Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Extending TWP or applying for PR now?

Extending TWP or applying for PR now?

Old Aug 6th 2010, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

juels275 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Extending TWP or applying for PR now?

hi

My bf & I came here in February on a 1 yr TWP, his is closed, mine is c'law open. For whatever reason, immigration only gave us 8 months, which is due to run out at beginning of October.

We are due to go to Ohio for a long weekend in September, so were going to get the extension to the TWP until February then.

In May, his company asked if we wanted to extend for another year. They are in the process of doing this, but have said the contract will say until September 2011. They are willing to extend again once this is due so that we can apply for PR once we have been here 2 years.

My 2 questions are:

should we wait until we have been here for 2 years before applying for PR?

Should we apply for the extension to TWP online or at the border after our roadtrip to Ohio - his company have advised using the peace bridge, Buffalo.

Old Aug 6th 2010, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all
Default Re: Extending TWP or applying for PR now?

Originally Posted by juels275
should we wait until we have been here for 2 years before applying for PR?
If you qualify for PR application now, you would want to do that as soon as you can. Rules are changing and getting stricter. Who knows what the rules will be by the time you have done your two years.

Of course, if you don't qualify for PR application, than you can't apply.

Ray