Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Entering Canada before 1st anniversary of Medical

Entering Canada before 1st anniversary of Medical

Old Jul 15th 2005, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Scoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the rough
Default Entering Canada before 1st anniversary of Medical

HI Guys, please can you confirm whether you have to enter canada before the first anniversary of your medical when you get your visa?? ... im a bit perplexed why this has to happen? :scared: :scared:
Old Jul 15th 2005, 4:46 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Entering Canada before 1st anniversary of Medical

You must land in Canada before expiration of your PR visa or it is gone. PR visa will be valid for up to 12 months from medicals, or less if your passport expires sooner.

Why? because medicals are valid for 12 months only.

Why you ask? Don't you want to move to Canada ASAP? Isn't that why you applied in the first place?

Originally Posted by Scoobsta
HI Guys, please can you confirm whether you have to enter canada before the first anniversary of your medical when you get your visa?? ... im a bit perplexed why this has to happen? :scared: :scared:
Old Jul 15th 2005, 6:32 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller

Why you ask? Don't you want to move to Canada ASAP? Isn't that why you applied in the first place?
Are you really curious?

I cannot answer for the OP, but personally although I would LOVE to move to Canada ASAP (when I get a visa), with the uncertainties of the the application process and the official recommendation that no irreversible steps are taken before the visa is issued, the practicalities of moving can take months to organise. For example (admittedly specifically for the UK), the process of selling a house can take up to 5 months, even after a buyer has been found (which can itself take 12+ months), employment notice periods can be up to 3 months, children have examinations to sit, etc.

Life would be much easier for applicants to rearrange if there was more certainty over exactly how long the official process is going to take. Waiting between 18 months and 4 years for a decision is a big uncertainty to plan your move around or put your life on hold for.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 6:51 pm

Nothing prevents you from landing and then going back to UK to do all what you mentioned.

Originally Posted by acer rose
Are you really curious?

I cannot answer for the OP, but personally although I would LOVE to move to Canada ASAP (when I get a visa), with the uncertainties of the the application process and the official recommendation that no irreversible steps are taken before the visa is issued, the practicalities of moving can take months to organise. For example (admittedly specifically for the UK), the process of selling a house can take up to 5 months, even after a buyer has been found (which can itself take 12+ months), employment notice periods can be up to 3 months, children have examinations to sit, etc.

Life would be much easier for applicants to rearrange if there was more certainty over exactly how long the official process is going to take. Waiting between 18 months and 4 years for a decision is a big uncertainty to plan your move around or put your life on hold for.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

balaq8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nothing prevents you from landing and then going back to UK to do all what you mentioned.
Yes, you are right. Nothing prevents us from Landing other than huge amount of money involved for Air ticket and other travel expenses!
Old Jul 15th 2005, 7:51 pm

Don't complain to me please. The law says that if you won't land before visa expires it will be gone, brutal but simple. And 12 months from medicals is plenty of time to arrange everything for the move, hundreds of thousands of new immigrants manage to do it every year without any problems.

Originally Posted by balaq8
Yes, you are right. Nothing prevents us from Landing other than huge amount of money involved for Air ticket and other travel expenses!
Old Jul 15th 2005, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Kazphillips will become famous soon enoughKazphillips will become famous soon enough

What would happen if you don't get your visa before the meds expire?
Old Jul 15th 2005, 10:01 pm

You will get request for new medicals.

In some rare cases applicants who continuously resided in US or Canada since first medicals may have their medicals extended by 2 - 3 months in Buffalo.

Originally Posted by Kazphillips
What would happen if you don't get your visa before the meds expire?
Old Jul 16th 2005, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

juliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the rough

Are you really curious?

You defenatly got a point there, Acer.

Last edited by juliusmaximus; Jul 16th 2005 at 12:54 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 4:53 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by balaq8

The expense of such a trip is small compared to the overall cost of uprooting yourselves from the UK and establishing a new life in Canada. I'd suggest you budget for it in your planning, if it's not required and you can settle in Canada on first landing, consider it a bonus.

Jeremy
Old Jul 16th 2005, 5:19 pm

to balaq8

Jeremy made good point here - immigration is not cheap, it is changing your life completely and you must be able to afford it. The total cost of giving up what you have where you live and then cost of months (if not years) of adapting to new country will exceed many, many times what the minimum amount of settlement fund is required. If you think that just by coming to Canada your financial situation will improve immediately then you are for a shock of your life my friend. Most of the time first generation of immigrants struggle for long time and their kids (second generation) are those who will make it.

If such tiny amount as cost of plane ticket is so huge in the budget you have then please reconsider your plans as you may simply not being able to afford moving here or anywhere for that matter.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 10:01 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear it confirmed by an expert.

Believe me, I want to be able to "settle" in my new home as quickly as possible, but circumstances dictate that I will probably have to land, then go back for a year or so to "tie up the loose ends", so I hope that option is still available when I am actually in a position to land.

I also hope the answer I gave to your question gave you a little insight into why some people may not move to Canada immediately on receipt of the visa.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 10:36 pm

It just doesn't make much sense, sorry. Why apply if you are not ready to make the move? Start process when you know that you can afford it and are ready to do so. Otherwise you are taking processing resources and visa from annual visa quotas that may be allocated to those who are ready to move once they get visas, not years later.

Glad to hear it confirmed by an expert.

Believe me, I want to be able to "settle" in my new home as quickly as possible, but circumstances dictate that I will probably have to land, then go back for a year or so to "tie up the loose ends", so I hope that option is still available when I am actually in a position to land.

I also hope the answer I gave to your question gave you a little insight into why some people may not move to Canada immediately on receipt of the visa.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 10:13 am
talking Ter Sami

It just doesn't make much sense, sorry. Why apply if you are not ready to make the move? Start process when you know that you can afford it and are ready to do so. Otherwise you are taking processing resources and visa from annual visa quotas that may be allocated to those who are ready to move once they get visas, not years later.
What makes you think money is always the issue? Perhaps you are confusing me with another poster? We are in the fortunate position of having sufficient funds to support ourselves (and have had since making our application) should we want to flee the country and leave behind the house, jobs, possessions etc without a backward glance, but having once organised a house move whilst out of the country, it is not something I am prepared to go through again. As my original post pointed out, it is the arrangement of the practicalities of moving home that take the time and "personal touch".

I believe that many people in the past have cautioned against taking irreverisble actions before a decision is made. After all, points requirements can go up, assessment criteria can change, skills can be no longer required long after our application was sent in. We just might not get in!

Perhaps we are overly cautious, but until we are granted the visa, it is difficult to justify having the entire family living out of boxes in temporary accommodation for 1-3 years on the off-chance that tomorrow the envelope might drop through the letter box and we might be allowed to live in Canada. Good luck to those who are in temporary accommodation, be it with understanding family members or in a B&B, and even more kudos to those who are waiting in Canada on temporary work visas. My sympathy to those who, like us, are just waiting for the decision to be made by the Canadian authorities before taking the necessary next steps.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 1:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

What makes you think money is always the issue? Perhaps you are confusing me with another poster?.
Andrew's was responding to someone else who complained about the cost of landing in Canada and returning home to tie up the "loose ends"

Jeremy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.