Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Entry to Canada for 2 years with common-law partner

Entry to Canada for 2 years with common-law partner

Old Aug 30th 2021, 8:12 am
Just Joined

RRB21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Entry to Canada for 2 years with common-law partner

I'm looking for some advice on whether it is possible for my common-law partner to accompany me to Canada for a 2-year job position that I have recently been offered. If anyone could get back to me today I would greatly appreciate it, as I am required to accept/reject this job offer by the end of the day today and I do not want to accept the offer unless it is possible for my partner to join me in Canada!

I am a UK citizen and have been offered a 2-year position as a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Northern British Columbia. My common-law partner, who is a Belgian citizen, will be accompanying me but will not be employed in Canada as he will be continuing his PhD at Edinburgh University remotely from Canada. Will it be possible for my partner to live with me in Canada for 2 years while I am employed at the university (even though he will not be employed in Canada)? If so, which visa(s) / permit(s) would he be required to apply for?

Many thanks in advance for your help!
Old Aug 30th 2021, 10:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entry to Canada for 2 years with common-law partner

Hi, welcome to BE.

Can I just double check, when you say 'common-law partner', have you lived together for a year or more in a marriage like relationship and can prove it?

And do you know what visa or type of work permit you will be on?

The answer to your questions will depend on that info, so let us know and we'll try and help.
Old Aug 30th 2021, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much for getting back to me, I appreciate it!
To confirm, we can prove that we have lived together for more than a year in a marriage-like relationship.
I think I would be on an employer-specific work permit, although I haven't received any information from my employer about this.
Old Aug 30th 2021, 12:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Okey dokey. So on the assumption that you're on a 'normal' LMIA exempt work permit (which is what postdoc fellows are normally on), then yes, your partner could accompany you (and would also get an open work permit for the same duration).

Your university really should be advising you on this though, I've never known one not have a department that helps with the visa/immigration side of things?

Old Aug 30th 2021, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much for letting me know about this, that's so helpful!

So if he was given an open work permit, would it be mandatory for him to get a job in Canada during the 2-year period? (He won't have a lot of time for this because he will be working on his PhD full-time.)

I can't seem to find a webpage with this information about common-law partners of people with LMIA-exempt work permits. Do you know where I can get this kind of information?

Hopefully the uni will provide some more help with this once I accept the offer, I just wanted to make sure before I accept that my partner would definitely be able to come with me!
Old Aug 30th 2021, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RRB21
Thanks so much for letting me know about this, that's so helpful!

So if he was given an open work permit, would it be mandatory for him to get a job in Canada during the 2-year period? (He won't have a lot of time for this because he will be working on his PhD full-time.)

I can't seem to find a webpage with this information about common-law partners of people with LMIA-exempt work permits. Do you know where I can get this kind of information?

Hopefully the uni will provide some more help with this once I accept the offer, I just wanted to make sure before I accept that my partner would definitely be able to come with me!
No it isn't mandatory that he get a job but the option is there should he wish to. Just take our word for it that if you can prove common law status then the other person is entitled to what is called a spousal open work permit. If spouse arrives with you then I suggest having proof of relationship with you and applying for the spousal open work permit and paying the applicable fees at the port of entry when you will be issued your work permit.
Old Aug 30th 2021, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Entry to Canada for 2 years with common-law partner

Ok that's brilliant. Thank you very much to both of you for taking the time to help us with this!
Old Aug 30th 2021, 2:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by RRB21
Here you go - https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...num=177&top=17

HTH.