Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Experts, Please help! Question about which RPC to apply for Canadian PR

Experts, Please help! Question about which RPC to apply for Canadian PR

Old Oct 11th 2001, 4:20 pm
Xavier

Hi,

I am a citizen of India currently in US on H1. I have a Bachelors Degree in
Geology and a 2 year non-university diploma in Information Management. I have
more than 7 years experience as a Programmer/Analyst of which more than 5 years
is in US. I am married and My wife have a Masters in Sociology from India. I am
able to calculate 73 points by my own assessment.

Here are my questions,

1. Do you think its a good idea to apply for Canadian PR to Buffalo, NY considering
the fact that my six year limit on my H1 expire in 1st week of June 2002.

2. If we recieve interview waiver, and Medical papers before I leave the country in
June , can I finish my medical here and do the rest of process from outside? Or
I have to start from beginning in another RPC? Is it okay to do Medical outside
the country?

3. If we get an interview scheduled, (which I am sure won't happen before June, 2002,
according to what I am reading in the news groups), how much viable is to transfer
the case to somewhere else (whereever I may reside at the time) without any
penalties and loosing much time.

4. Is it okay to send my application to NewDelhi, India considering the fact that I
am residing in US for the last sixyears. What are the pros and cons with regard to
the timeframes.

5. Do you think it would be a wise idea for me to mention my US status problem after
June 2002 even though I don't have to volunteer this information since they are
not asking for it.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Xavier

Any advice is welcome.

Old Oct 11th 2001, 4:58 pm
Andrew Miller

Read my answers under each question below:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

As you are a US resident for last 5 years the proper visa post to submit your
application is Buffalp.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

You may undergo medicals with the DMP anywhere in the world

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

If you request a file transfer then you will lose all the time - your case will start
almost from the scratch in the new visa post.

>
    >
    >
    >

As you reside in US then by sending application to New Delhi you'll be asking
for the interview. Your only chance (if applying while in US) for interview
waiver is Buffalo.

>
    >
    >
    >

Your status in US after June 2002 is irrelevant to your Canadian immigration
application.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

Old Oct 12th 2001, 2:22 am
Berto Volpentesta

You asked some questions:

You may want to have a free assessment offered by one of the fine firms = who post to
this group, such as ours, just to verify your calculation = and possibly point out
some areas of concern.

Buffalo would be an excellent place to lodge your application. However, = please
consider whether you would be able to attend an interview in the = event one is
necessary. The interview is likely to be about 12 to 16 = months after filing.

If you recieve a waiver, the entire thing can be complete in USA without = transfer.
However, you will need someone reliable to recover your mail.

Transfering a case will always result in a delay. The transfer itself = may be a low
priority for both posts. Your file will ultimately go into = the interview queue at
the new post. Other posts waiting times are = usually twice as long as in the USA.

Delhi is notoriously slow with cases. When interview is required it may = be 2-3
years before done. =20

You must answer all questions truthfully.

--=20 Good luck,

Berto Volpentesta, B.A. (Spec. Hons.), B.Ed. Member, OPIC Director, OPIC and
Education Committee Chairman

Sidhu & Volpentesta Inc. Serving people around the world since 1991

www.svcanada.com

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 12th 2001, 8:58 pm
Xavier

Thanks a lot. Xavier

"Andrew Miller" <[email protected]>
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Hi,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I am a citizen of India currently in US on H1. I have a Bachelors Degree in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Geology and a 2 year non-university diploma in Information Management. I have[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > more than 7 years experience as a Programmer/Analyst of which more than 5[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > years is in US. I am married and My wife have a Masters in Sociology from[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > India. I am able to calculate 73 points by my own assessment.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Here are my questions,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 1. Do you think its a good idea to apply for Canadian PR to Buffalo, NY[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > considering the fact that my six year limit on my H1 expire in 1st week of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > June 2002.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > 2. If we recieve interview waiver, and Medical papers before I leave the country[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > in June , can I finish my medical here and do the rest of process from[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > outside? Or I have to start from beginning in another RPC? Is it okay to do[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Medical outside the country?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > 3. If we get an interview scheduled, (which I am sure won't happen before June,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 2002, according to what I am reading in the news groups), how much viable is[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > to transfer the case to somewhere else (whereever I may reside at the time)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > without any penalties and loosing much time.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > 4. Is it okay to send my application to NewDelhi, India considering the fact that[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I am residing in US for the last sixyears. What are the pros and cons with[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > regard to the timeframes.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > 5. Do you think it would be a wise idea for me to mention my US status problem[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > after June 2002 even though I don't have to volunteer this information since[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > they are not asking for it.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 13th 2001, 11:26 am
Berto Volpentesta

I would disagree, a little bit, with Andrew's comments about status. =20

While technically, status may be irrelavent, I have heard of many cases = where this
is considered in the Personal Suitability aspect of the = assessment.

I suppose the logic is that if a person stays beyond the validity of = their visa,
ie. breaking the laws of the USA, they are not personally = suited to come to Canada.

I have found that this depends greatly on how much the visa officer is = predisposed
to refusing your case to begin with.

