite PR/SW application

Old Jun 23rd 2008, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fast track/expedite PR/SW application

BUNAC is an open WP for just 1 year

If the employer wants to employ you after that he/she needs to get an LMO and then can offer you a regular WP which will support your PR application.

In order to get the LMO approval the job needs to be one that is a skill shortage and despite having been advertised nationally, cannot be filled by a Canadian.

In reality, many of the jobs taken by BUNAC'ers are low paid unskilled work. This is of course not always the case and there have been exceptions. You do have to work hard however to get an employer to offer you a long term skilled post when as far as he is concerned you will probably leave after a year.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 2:54 pm
Banned

bubbe2005 has a brilliant futurebubbe2005 has a brilliant futurebubbe2005 has a brilliant futurebubbe2005 has a brilliant futurebubbe2005 has a brilliant futurebubbe2005 has a brilliant futurebubbe2005 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
BUNAC is an open WP for just 1 year

If the employer wants to employ you after that he/she needs to get an LMO and then can offer you a regular WP which will support your PR application.

In order to get the LMO approval the job needs to be one that is a skill shortage and despite having been advertised nationally, cannot be filled by a Canadian.

In reality, many of the jobs taken by BUNAC'ers are low paid unskilled work. This is of course not always the case and there have been exceptions. You do have to work hard however to get an employer to offer you a long term skilled post when as far as he is concerned you will probably leave after a year.
Isn't it possible that a person can work via BUNAC and apply for PR/SW and get PR BEFORE BUNAC 1 year temp work expires? OR IF that person switches to visitor status and then get the PR???

Are you tell me IF thats IF I dont get PR BEFORe BUNAC expires, I will have to get the employer to apply for LMO and if that is successful I can then apply for aTWP if the employer wants me to stay on until I get PR?
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bubbe2005
Isn't it possible that a person can work via BUNAC and apply for PR/SW and get PR BEFORE BUNAC 1 year temp work expires? OR IF that person switches to visitor status and then get the PR???

Are you tell me IF thats IF I dont get PR BEFORe BUNAC expires, I will have to get the employer to apply for LMO and if that is successful I can then apply for aTWP if the employer wants me to stay on until I get PR?
You employer needs to be offering you permanent employment for your PR to be fast tracked.

The chances of you going over on BUNAC, getting a job, proving yourself so that the employer offers you a permanent post and getting PR all in one year a very slim.

If you are lucky enough to be in a province that has PNP and are in a job that meets the criteria for this you may get what you want.

If you have a skill that is in the areas in demand AND can secure permanent employment AND you want to settle permanently the question needs to be asked as to whether you really need to go on BUNAC at all. Would you not be better just getting a job offer and going on a regular WP which will give you a longer work period and more time to get PR.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 3:14 pm
Banned

bubbe2005 has a brilliant futurebubbe2005 has a brilliant futurebubbe2005 has a brilliant futurebubbe2005 has a brilliant futurebubbe2005 has a brilliant futurebubbe2005 has a brilliant futurebubbe2005 has a brilliant future

You employer needs to be offering you permanent employment for your PR to be fast tracked.

The chances of you going over on BUNAC, getting a job, proving yourself so that the employer offers you a permanent post and getting PR all in one year a very slim.

If you are lucky enough to be in a province that has PNP and are in a job that meets the criteria for this you may get what you want.

If you have a skill that is in the areas in demand AND can secure permanent employment AND you want to settle permanently the question needs to be asked as to whether you really need to go on BUNAC at all. Would you not be better just getting a job offer and going on a regular WP which will give you a longer work period and more time to get PR.
So an employer CANNOT offer someone a PERMANENT employment if he/she is on a BUNAC work visa?
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 3:16 pm
Banned

So an employer CANNOT offer someone a PERMANENT employment if he/she is on a BUNAC work visa?
I have tried applying for jobs, but I get the impression many employers would rather avoid PAPERS involved for hiring foreign workers.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 3:19 pm
Banned

there are many IT workers like me who want to immigrate to the u.s canada, getting an employer to sponsor you or to support your permanent resident visa however is also very slim, I have tried for years.

My only option left for me I guess IF I DONT GET PR WITHIN THE BUNAC YEAR is to get the employer apply for LMO HOPEFULLY God willing that will be accepted for me to apply or extend my work visa then HOPEFULLY I will get PR BEFORE the extension of the work visa expires.....is that in anyway possible?
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 3:35 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it possible that a person can work via BUNAC and apply for PR/SW and get PR BEFORE BUNAC 1 year temp work expires?
Yes, that is possible, and has been done in a few cases. However, not everyone succeeds in accomplishing this in the tight timeframe that's available. It depends on a permanent job offer from the employer, and it's not every employer who will feel that he knows a temporary employee well enough to offer him a permanent job after, say, three months.

OR IF that person switches to visitor status and then get the PR???
This will be fraught with difficulty. When you're a visitor, you're not allowed to work in Canada. As your BUNAC visa approaches expiration, you must apply for authorization to extend your stay in Canada as a visitor.

CIC generally expedites PR applications of applicants who already are working in Canada on TWPs.

