Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

extended holiday - what are the rules?

extended holiday - what are the rules?

Old Mar 24th 2005, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

mich1s is an unknown quantity at this point
Question extended holiday - what are the rules?

hey there - this is my first post on here - so this might sound a big ignorant and i apologise if the info is actually already on this site somewhere, i have looked - but with no luck.

if anyone could help, my specific question is this. i've been here for a year on a BUNAC 1 year non-extendable work visa. i actually didn't get it for the purposes of working, rather to come and spend time visiting friends and just exploring and getting some inspiration ( i'm a self-employed writer ). i've not worked here or earned anything from canada, and have only spent money here. my visa is due to run out at the end of this money which is imminent. since i'm kind of in a "taking time out" stage of my life at the moment, i'm enjoying just spending time holidaying here in canada. am i allowed to continue this? what are the realities as far as going back to england and then coming back to canada for another 6 months and then repeating that if i still wanted to stay. i do realise that due to the length of time - you could technically consider it that i'm living here. yet, i'm not earning a penny from this country and just spending on back royalties. obviously once it gets low enough - i'll have to go back to england and work things out there. but while i'm here not working and just holiday, am i technically allowed to continue this? what problems COULD there be? is there something i would have to prove? is there an actual limit as to how long you can holiday in a country before they say you've had your fill? i say this only because right now - i'm just enjoying spending time with fellow artist friends of mine and just travelling, and meeting new people and for the time being - i'd like to continue exploring this country.

if i realistically wanted to live here, is this something i would have to set in motion while NOT present in this country? i.e. would i have to be resident back in the UK for the entire duration of the application process and not be allowed to come over for a holiday until i've been given an answer?

i apologise for the lengthy thread, i have searched on google and the CIC website and am just finding clear information hard to come by.

just to clarify again - i'm supporting myself completely for the time that i'm here and am not earning a penny from canada at all and would like to continue holidaying as long as my funds will allow me to.

any help with this specific situation would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks,

michael
Old Mar 24th 2005, 5:20 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: extended holiday - what are the rules?

Hi

Originally Posted by mich1s
hey there - this is my first post on here - so this might sound a big ignorant and i apologise if the info is actually already on this site somewhere, i have looked - but with no luck.

if anyone could help, my specific question is this. i've been here for a year on a BUNAC 1 year non-extendable work visa. i actually didn't get it for the purposes of working, rather to come and spend time visiting friends and just exploring and getting some inspiration ( i'm a self-employed writer ). i've not worked here or earned anything from canada, and have only spent money here. my visa is due to run out at the end of this money which is imminent. since i'm kind of in a "taking time out" stage of my life at the moment, i'm enjoying just spending time holidaying here in canada. am i allowed to continue this? what are the realities as far as going back to england and then coming back to canada for another 6 months and then repeating that if i still wanted to stay. i do realise that due to the length of time - you could technically consider it that i'm living here. yet, i'm not earning a penny from this country and just spending on back royalties. obviously once it gets low enough - i'll have to go back to england and work things out there. but while i'm here not working and just holiday, am i technically allowed to continue this? what problems COULD there be? is there something i would have to prove? is there an actual limit as to how long you can holiday in a country before they say you've had your fill? i say this only because right now - i'm just enjoying spending time with fellow artist friends of mine and just travelling, and meeting new people and for the time being - i'd like to continue exploring this country.

if i realistically wanted to live here, is this something i would have to set in motion while NOT present in this country? i.e. would i have to be resident back in the UK for the entire duration of the application process and not be allowed to come over for a holiday until i've been given an answer?

i apologise for the lengthy thread, i have searched on google and the CIC website and am just finding clear information hard to come by.

just to clarify again - i'm supporting myself completely for the time that i'm here and am not earning a penny from canada at all and would like to continue holidaying as long as my funds will allow me to.

any help with this specific situation would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks,

michael
Well you can apply to Vegreville for an extension as a visitor. There is a reasonable chance that you will be given 6 months as a visitor, no guarantee, mind you should have applied at least 30 days prior to your work permit expiry. Its odd that in your search, you didn't look at www.cic.gc.ca where all the info that you require resides.

If you get the extension, Immigration might be reluctant to give you any further extensions as you will have been in Canada for 18 months at that time. If you return to the UK and then attempt to re-enter immediately, be prepared for a grilling as to your intentions.

PMM
Old Mar 24th 2005, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

mich1s is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: extended holiday - what are the rules?

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Well you can apply to Vegreville for an extension as a visitor. There is a reasonable chance that you will be given 6 months as a visitor, no guarantee, mind you should have applied at least 30 days prior to your work permit expiry. Its odd that in your search, you didn't look at www.cic.gc.ca where all the info that you require resides.

If you get the extension, Immigration might be reluctant to give you any further extensions as you will have been in Canada for 18 months at that time. If you return to the UK and then attempt to re-enter immediately, be prepared for a grilling as to your intentions.

PMM
so i guess the general rule is that - even as a holidaymaker -i can't really come and go as i please? for example. i was planning on going to london for a couple of weeks in april to see friends, then coming back to canada for a bit, then end of may i was planning on going to switzerland to see my grandparents for a couple of weeks, then i was planning on spending some more time over here. i don't mind the grilling since there is nothing sinister to uncover. but you're saying that even taking all this into account, i could still be refused entry just like that for no other reason than they just think i've had my fill?

thanks for replying btw

michael