Language test

Old Jul 30th 2010, 5:25 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Language test

I know this is very early days to ask this, but has anyone who is a native English speaker applying under the new rules (i.e. since the June changes) actually done their language test yet?
If so, I would like to hear how it went.
If you are booked to take it in September,(OH sits his his next week) we will gladly pass on some practice materials to anyone who wants them.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Language test

If it's anything like the level of French tested in the TEF I was studying for, then it'll be a walk in the park for a native English speaker.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

It is an easy test. However, for a native speaker, this is not so much about the language, rather more about the test taking ability. I would recommend studying for it from that perspective. For example, read the questions first, before reading or listening to the section the questions are for.

Ray
Old Jul 30th 2010, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Mine is tomorrow! I'll let you know how it goes.

Wish me luck
Old Jul 31st 2010, 8:58 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy

Wish me luck
Good Luck, matey
Give us the lowdown when you are done!
Old Aug 6th 2010, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by helcat12
I know this is very early days to ask this, but has anyone who is a native English speaker applying under the new rules (i.e. since the June changes) actually done their language test yet?
If so, I would like to hear how it went.
If you are booked to take it in September,(OH sits his his next week) we will gladly pass on some practice materials to anyone who wants them.
Hi. My wife took her IELTS test yesterday, we are both naive English. She floundered a bit on the speaking because she gets nervous at tests quite easily, and also had a cross out a few mistakes on her writing since she is mildly dislexic, but she said the reading and listening tests were a breeze.

We have no idea what the scores will be until the results come through in 2 weeks but we think probably 7.5/8 for the reading and listening and 6+ for the speaking/writing. We don't need the points per say because even with 2 high and 2 moderate (we're hoping for 4 high) we have 76 points, way higher than the 67 minimum. But obviously if for any reason she gets less than 5.5 in anything it looks bad!

She's probably being a bigger critic of herself though, so will let you know once we get the results through.

She did some practice tests online for the reading and listening I think, which helped since they she had an idea of what to expect.

For the speaking she had to talk for 2 minutes about a childhood hobby, she talked about reading books but kinda was struggling to think of things to say

Hope this helps,
Wayne.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 2:36 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by Waggle
Hi. My wife took her IELTS test yesterday, we are both naive English. She floundered a bit on the speaking because she gets nervous at tests quite easily, and also had a cross out a few mistakes on her writing since she is mildly dislexic, but she said the reading and listening tests were a breeze.

We have no idea what the scores will be until the results come through in 2 weeks but we think probably 7.5/8 for the reading and listening and 6+ for the speaking/writing. We don't need the points per say because even with 2 high and 2 moderate (we're hoping for 4 high) we have 76 points, way higher than the 67 minimum. But obviously if for any reason she gets less than 5.5 in anything it looks bad!

She's probably being a bigger critic of herself though, so will let you know once we get the results through.

She did some practice tests online for the reading and listening I think, which helped since they she had an idea of what to expect.

For the speaking she had to talk for 2 minutes about a childhood hobby, she talked about reading books but kinda was struggling to think of things to say

Hope this helps,
Wayne.
OH did his Language test yesterday, too. Also native English speaker. There were several people there who I witnessed struggling to follow the instructions from the staff at the registration desk, so Heaven knows how they fared in the actual test
It certainly made my OH happier that he had tried the practice test before taking the real thing, though - the listening test goes very fast and sometimes the information is crowded together, so while you are recording one answer you might miss the next. Also, they are very mean about the marking - if you write more words for your answer than they stipulate, they will mark it wrong.
e.g. If the answer they state is 'headphones' and the answer you give from the listening scenario you have heard is 'a pair of headphones for the hard of hearing', this will be marked wrong, even though it is clear that you have understood and recorded the answer that you heard correctly, you have just recorded it more fully than they require.
Things like this are to do with exam technique, not your language ability but can have a significant impact on your score, so it is worth running through a practice test.
I have already offered this before, but if anyone wants our practice materials then just PM or email me and you can have them.
Results same time as you, Waggle. We can compare partners
Old Aug 6th 2010, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Waggles wife is an unknown quantity at this point

hello

I am waggles wife .
Where did your OH do his test? I went to Cambrigde and had an hour of watching people, who had come to the wrong test venue being sent to different places.

I followed all the test instructions so I am hoping to get good marks back in 13 days. I am a bit of a selfcritic so hopefully I was harder on myself than the examiners will be.

My top tip for anyone still to do the test is to read the questions and the test instructions carefully.

Waggles wife
Old Aug 6th 2010, 3:19 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by Waggles wife
hello

I am waggles wife .
Where did your OH do his test? I went to Cambrigde and had an hour of watching people, who had come to the wrong test venue being sent to different places.

I followed all the test instructions so I am hoping to get good marks back in 13 days. I am a bit of a selfcritic so hopefully I was harder on myself than the examiners will be.

My top tip for anyone still to do the test is to read the questions and the test instructions carefully.

Waggles wife
Aberystwyth - stupidly far away!.
However, we did have a lovely one night stay in a beautiful cottage B&B nearby and I had a fabulously relaxing day dolphin watching, eating my sandwiches on the coastal path and having an extremely good sticky toffee ice cream in the sunshine at Cardigan Bay while OH slaved over the test.

My top tip is to get the test booked SOON! The dates for the General Test are not as frequent as the Academic one - they don't even run every week and the next date showing at some venues in the UK is October or even November. My prediction is that once new applicants really start getting the message about this test being mandatory, the dates are going to be booking well into next year. Most people at our test (about 30 candidates in total, I'd estimate) clearly had English as their second language, but when you think about the numbers applying for immigration to Canada who are native English speakers and that they will all have to sit this test, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that it is going to get very crowded very quickly.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Hi helcat12, ok well as soon as we get the results we will post them here and let you know!

Whereabouts did your partner take his test? My wife had to drive down to Cambridge yesterday to take hers.

I think we have to wait 13 days for the result to be posted, then +postal days.

We're hoping we get them for Saturday 21st August then we can post our application on the Saturday morning and go and relax for 4 days at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival (we're due to get the train there at 11am that morning).

Wayne.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi sorry didn't see my wife was replying also, crossed posts!

Wayne.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 4:09 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by Waggle
Hi helcat12, ok well as soon as we get the results we will post them here and let you know!

Whereabouts did your partner take his test? My wife had to drive down to Cambridge yesterday to take hers.

I think we have to wait 13 days for the result to be posted, then +postal days.

We're hoping we get them for Saturday 21st August then we can post our application on the Saturday morning and go and relax for 4 days at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival (we're due to get the train there at 11am that morning).

Wayne.
We should both get our results by then. My OH is flying out to Canada on 22nd and I have been busting my ass (as they say in the movies) to get all the paperwork for our PR ready for him to take with him. All he needs then is a copy of his TWP and a letter from his employer about retaining him indefinitely as long as he gets PR (both of which he will get when he arrives) and he has everything for the application to be posted. He will get it posted in the first week he is there.
I'm not planning on being left here to cat and house-sit for any longer than is necessary!
PM or e-mail me when you get the results and we'll compare notes!
Old Aug 6th 2010, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck
lol
Stef
Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy

Wish me luck
Old Aug 6th 2010, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Oops I forgot about this thread! Yes I did the test and posted my experience here. It wasn't that bad but it certainly wasn't super easy.