Express entry profile question

Old Dec 4th 2022, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Fedupscotsman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Express entry profile question

Have a few questions about how the system works.

the good lady and I are strongly considering trying to make the move to Canada in the next 12-18 months. Still to consider what our options are in terms of visas and what would be best for us to do.

my main question is if we make an express entry profile as a joint couple just now would it give us a score and and an idea if we’d need job offers or provincial nominations.

would it also mean that we’d be expected to make the move (if accepted) within a set timeframe?

will it have any negative impact on our chances of being granted visas, through EE or otherwise?

sorry if I seem vague but still trying to get my head around the system and don’t want to do anything to hinder our chances so want to double check.
Old Dec 4th 2022, 3:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Express entry profile question

Yes, if you set up an EE profile (one of you would be the 'principal applicant' and the other a 'dependent') then it would give you your score. But to set up a profile you'll need to do the IELTS exam and get an ECA, which will cost approx £400 (or more if you both get them done), so there's little point in doing that and spending the money if you're not scoring enough anyway. A speculative profile could be a complete waste of money, do check your scores first and only then get the IELTS and ECA if you are scoring enough to get PR.

If you are scoring enough and invited to apply for PR, you then have a deadline to submit a full PR application, once you get PR you then have a year from the date of your medical to 'land' and activate PR. Then once you've got PR, you have to spend 2 years out of every 5 in Canada to maintain your PR status - so in effect you'd have a further 3 years to move before you'd be risking that.

Not sure what you're referring to when you say 'would it have any negative impact on our chances'….would what have any negative impact?
Old Dec 4th 2022, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yes, if you set up an EE profile (one of you would be the 'principal applicant' and the other a 'dependent') then it would give you your score. But to set up a profile you'll need to do the IELTS exam and get an ECA, which will cost approx £400 (or more if you both get them done), so there's little point in doing that and spending the money if you're not scoring enough anyway. A speculative profile could be a complete waste of money, do check your scores first and only then get the IELTS and ECA if you are scoring enough to get PR.

If you are scoring enough and invited to apply for PR, you then have a deadline to submit a full PR application, once you get PR you then have a year from the date of your medical to 'land' and activate PR. Then once you've got PR, you have to spend 2 years out of every 5 in Canada to maintain your PR status - so in effect you'd have a further 3 years to move before you'd be risking that.

Not sure what you're referring to when you say 'would it have any negative impact on our chances'….would what have any negative impact?
ok thanks for replying. Filled out a form without giving names etc which then said we were eligible for EE and told us to then go and make an application. Didn’t want to start the ball rolling just now if there was a deadline etc as it’d be probably 18 months before we made the move and my mrs is still undecided on the idea. Just wanted to see if express entry was a goer and if that’s what we should focus our investigating and attention on.

looked at the IELTS tests today. Do you have any idea how long the results are valid for after taking the test? Just gathering as much information as we can so we can make informed decisions and hopefully set a timeline for coming over if all goes well.

not sure how it’d negatively impact but for instance if we didn’t score enough for EE would it stop us applying for different visas/entry routes. Just worrying and overthinking that’s all.
Old Dec 5th 2022, 8:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fedupscotsman
ok thanks for replying. Filled out a form without giving names etc which then said we were eligible for EE and told us to then go and make an application. Didn’t want to start the ball rolling just now if there was a deadline etc as it’d be probably 18 months before we made the move and my mrs is still undecided on the idea. Just wanted to see if express entry was a goer and if that’s what we should focus our investigating and attention on.
18 months is no problem, it would probably take that long anyway to get PR. And then as above you'd have nearly 4 years from when you did get PR before you had to move, so plenty of time. But if your OH isn't sure, then you may not want to spend the money in case it's wasted. It's a difficult one as the whole EE system is changing next year so if you are eligible now (again, it all comes down to your scores) then you may want to apply now rather than risk becoming ineligible when the system changes (it's expected that priority will be given to high demand occupations from spring 2023, rather than just being done on points).

Your IELTS would be valid for 2 years. To maximise points, ideally you should both take it.

