entering canada on a train

Old Nov 27th 2004, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

nervous_wreck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default entering canada on a train

Hi guys,
I am still contemplating my move some time in early 2005. the thing is i have a lot of stuff some electronics, some books etc that i really don't wanna get rid of.

Another thing is i suppose shipping all the stuff to canada might be too expensive (since it'll come in seperate boxes).

I was wondering in this context if it would be possible to cross the border on a train (with one of those rail passes)..they have a check in limit of 3 bags (each weighing 50 pounds) plus three additional bags with similar specs.
This seems like the best option to move. I was just wondering if anyone out there has attempted a similar move. I am planning on getting to the border on amtrak and then shifting to via rail. gives me a chance to see the country first hand plus takes care of my baggage transportation.

I am interested in knowing what sort of immigration formalities need to be taken care of at the border..i mean i need to have enough time for it before getting back onto the train. Else, i can always take the next train (maybe coming in a day later).

All opinions are welcome.
Thanks
Old Nov 27th 2004, 7:41 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: entering canada on a train

Hi NW

QUOTE=nervous_wreck]Hi guys,
I am still contemplating my move some time in early 2005. the thing is i have a lot of stuff some electronics, some books etc that i really don't wanna get rid of.

Another thing is i suppose shipping all the stuff to canada might be too expensive (since it'll come in seperate boxes).

I was wondering in this context if it would be possible to cross the border on a train (with one of those rail passes)..they have a check in limit of 3 bags (each weighing 50 pounds) plus three additional bags with similar specs.
This seems like the best option to move. I was just wondering if anyone out there has attempted a similar move. I am planning on getting to the border on amtrak and then shifting to via rail. gives me a chance to see the country first hand plus takes care of my baggage transportation.

I am interested in knowing what sort of immigration formalities need to be taken care of at the border..i mean i need to have enough time for it before getting back onto the train. Else, i can always take the next train (maybe coming in a day later).

All opinions are welcome.
Thanks[/QUOTE]

Probably not a good idea, there is an extremely good chance that train will not stop at the border. Usually what happens is that at some POES Customs meets the train, on the US side and clears visitors as the train crosses the border. Immigration does not usually meet the train. You have to get off and attend the Immigration office to activate your visa and process your PR card. It means that you would have to haul your luggage office the train and get it to the Immigration office. An example is at Vancouver, where the train is cleared by Customs when it reaches Vancouver, and does not stop at the Border. There is no setup at the train station for processing Immigrants. You would have to check what POE you would be going through.

PMM