Fact Finding Mission...

Old Nov 21st 2004, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

grioghair is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fact Finding Mission...

I am a legal resident of the USA (formerly of Britain) - my wife is a US citizen. We are considering either going to Canada to live and work, or becoming legal residents there.

What procedure do we follow in such a case? Does either one of us have to have employment before we arrive, and get sponsorship through our employment - as I have heard that you cannot apply for work permits outside of Canada. We do have another option, I have second cousins living in the Calgary area - although we are not considering moving to that part of Canada - so maybe we could get family sponsorship if it becomes necessary. (I am not sure about the possibility of cousins becoming sponsors, though - I have not seen that written anywhere.)

Also, if we decide on permanent residency in Canada, is there a residency requirement while the papaers are being processed?

Thanks,

Steve
Old Nov 21st 2004, 4:08 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fact Finding Mission...

Originally Posted by grioghair
I am a legal resident of the USA (formerly of Britain) - my wife is a US citizen. We are considering either going to Canada to live and work, or becoming legal residents there.

What procedure do we follow in such a case? Does either one of us have to have employment before we arrive, and get sponsorship through our employment - as I have heard that you cannot apply for work permits outside of Canada. We do have another option, I have second cousins living in the Calgary area - although we are not considering moving to that part of Canada - so maybe we could get family sponsorship if it becomes necessary. (I am not sure about the possibility of cousins becoming sponsors, though - I have not seen that written anywhere.)

Also, if we decide on permanent residency in Canada, is there a residency requirement while the papaers are being processed?

Thanks,

Steve

Two points:

1. Start at http://www.cic.gc.ca to find out about Canadian immigration. Cousins can't sponsor so you'll have to qualify independently.

2. Have you thought about what will happen to your green card when you leave the US to live elsewhere? You'll likely lose it.

You can protect your position in the US by taking US citizenship - this means you will have to file for US tax when living in Canada (although you may not have to pay anything) but will keep your rights to go back to the US anytime you like. There is no problem with dual citizenship if you're from the UK (or even triple if you later become Canadian). As long as you've a clear criminal record, you should consider applying for US citizenship if you meet the residence requirements. Start at http://www.cis.gov or ask on the US immigration forum.

Jeremy