And no, if you didn't score enough it wouldn't impact any other visa application at all. All that would happen is that you'd sit in the EE 'pool' for a year, and then if you're not selected and invited to apply for PR by the end of that year your profile expires. But that's why you need to check your points scores very carefully, to see if you would be wasting time and money on just sitting in the pool and remaining unselected, or if you'd have a good chance. You can see all of the previous EE draws on this page, but essentially one of you would need above approx 470 as a rough guide to be in with a chance - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ry-rounds.html
Old Dec 5th 2022, 5:09 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

looked at the IELTS tests today. Do you have any idea how long the results are valid for after taking the test? Just gathering as much information as we can so we can make informed decisions and hopefully set a timeline for coming over if all goes well.

not sure how it’d negatively impact but for instance if we didn’t score enough for EE would it stop us applying for different visas/entry routes. Just worrying and overthinking that’s all.
Being eligible for EE is one thing, but you do understand it's a 2 stage process? Lots of people are eligible to apply for EE, it's the CRS score (is that the right letters?), that is all important. As Christmas says, you'll likely need to be scoring 470 or higher to be in with a chance.
Old Dec 5th 2022, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Being eligible for EE is one thing, but you do understand it's a 2 stage process? Lots of people are eligible to apply for EE, it's the CRS score (is that the right letters?), that is all important. As Christmas says, you'll likely need to be scoring 470 or higher to be in with a chance.
yeah I understand being eligible for EE isn’t the be all and end all.

Yes it is CRS, it’s looking likely we’d need a provincial nomination or a job offer to get over. Won’t give up though, going to do the IELTS in January after Christmas is out of the way, make a profile and then see what our options are.

thanks for the reply
Old Dec 6th 2022, 8:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

yeah I understand being eligible for EE isn’t the be all and end all.

Yes it is CRS, it’s looking likely we’d need a provincial nomination or a job offer to get over. Won’t give up though, going to do the IELTS in January after Christmas is out of the way, make a profile and then see what our options are.

thanks for the reply
The thing is, with PNP or a job offer, there are likely to be other visa options and you may not end up getting PR via EE anyway. And even if you do, you may not be applying for PR for a couple of years if you have to work in Canada for x amount of time first on a work permit. So I'd hold off on the IELTS until you have a job offer and then see whether you need it for your visa route. You'd be better off putting that money towards a job hunting trip if you do need a job offer from a sponsoring employer to get a visa.

HTH.
Old Dec 6th 2022, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

The thing is, with PNP or a job offer, there are likely to be other visa options and you may not end up getting PR via EE anyway. And even if you do, you may not be applying for PR for a couple of years if you have to work in Canada for x amount of time first on a work permit. So I'd hold off on the IELTS until you have a job offer and then see whether you need it for your visa route. You'd be better off putting that money towards a job hunting trip if you do need a job offer from a sponsoring employer to get a visa.

HTH.

i was under the impression you’d need these kind of scores for any visa? I mean our plan B would be to get a temporary visa or work permit and try to gain PR from that.

I can do estimates and calculators and stuff with assumed IELTS scores online but taking the tests and making an EE profile gives us a definitive answer. From there we’d know if it was worth trying for EE or if we’d need to look at other options. I think Alberta’s minimum for considering someone for a PNP is 300 CRS?
Old Dec 6th 2022, 9:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

i was under the impression you’d need these kind of scores for any visa? I mean our plan B would be to get a temporary visa or work permit and try to gain PR from that.
No, the CRS is only applicable to EE. There are many more visa routes that don't come under EE. That's why I've said the first step is to check points, then let us know what they are, as there will be other options if you don't score enough.

I can do estimates and calculators and stuff with assumed IELTS scores online but taking the tests and making an EE profile gives us a definitive answer.
It would, but you should be able to get an estimate close enough to your actual score. It may change by a few points depending on your IELTS results, but unless you're really borderline (470/480ish) then it won't make enough of a difference.

I think Alberta’s minimum for considering someone for a PNP is 300 CRS?
Yes, but it's more complex than that as it's not just done on points there. It's also done other factors - things like having relatives in AB, speaking French, or working in AB will mean you get picked with a lower score over those with a higher score. So you might have to try and get a job offer and be out there working first to be in with a chance, and there are other PNP streams that might be better. Alberta is one of the few provinces that has a semi-skilled stream that you could apply under, so then the points score is irrelevant, that may be a better way for you to get PR depending on various factors.

Obviously it's your call, but I wouldn't spend out for IELTS yet as it could be a complete waste of £400 or so. If you definitely need a job offer then I'd plan a trip out to Canada instead so that you can (a) job hunt; and (b) see what your OH thinks. IMO there's no point in spending that money if you can't get a job offer anyway, or your OH hates Canada and doesn't want to move, or you find another route to PR that doesn't require IELTS. You can always take IELTS at a later date if needed, there's usually only a couple of weeks wait for a test date.

HTH.

Old Dec 6th 2022, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

No, the CRS is only applicable to EE. There are many more visa routes that don't come under EE. That's why I've said the first step is to check points, then let us know what they are, as there will be other options if you don't score enough.

It would, but you should be able to get an estimate close enough to your actual score. It may change by a few points depending on your IELTS results, but unless you're really borderline (470/480ish) then it won't make enough of a difference.

