Extending a visa, please help!!!

Old Sep 19th 2001, 9:16 am
Pete

Hello, everyone

I have a couple of questions regarding the extension of a visitors visa.

This is my situation, I'm a Canadian citizen an I am planning on getting married to
my girlfriend once she gets to Canada.(from Europe) As I understand I will first have
to obtain a marriage licence (in Ontario) and then get married within 3 months.

Relating to that, my girlfriend will apply for a visa soon, the only problem is who
should send a invitation letter to attach to the visa application and for how long
should the invitation be. It seem so me that it would be kind of suspicious if say
my dad sent the invitation, and a few months later she'll marry a person with the
same last name
(me). What is the best way of doing this. I heard that it is best not to issue the
invitation for longer then 2 months, but then that leaves us no time in Canada to
get married and send everything out.

Now this relates to my first question. If she is only allowed to stay in Canada for
say the length of the invitation (2 months), and the marriage certificate takes up to
90 days to obtain, plus another 90 days to get the AIP I don't see how any of this is
feasible. Worse case scenario she needs 6 months to obtain the AIP. Unless she can
apply for a visa extension based on the fact that she got married. (what exactly is
needed to apply for a visa extension, is the fact that she got married enough to
extend her visa or will she need the AIP for that)

Sorry about all the babbling but I'm really confused.

Thanks in advance