Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

entering as a visitor to begin with.....

entering as a visitor to begin with.....

Old Apr 9th 2015, 7:05 am
Just Joined

charlieworm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default entering as a visitor to begin with.....

Hello all!

I discovered you a few months ago doing research on how to be with my Canadian boyfriend and you helped me see that a visitor visa or marriage is the only option for us to be together!
So....
our plan is for me to go there on a visitor visa initially and after which we intend to get married and apply for PR (all being well!)
my questions are as follows:

-Is it usual to be granted a 6 month visa?
(I've read that it's not a given)

-How honest should I be with the immigration officer?

-Should I transfer all of my savings into my current account and take a bank statement with me?

-I am planning on buying a return ticket anyway and I do have strong ties to my home and family here but I won't have a job to come back to , would this matter to them?

-Can I get married on a visitor visa and then apply for PR?

Thanks for all your help
Old Apr 9th 2015, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: entering as a visitor to begin with.....

There are too many variables to give you a definitive answer.
How old are you and what is your occupation and are you currently employed?
How long have you been dating and have you been to Canada before?
An officer dependent on numerous circumstances can give you up to 12 months with written authorization as a visitor but the normal is up to 6 months without written authorization.
The slightest hint of being untruthful or having a story not believable is a big red flag.
Having proof of funds is a bonus especially if wishing to stay longer than the average visitor.
Yes you can get married and submit an application but there is no guarantee you can remain in Canada all of the time. Has the wedding been planned and if so how long ago.
More information required.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 11:00 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your quick reply!
I didn't realise I could get a visitor visa for anything longer than 6 months

I am 39
I am currently employed but it's a zero hours contract in catering and I don't qualify for any of the occupations for a TWP - hence why we have decided I should go over for 6 months initially
I sold my share in my house last January, moved into my parents' to save more deposit to buy my own place, then lost my job 6 weeks later! and haven't had a very well paid job since.
However, I have around £20,000 in savings because of this.

We've been going out since March last year and he proposed in September.
He travels through the UK regularly for work so we have been meeting here. I have been to Canada but when I was travelling 20 years ago! We did consider my going over for a holiday but, to be honest, we felt buying 2 flights to Vancouver in a year was pointless as we both know we want to be together (not getting any younger!) so we decided to just jump in with both feet!

I am just trying to work and save as much as possible as I understand I may not be able to work for at least a year in Canada.
I would much rather be truthful! - it's all fairly straightforward, anyway, and I know I will probably have to come back to the UK at some point for a bit.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Oh, and if you mean has the wedding been planned as in booked, then no.
We just want a quiet ceremony in a registry office, probably in Canada but wherever makes more sense
Old Apr 9th 2015, 12:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I'd marry first, return to the UK then only go over for a longer stint once you've got a PR application in the works.

The general advice to be allowed to stay as a visitor whilst PR is processed is to actually have got to the first stage before you go over, as a spousal app is 'dual intent', so you're allowed to wait in Canada for PR. But if you go before you've even applied for PR, then you are at risk of getting refused entry, and I'd say much higher risk given that you're living with your parents and have no regular job.

FL is best placed to advice you on your chances of entry, but I wouldn't risk it personally and would wait until a PR app is submitted (and you have proof of that) before trying to enter as a long term visitor. This Wiki article may be useful reading - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...d:_Dual_Intent

Best of luck.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

I was intending to go for 6 months because I am slightly cautious by nature and would rather have lived with the person I'm going to marry before we tie the knot
(although I really have no doubts!)
then come home for a visit and go back on a 2nd visitor visa to get married.

but you recommend going over as a visitor and getting married, then coming back for a bit to start my application before going over again?

I have stayed living at my parents' because my dad has got rather old over the past year (he's just turned 84) more as moral support and general physical help for my mum
also, I live in a small seaside town where it is nigh on impossible to find long term lets due to 2nd home owners.
I don't know whether the age of my parents would show ties to the UK, ironically, we plan to settle here (and my intended's granddad was English) but he has a good job and a 17 year old son who he wants to see settled in uni before he moves
falling for a Canadian wasn't part of my game plan!!

thanks again for your advice
Old Apr 9th 2015, 8:35 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlieworm
I was intending to go for 6 months because I am slightly cautious by nature and would rather have lived with the person I'm going to marry before we tie the knot
(although I really have no doubts!)
then come home for a visit and go back on a 2nd visitor visa to get married.

but you recommend going over as a visitor and getting married, then coming back for a bit to start my application before going over again?

I have stayed living at my parents' because my dad has got rather old over the past year (he's just turned 84) more as moral support and general physical help for my mum
also, I live in a small seaside town where it is nigh on impossible to find long term lets due to 2nd home owners.
I don't know whether the age of my parents would show ties to the UK, ironically, we plan to settle here (and my intended's granddad was English) but he has a good job and a 17 year old son who he wants to see settled in uni before he moves
falling for a Canadian wasn't part of my game plan!!

thanks again for your advice
You could always book a flexible ticket showing you are coming for maybe a month, and see what happens. If they allow you the standard 6 months when you land, then change your outgoing flight and stay to the end of the 6 months. If they only allow you a month then you can try applying for an extension online and see what happens.

The point we are making is that there are no guarantees if you'll get the 6 months.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

it's all really good advice and you have all answered the questions that i have had going around in my mind!

thanks for clarifying everything

fingers crossed for a 6 month visa!