Yes, but it's more complex than that as it's not just done on points there. It's also done other factors - things like having relatives in AB, speaking French, or working in AB will mean you get picked with a lower score over those with a higher score. So you might have to try and get a job offer and be out there working first to be in with a chance, and there are other PNP streams that might be better. Alberta is one of the few provinces that has a semi-skilled stream that you could apply under, so then the points score is irrelevant, that may be a better way for you to get PR depending on various factors.

Obviously it's your call, but I wouldn't spend out for IELTS yet as it could be a complete waste of £400 or so. If you definitely need a job offer then I'd plan a trip out to Canada instead so that you can (a) job hunt; and (b) see what your OH thinks. IMO there's no point in spending that money if you can't get a job offer anyway, or your OH hates Canada and doesn't want to move, or you find another route to PR that doesn't require IELTS. You can always take IELTS at a later date if needed, there's usually only a couple of weeks wait for a test date.

HTH.
right ok, think our best bets might be to get temporary visas for now get some skilled work experience in Canada then go from there. We’re planning a holiday or vacation out there anyway just in case as you say the OH may not like Canada, I doubt it but better safe than sorry.

can you point in the direction of temporary working visas? Had read about the Canadian Experience Class? I think that’s what it’s called.

thanks as always
Old Dec 6th 2022, 10:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

right ok, think our best bets might be to get temporary visas for now get some skilled work experience in Canada then go from there. We’re planning a holiday or vacation out there anyway just in case as you say the OH may not like Canada, I doubt it but better safe than sorry.

can you point in the direction of temporary working visas? Had read about the Canadian Experience Class? I think that’s what it’s called.

thanks as always
Canadian Experience Class is one of the 4 routes to PR under EE and it's for people who've worked in Canada for a year or more in a skilled job. So that's a potential route down the line, but not something you need to look at now.

If you need a temporary work permit, then you need a job offer from a sponsoring employer and something called a LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment). This is something your employer will have to apply for, and to get it they have to prove that they've advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian willing or able to do the job.

Once you've got the LMIA and written job offer you can then apply for a work permit.

The other option once you've got a job offer is the PNP for whichever province you're in. Most PNP streams allow you to get a work permit at the first stage, and it's a PR application too. So that's another option, and no LMIA is required for that, but it can be more onerous on the employer or tougher to qualify for depending on the province and stream. So really it will come down to whichever your potential employer would prefer to do.

So really you need to job hunt and then go from there. Have a good read of the Wiki, there's tons of info in there about job hunting in Canada. Both of you should do it, but bear in mind if you get a semi or low skilled job, not all provinces will allow you to get PR via their PNP (and EE wouldn't be an option either). So your OH may be better off getting the job offer if possible. You can also look to see where you should aim for, and which of you has the best chance by checking your NOC codes on Job Bank and seeing which province there is the most demand in (and therefore, which you're most likely to get a sponsoring employer/LMIA in). Here it is for Project Manager to get you started - https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/jobsearch/...manager&sid=30

HTH, good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 6th 2022 at 10:39 am.
Old Dec 6th 2022, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Canadian Experience Class is one of the 4 routes to PR under EE and it's for people who've worked in Canada for a year or more in a skilled job. So that's a potential route down the line, but not something you need to look at now.

If you need a temporary work permit, then you need a job offer from a sponsoring employer and something called a LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment). This is something your employer will have to apply for, and to get it they have to prove that they've advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian willing or able to do the job.

Once you've got the LMIA and written job offer you can then apply for a work permit.

The other option once you've got a job offer is the PNP for whichever province you're in. Most PNP streams allow you to get a work permit at the first stage, and it's a PR application too. So that's another option, and no LMIA is required for that, but it can be more onerous on the employer or tougher to qualify for depending on the province and stream. So really it will come down to whichever your potential employer would prefer to do.

So really you need to job hunt and then go from there. Have a good read of the Wiki, there's tons of info in there about job hunting in Canada. Both of you should do it, but bear in mind if you get a semi or low skilled job, not all provinces will allow you to get PR via their PNP (and EE wouldn't be an option either). So your OH may be better off getting the job offer if possible. You can also look to see where you should aim for, and which of you has the best chance by checking your NOC codes on Job Bank and seeing which province there is the most demand in (and therefore, which you're most likely to get a sponsoring employer/LMIA in). Here it is for Project Manager to get you started - https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/jobsearch/...manager&sid=30

HTH, good luck.
so how would it work if my other half got offered a job, or me for that matter. Assuming the employer has a pre approved LMIA does that mean we both would get granted a temporary work/residence permit? Then the other one of us could get a job when we were there?

had a good look at the job bank today. My OH is a project manager in telecoms but most of the jobs are for construction so maybe just a case of keeping an eye out for her, there’s a lot of jobs I’d be fine doing that had LMIAs and accepted applications from people without work permits.