Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Estranged father on Schedule A Background Declaration Form?

Estranged father on Schedule A Background Declaration Form?

Old Jun 7th 2020, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

g0ldfinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Estranged father on Schedule A Background Declaration Form?

Hello,

My wife is estranged from her father, and he passed away in the past few years. He is not listed on her birth certificate, and they've never met in person. I believe that she has spoken with him once over the phone.

On another forum, someone advised me to still list him, as she technically "knew" who he was, which would preclude checking "unknown" on the background form. I wanted to get a second opinion on that, as it seems a little much. Particularly, the background check form needs to be validated, and there are some fields that we genuinely cannot fill out (we don't really know his date of birth, or when he died. I believe that her mother might be able to get in touch with the family to get some of that information, but by all practical measures, my wife didn't really know him.)

What are your thoughts? Immigration is a particular process, and so I could certainly understand having to list him even if she never really knew him, but I thought his absence on her birth certificate would be defining enough for us to click "unknown."

Let me know. Thanks!
Old Jun 7th 2020, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Estranged father on Schedule A Background Declaration Form?

Originally Posted by g0ldfinger
Hello,

My wife is estranged from her father, and he passed away in the past few years. He is not listed on her birth certificate, and they've never met in person. I believe that she has spoken with him once over the phone.

On another forum, someone advised me to still list him, as she technically "knew" who he was, which would preclude checking "unknown" on the background form. I wanted to get a second opinion on that, as it seems a little much. Particularly, the background check form needs to be validated, and there are some fields that we genuinely cannot fill out (we don't really know his date of birth, or when he died. I believe that her mother might be able to get in touch with the family to get some of that information, but by all practical measures, my wife didn't really know him.)

What are your thoughts? Immigration is a particular process, and so I could certainly understand having to list him even if she never really knew him, but I thought his absence on her birth certificate would be defining enough for us to click "unknown."

Let me know. Thanks!
Rule No 1 - Always tell the whole truth!

My tuppence worth.

IF you enter what you do know about her father (and leave blank what you do not know), is there any form of validation that the form fails that will stop you printing and signing it with incomplete father information?

If Yes, then perhaps check 'unknown' BUT attach a separate sheet clarifying the 'unknown response' to say what you have already said in your post - tell them what she does know and explain that this is all she knows.

If No, then include what information you do know, leave what you don't blank and explain the responses on a separate sheet of paper.
Old Jun 7th 2020, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

g0ldfinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Estranged father on Schedule A Background Declaration Form?

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Rule No 1 - Always tell the whole truth!

My tuppence worth.

IF you enter what you do know about her father (and leave blank what you do not know), is there any form of validation that the form fails that will stop you printing and signing it with incomplete father information?

If Yes, then perhaps check 'unknown' BUT attach a separate sheet clarifying the 'unknown response' to say what you have already said in your post - tell them what she does know and explain that this is all she knows.

If No, then include what information you do know, leave what you don't blank and explain the responses on a separate sheet of paper.
That's the issue that I ran into. The form won't validate without all of the data fields entered. What you outlined was essentially my plan - attach an additional form explaining the situation.

Thanks again!