England to Canada in construction

Old Jun 5th 2018, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

Silvy89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default England to Canada in construction

Hello every one,

Hoping to receive some help regarding my current situation I'm a 29 year old male from England and self employed in construction,I have been looking to move to Canada seriously for the last year,I have no children and am currently single.
i don't score enough points in the EE system (406) when I did the online calculator and that was scoring 8's in my IELTS test that I HAVE'NT taken. I have been in the IEC pool since November 2017 with no luck as of yet!! And with numbers now massively not in my favour I've started to look at other ways to go.

So what to do next..........

i have a full secondary school education
level 2 NVQ in interior systems construction with 2 years on site exsperince and detailed reference
2 years exsperince to date in new home builds exstention and skills in all processes start to finish
my others 8 years of work where in the motor vehicle mechanics trade (no qualification paper work)
but I do wish to stay in construction.
I have £10,000 saved so far so hopefully that will be a good start in life if I can make something happen.

i have found what I believe/hope to be good information on the Ontario website, the Ontario immigration nominee program and it would appear they have demand for NOC 7611 construction trades/help/labour
which I figure would be a great place to start....?? However it states I would need a job offer and one years work exsperince in Canada neither of which I have and I'm a little confused as to how many people would have a years work experience already?

I am totally open to suggestions on what to do next or if there are other programs or visa's available that might be of interest please inform me!!!

I really am considering a trip over to try and secure a job offer and get the ball rolling that way? So would like your thoughts and information on this idea please

i have my full police back ground check
a full and up to date CV/resume and full and very detailed refereance letters of work exsperince
I HAVE NOT done my IELTS Test
and HAVE NOT DONE MY ECA REPORT

thanks for taking the time to read and thanks in advance for any responses
Old Jun 5th 2018, 10:14 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: England to Canada in construction

Hello and welcome to BE!!

I've moved your post to the Immigration forum

If you look at Express Entry - Trades - you will see that the points requirement is MUCH lower.

If you have a specific trade - such as carpenter, roofer, brickie or what have you, look into getting your experience recognised and Certified if it's a regulated trade - do a search for ' (your trade) + equivalency + the Province of your choice' - also look for mechanic equivalency + Province, as it's getting here as a PR that is important, not which profession you use - you can work at what ever you like once you have it!

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 5th 2018 at 10:18 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2018, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much for the reply and moving my post to a better suited forum, I will be sure to take your advice and look in to exspress entry trades, when you say to get my exprecince certified are you referring to getting my ECA done?

Old Jun 5th 2018, 11:34 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silvy89
Thank you very much for the reply and moving my post to a better suited forum, I will be sure to take your advice and look in to exspress entry trades, when you say to get my exprecince certified are you referring to getting my ECA done?

Hi, you are most welcome!
No, not your ECA.

In Canada, many of the Trades are regulated and require certification. Each Province has a different 'body' that oversees the certification for their Province.

In order to apply for PR (under Federal Skilled Worker - Trades) you either have to have a valid job offer .. which means a permanent full time job offer that the employer has been granted an LMIA for. OR Trade Certification. (which also increases your points)
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ed-trades.html

Here's a list of the Provincial bodies that you can look at to see if your trade is a regulated one and how you can get 'equivalency'. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...html#provinces

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 5th 2018 at 11:38 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 10:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Got to agree with Siouxie, if your occupation is one of those that is eligible for you to apply under FST, then that's the way to go. Much lower points requirement for FST apps than FSW (last one was 288 or above, last week).

In case you're not aware, your NVQ isn't likely to be worth any points for education, as only academic qualifications are assessed, not vocational ones. But if you apply under FST you won't need those points anyway, and it also won't matter that you'll lose points at your next birthday.

HTH, best of luck.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 10:54 am
Just Joined

Brilliant information thank you both very much the FST is not something I have looked in to yet so will do so immediately.

Siouxie I have used the link you provided to find out is my trade is regulated I was presented with this information:
noc 7284
skill type 7
skill level B
regulation is blank so I presume it's not a regulated trade? What does this mean for me?
MRA yes
Red seal yes

what is MRA and red seal?

Christmasoompa if I was to come out to Canada to try and secure a job offer would this help me?dose dealing with people face to face help? I would be more than happy to do that and even work a trial period for free if needed I fully understand that the LMIA process isn't something everyone will do but there must be building company's that will for the right person
Old Jun 6th 2018, 11:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant information thank you both very much the FST is not something I have looked in to yet so will do so immediately.

Siouxie I have used the link you provided to find out is my trade is regulated I was presented with this information:
noc 7284
skill type 7
skill level B
regulation is blank so I presume it's not a regulated trade? What does this mean for me?
MRA yes
Red seal yes

Christmasoompa if I was to come out to Canada to try and secure a job offer would this help me?dose dealing with people face to face help? I would be more than happy to do that and even work a trial period for free if needed I fully understand that the LMIA process isn't something everyone will do but there must be building company's that will for the right person
Red Seal is another way of saying provincial certification essentially - meaning you need to take the 'Red Seal' exam to be able to work there (which then also qualifies you for FST as above).

And yes, if you want a job offer before you go (although you don't need one for FST if you are provincially certified), then the advice is definitely to get out there. Have a read of the Job Hunting section for the Wiki for more info. Unfortunately I don't think your occupation is in demand in Canada (https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...ation/21540/ca), but if you can get PR without needing a job offer then you don't have to work in that job once there anyway.

Good luck.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 12:52 pm
Banned

noc 7284
skill type 7
skill level B
MRA yes
Red seal yes

It appears to be a regulated trade in all the Provinces.

If you go to the following link, it shows you and has links to the governing bodies in each Province: https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...ments/21540/ca

If you have 8 years experience in motor mechanics, did you do an apprenticeship or was it 'on the job training'? Might be worth checking the equivalency out for that too.

Just as an aside "Red Seal" is an Endorsement on Provincial Certification, which enables you to work anywhere in Canada, it is NOT Provincial Certification on it's own.

Red Seal Program / Red Seal
Tradespersons who have successfully passed the Red Seal examination receive a Red Seal endorsement on their provincial/territorial trade certificate. The Red Seal, when affixed to a provincial or territorial trade certificate, indicates that a tradesperson has demonstrated the knowledge required for the national standard in that trade.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 6th 2018 at 1:07 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 4:24 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone can work in drywalling and it seems often do, with or without qualification, getting a job depends how short of labour a contractor is and pay is less for non certified. Some provinces differ in their requirements.

There are regulated and non regulated trades. Non regulated trades can still be certified and some are Red Seal recognised.
A regulated trade is one such are overseen by a regulatory body, such as a gas fitter overseen in BC by Safety BC Apprentice & Labour Mobility | ITA BC and require licensing.

Last edited by Aviator; Jun 6th 2018 at 4:27 pm.