If you're not working (as would be the case if you were a visitor) and an employer wants to offer you a job, the employer would have to apply for an Arranged Employment Opinion (AEO). The immigration experts on the forum have told us that PR applications that are backed up by AEOs are scrutinized much more closely. Investigations are made to ensure that the job offer is genuine (not a favour for a relative or friend and not the result of a bribe).

Yes.
x
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 3:36 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

My only option left for me I guess IF I DONT GET PR WITHIN THE BUNAC YEAR is to get the employer apply for LMO HOPEFULLY God willing that will be accepted for me to apply or extend my work visa then HOPEFULLY I will get PR BEFORE the extension of the work visa expires.....is that in anyway possible?
Yes.
x
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 3:47 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems everyone forgets that in order to claim arranged employment (and benefit PR case) one must be working in Canada on valid work permit in skilled occupation.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 3:55 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Yes.
x
got that, thanks Judy!
ok so to some it up, my assumptions are:

Go to Canada and work via BUNAC route
apply for S/W PR
IF PR is not granted within the BUNAC year
Get employer to apply for LMO
IF LMO is successful
Apply for TWP
IF TWP is granted, continue to work and WAIT for PR
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 4:01 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Seems everyone forgets that in order to claim arranged employment (and benefit PR case) one must be working in Canada on valid work permit in skilled occupation.
Isn't IT a skilled occupation andrew? e.g network engineer?
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have tried applying for jobs, but I get the impression many employers would rather avoid PAPERS involved for hiring foreign workers.
You are not alone in finding this. The way that you apply for the job can give you a foot in the door.

Simple things like making personal contact not just sending a resume can help.

Read the WIKI pages for helpful advice then start another thread to ask for advice from people who have succeeded in securing employment in your field they may be able to offer further advice.

You need to help others help you by giving some background information into you qualifications and work experience.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 4:25 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

got that, thanks Judy!
ok so to some it up, my assumptions are:

Go to Canada and work via BUNAC route
apply for S/W PR
IF PR is not granted within the BUNAC year
Get employer to apply for LMO
IF LMO is successful
Apply for TWP
IF TWP is granted, continue to work and WAIT for PR
No - that is still not enough. You probably think everyone is being harsh, but you're not listening...

I'm going to spell it out for you - READ carefully.

1. This is an option you may consider for getting PR in Canada, this is not a route into the USA. (Is your boyfriend moving to Canada as well?)
2. BUNAC is for those wishing to work temporarily in Canada
3. Apply to BUNAC, move to Canada and find skilled work
4. Do not hang around waiting, immediately get employer to apply for LMO
5. Once successful get your employer to offer you a permanent job
6. Then apply for PR with arranged employment and hope your application is fast tracked

Note: you still need a LMO and permanent job offer in a Skilled occupation, plus you need to meet all other requirements of SW program...

BUNAC just gives you the advantage of being able to get temp employment and convince a company to do the paperwork necessary to keep you. It also gives you the opportunity to live and work in Canada and help decide if you want to live here permanently.

There are other options, PNP is one of them, but the requirements are similar. Also note that the whole system is changing right now, the above route may not work next year. Plus BUNAC seems to be coming under more scrutiny, last year age limit was dropped to 30 (from 35), and restrictions put on those who would qualify for spousal sponsorship. More changes might be in place for 2009 - who knows?
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 5:09 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Rob_999
No - that is still not enough. You probably think everyone is being harsh, but you're not listening...

1. This is an option you may consider for getting PR in Canada, this is not a route into the USA. (Is your boyfriend moving to Canada as well?)
6. Then apply for PR with arranged employment and hope your application is fast tracked

Note: you still need a LMO and permanent job offer in a Skilled occupation, plus you need to meet all other requirements of SW program...

BUNAC just gives you the advantage of being able to get temp employment and convince a company to do the paperwork necessary to keep you. It also gives you the opportunity to live and work in Canada and help decide if you want to live here permanently.

There are other options, PNP is one of them, but the requirements are similar. Also note that the whole system is changing right now, the above route may not work next year. Plus BUNAC seems to be coming under more scrutiny, last year age limit was dropped to 30 (from 35), and restrictions put on those who would qualify for spousal sponsorship. More changes might be in place for 2009 - who knows?
yep got that, i was thinking i go there via BUNAC I am under 30 years of age, and I work in IT, my boyfriend has nothing to do with this plan.
so you are saying IF I am offered a job temp or perm have them apply for LMO and then apply for work permit that way I am still in Canada whilst waiting for fast track S/W PR?
I am not immigrating to u.s because its too hard for me, I've tried with no success.
BEFORE BUNAC opens this year for Feb 2009 I will look for jobs in Toronto.
I read in some threads that some who are IT developers are exempt from having their employer apply for LMO.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 5:17 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Rob_999

BUNAC WHV: Apr 2005 - Apr 2006
Applied SW: Jan 2006 (London) / AOR Feb 2006
Temp WP: Jun 2006 - Dec 2008 (LMO) / Sent update to CIC (perm job offer): Dec 2006
Meds: 28th Feb 2007 / PPR: 3rd Apr 2007 / Visa: 7th May 2007 / Landed: 12th May 2007

Rob would you mind me asking why you applied for SW 8 months into the WHV?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.