--=20 Good luck,

Berto Volpentesta, B.A. (Spec. Hons.), B.Ed. Member, OPIC Director, OPIC and
Education Committee Chairman

Sidhu & Volpentesta Inc. Serving people around the world since 1991

www.svcanada.com

"Xavier" <[email protected]>
[usenetquote2]> > Read my answers under each question below:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >=20[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > Hi,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > I am a citizen of India currently in US on H1. I have a =[/usenetquote2]
Bachelors
[usenetquote2]> > > Degree in Geology and a 2 year non-university diploma in =[/usenetquote2]
Information
[usenetquote2]> > > Management. I have more than 7 years experience as a Programmer/Analyst of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > which more than 5 years is in US. I am =[/usenetquote2]
married
[usenetquote2]> > > and My wife have a Masters in Sociology from India. I am able to calculate 73[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > points by my own assessment.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Here are my questions,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > 1. Do you think its a good idea to apply for Canadian PR to =[/usenetquote2]
Buffalo,
[usenetquote2]> > > NY considering the fact that my six year limit on my H1 expire in =[/usenetquote2]
1st
[usenetquote2]> > > week of June 2002.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > As you are a US resident for last 5 years the proper visa post to =[/usenetquote2]
submit your
[usenetquote2]> > application is Buffalp.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >=20 20[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > 2. If we recieve interview waiver, and Medical papers before I =[/usenetquote2]
leave
[usenetquote2]> > > the country in June , can I finish my medical here and do the rest =[/usenetquote2]
of
[usenetquote2]> > > process from outside? Or I have to start from beginning in another RPC? Is it[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > okay to do Medical outside the country?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > You may undergo medicals with the DMP anywhere in the world[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > 3. If we get an interview scheduled, (which I am sure won't =[/usenetquote2]
happen
[usenetquote2]> > > before June, 2002, according to what I am reading in the news =[/usenetquote2]
groups),
[usenetquote2]> > > how much viable is to transfer the case to somewhere else =[/usenetquote2]
(whereever I
[usenetquote2]> > > may reside at the time) without any penalties and loosing much =[/usenetquote2]
time.
[usenetquote2]> > If you request a file transfer then you will lose all the time - =[/usenetquote2]
your case will
[usenetquote2]> > start almost from the scratch in the new visa post.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > 4. Is it okay to send my application to NewDelhi, India =[/usenetquote2]
considering
[usenetquote2]> > > the fact that I am residing in US for the last sixyears. What are =[/usenetquote2]
the
[usenetquote2]> > > pros and cons with regard to the timeframes.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > As you reside in US then by sending application to New Delhi you'll =[/usenetquote2]
be asking
[usenetquote2]> > for the interview. Your only chance (if applying while in US) for =[/usenetquote2]
interview
[usenetquote2]> > waiver is Buffalo.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > 5. Do you think it would be a wise idea for me to mention my US =[/usenetquote2]
status
[usenetquote2]> > > problem after June 2002 even though I don't have to volunteer this information[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > since they are not asking for it.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Your status in US after June 2002 is irrelevant to your Canadian =[/usenetquote2]
immigration
[usenetquote2]> > application.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > ../..[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > [email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > sending email)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > ________________________________[/usenetquote2]

Old Oct 13th 2001, 2:09 pm
Andrew Miller

Berto,

Xavier has still a valid H1 visa until June 2002 and he wants to apply for Canadian
immigration visa now, so at this time when applying his future US status (8 months
down the road) is irrelevant. If you check my posts in the past you'll see that I
warned posters always that already expired US status may have negative impact on the
application, exactly as you described - but this one still has valid status and most
likely will still have it at the time when the application is approved at least in
principle.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

"Berto Volpentesta" <[email protected]>
[usenetquote2]> > Read my answers under each question below:[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > Hi,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > I am a citizen of India currently in US on H1. I have a Bachelors Degree in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Geology and a 2 year non-university diploma in Information Management. I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > have more than 7 years experience as a Programmer/Analyst of which more[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > than 5 years is in US. I am married and My wife have a Masters in Sociology[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > from India. I am able to calculate 73 points by my own assessment.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Here are my questions,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > 1. Do you think its a good idea to apply for Canadian PR to Buffalo, NY[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > considering the fact that my six year limit on my H1 expire in 1st week of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > June 2002.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > As you are a US resident for last 5 years the proper visa post to submit[/usenetquote2]
your
[usenetquote2]> > application is Buffalp.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > 2. If we recieve interview waiver, and Medical papers before I leave the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > country in June , can I finish my medical here and do the rest of process[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > from outside? Or I have to start from beginning in another RPC? Is it okay[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > to do Medical outside the country?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > You may undergo medicals with the DMP anywhere in the world[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > 3. If we get an interview scheduled, (which I am sure won't happen before June,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > 2002, according to what I am reading in the news groups), how much viable is[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > to transfer the case to somewhere else (whereever I may reside at the time)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > without any penalties and loosing much time.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > If you request a file transfer then you will lose all the time - your case[/usenetquote2]
will
[usenetquote2]> > start almost from the scratch in the new visa post.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > 4. Is it okay to send my application to NewDelhi, India considering the fact[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > that I am residing in US for the last sixyears. What are the pros and cons[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > with regard to the timeframes.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > As you reside in US then by sending application to New Delhi you'll be[/usenetquote2]
asking
[usenetquote2]> > for the interview. Your only chance (if applying while in US) for interview[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > waiver is Buffalo.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > 5. Do you think it would be a wise idea for me to mention my US status problem[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > after June 2002 even though I don't have to volunteer this information since[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > they are not asking for it.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Your status in US after June 2002 is irrelevant to your Canadian[/usenetquote2]
immigration
[usenetquote2]> > application.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > ../..[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > [email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > sending email)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > ________________________________[/usenetquote2]